Tying to ball on budget- Taylormade M4 purchase

KCSmitty

Reaction score
Handicap
All of it.
Sorry for no visuals at the time!--- After a few years of bag and game go down the drain and talking with @2BFAST (Brian) about my current set-up I decided it was time for a new driver. I was hitting (Taylormade RBZ Black 9*, on standard settings) and just buying what ever I could on sell that "looked" to be decent, not truly realizing the impact it had on my game.

With that said, I knew my wife would castrate me for spending the money on the newest and best. After a couple rounds with poor service at some of the bigger box retailers, I settled in at Edwin Watts golf store. I explained to the guy helping me what my price range was...

We settle in on 4 drivers to test.

Taylormade M4, 9* w/ amtos 70g

Cobra F8+, 9* w/ Aldila NV Green 65g

Ping G400, 8.5* w/ Pings x-stiff tour 65g

Wilson C300, 9* w/ unsure of the shaft but was x-stiff

All produced better #'s than what I was hitting,
Spin RateBall SpeedClub SpeedTotalLaunch AngAttach Ang
M42864165.61142919.91.9
F8+3020169.211529410.21.7
G4003315163.211328410.61.9
C3003364158.611426611.12

Needless to say I wore myself out after about 15 balls per club, but the end result was I walked out of the store with the Taylormade M4 for right at $250.00 with a lousy trade in of $52.

Have a round planned tomorrow so looking forward to seeing the results. I will keep everyone posted.

Why did you go with the M4 over the f8+ looks like the club head and ball speed as well was distance were higher

Why did you go with the M4 over the f8+ looks like the club head and ball speed as well was distance were higher
Decision came down to feel. The f8 just didn't feel as crisp. And I also seem to be more consistently off line with the f8.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And I also seem to be more consistently off line with the f8.

I don't think I ever asked, I assumed the dispersion on the M4 was pretty good?

Decision came down to feel. The f8 just didn't feel as crisp. And I also seem to be more consistently off line with the f8.

Got it, I figured it had to be dispersion or feel

I don't think I ever asked, I assumed the dispersion on the M4 was pretty good?
Definitely tighter with the m4. Again that's only with launch monitor data so we'll see what the real result holds

i would have gone F8+ the G400 just due to forgiveness on both being better IMO than the M4. I still think the OG M2 in a loft fit for you would be better than M4.

Definitely tighter with the m4. Again that's only with launch monitor data so we'll see what the real result holds

Be easy on us short pokers in a few weeks!

Be easy on us short pokers in a few weeks!
I'll be curious to see some real results. Not to mention this doesn't fix my swing by all means, a deep ball in the woods doesn't do anybody any good.

You have your AoA showing positive....were they positive?

You have your AoA showing positive....were they positive?
No sir. It was negative.

Welcome to the club

Did you like the heavier shaft more?
After some time at the range, the most noticable factor for me was the stability

After some time at the range, the most noticable factor for me was the stability

Must be rough having clubhead speed.........

Look forward to seeing you hit this in a few weeks Smitty!

Back