Anyone ever use adhesive "wheel weights" on a driver

Switter

Swing Hitter
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently got some scrap wheel weights from a tire store to build a weighted driver.... they gave a couple handfuls of scrap weights which included some square weights in 2.5, 5 & 10 grams with adhesive tape that adheres the weight to the tire.... Golf Works offers a similar alternative replacement for lead tape...

Has anyone ever used this style of wheel weights on a driver to maintain proper sw when shortening a shaft....

Rubber Tungsten Swingweight Tape

http://www.golfworks.com/rubber-tungsten-swingweight-tape/p/GW0054/

Paint black and attach???

2016-03-24-07-50-17--98589241.jpeg

Last edited:
Got to admit, it never even occurred to me before but I don't see why they wouldn't work!

Got to admit, it never even occurred to me before but I don't see why they wouldn't work!

When I was making an old driver heavier using wheel weights, I took a hammer and thinned the lead wheel weight to get the lead to evenly flow into the driver head... Thats when the idea struck... after that I took a U.S. quarter $ coin and placed it over top of a 5 gram soft lead wheel weight and started pounding it thinner & rounder... results were so - so. Its really e-z to thin out / flatten the lead weights with the adhesive backing in place. Hence, square can easily become whatever shape you want or require.

Getting ready to cut a driver from 46" to 44.5" and think I'm gonna give the wheel weights a try.

The thought also occurs to me that an adhesive velcro strip could be attached to the back of some putters, maybe even drivers.... then place a piece of velcro on the lead weights enabling the weights to be moved around & adjusted. An experimenter can purchase velcro in many shapes... a round 3/8 diameter piece of velcro sits nicely on a 5 gram weight.

It seems to me that velcro & wheel weights are possibly the easiest universal way to temporarily experiment with weighting clubs....

Thoughts???

I rounded them and wrapped it in grip wrap and stuffed it at the butt end of the shaft. For your case, I'm not sure how you'd add it to the head, but I don't see why not. I use lead tape for that if the head doesn't have a weight port.

I actually did try this and on the very first swing they flew off. I dont think the tape is strong enough to hold onto the clubhead.

I rounded them and wrapped it in grip wrap and stuffed it at the butt end of the shaft. For your case, I'm not sure how you'd add it to the head, but I don't see why not. I use lead tape for that if the head doesn't have a weight port.

I know some guys who will cut the heads off of bolts and hot glue them in the butt of the shaft.

I have often wondered & pondered if fishing lead "split-shot" also couldnt be used to weight a shaft near the head using a 3/16" or less wood dowel to push the lead shot to the bottom of the shaft. Split-shot is really soft and could be opened a little to get it to lodge in the lower part of the shaft... could do the same at the butt end too.

However I have never heard of anyone trying this means of application to weight the shaft. Dont know how much it may alter the flex of the shaft, maybe even cause some damage to it.

Just dont know.

There are tip weights that do what you describe, it's cheap and easy to put in.

It's not big enough of an issue to change the cg in the driver but in the irons it might shift the cg to the heel side. But either way, look into tip weights, probably the easiest way to go about it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back