Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11 Putter Review

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Picked up a Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT #11 recently, and thought I'd share my thoughts and observations.

First a little background, I don't change putters often, but will try something different on occasion. I used mallet putters way back when, then went to a blade (Anser style) that I used for years. I got interested in the concept of the 2-ball putters for alignment purposes, thought it would be fun to try a bigger mallet style putter, so messed around with them a bit, and ended up getting an Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang, and loved it. Long story short, I had the version that had issues with the face insert, Odyssey fixed it at no charge, replacing the insert with their newer O-Works Microhinge version for me. I still love the look and balance of that putter, but do not get along with the new insert, the feel just isn't there for me, and I can't get my speed right with it. So I started looking at other options, really leaning towards another mallet, but this time with a milled face instead of an insert. Enter the Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11.

I had read reviews on the Cleveland HB SOFTs, was very interested, and found a local shop that carried them. Rolling them in the store, and the positive reviews, was enough to get me to pull the trigger on the #11.

HB SOFT 05.jpg

I've had the new stick out for a couple of practice sessions, and two rounds, and I am definitely very happy with it. I immediately got my feel for speed back with this one, have drained some pretty long ones (when I can read the break correctly), and more important, my short putts (inside 5') have improved beyond any conceivable expectations.
I think I had forgotten how nice the sound and feel of a steel faced putter is, having rolled putters with inserts for so long, but what a difference. The feel is solid, without being harsh, and the sound is a nice muted "toc" on center hits, getting slightly higher in pitch as you stray off center, which is feedback I appreciate. Cleveland says the SOFT stands for Speed Optimized Face Technology, basically it is their unique milling patterns, individual to each model, to help get a better roll on off-center hits. So far it is working for me.

HB SOFT 03.jpg

Weight and balance are what I expected from this style putter, the single alignment line is effective, and for me this style of putter lines up easily anyway. The satin finish is nice, maybe not up to the standards of some putters that cost twice as much or more (these retail for just $129), but still a nice finish that doesn't create glare problems, and doesn't look cheap.

HB SOFT 04.jpg

HB SOFT 01.jpg

It comes stock with an oversize grip, it is the size I prefer, and so far I don't see myself changing it.

HB SOFT 02.jpg

The head cover is also pretty nice, with the exception of what for me is the only negative so far, a velcro closure. Its just a little thing, but I much prefer the magnetic closures over velcro. I have a fix for that I'll likely do eventually, and being the only gripe I have with the whole thing, pretty insignificant.

HB SOFT 06.jpg

HB SOFT 07.jpg

Well, that pretty much covers it. I think Cleveland has a real winner here with the Huntington Beach SOFT line. An affordable, well made, milled face putter, with I believe six models, both blade and mallet. I'm pretty sure this one will be staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I love my 11 C's great review

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back