Are you a 'more club' or 'swing harder' type of golfer?

I know the correct answer is supposed to be "more club." But, when I'm between clubs and try to swing easier with more club, I tend to miss the shot -- usually coming out of it.

I made a decision to take the lower club and focus on swinging through the shot, not swinging harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually, when I swing harder, I have not so good results. Thus, I'm trying to take more club and swinging better.

Usually more club, swing easier.

However, I have found that I get MORE distance with the club I am hoping to swing harder when I make a fuller turn, concentrate on creating lag, and swing easier.

So the answer is I do not swing harder, I try to swing smoother!!

I have been taking an extra club and choking down - if I try to "kill" a shot I tend to speed up my tempo and the results can be interesting...

Like I always say, I ain't too proud, I take more club. More often than not I'm the guy with the hybrid or the fairway wood when everybody else is hitting irons. It's all right, during those times, usually I'm also the only one on the green.

More club.... always.

Between irons, with a good lie, ill club up and choke down.
If lie is bad or in rough, ill club down and swing harder.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

In my head, I am definitely a more club guy...... but sometimes I act foolishly on the course, and think that I can just muscle one for the extra distance...... and other times I take more club and absolutely blast one past it's intended destination.

Those recoveries are always fun when you just murder a ball past where you want it.

More club in my case... Swing harder is usually not good for my blood pressure!

I'll be brutally honest - I don't always know for sure if I'm between clubs, right on, or a full club off. I mean, it's like this: I'm looking at a shot of 140 yards. Okay, that's an 8I. Oops... but there is a breeze, right to left and about 45° against - up a half club - choked down 7I. No wait, it's 15 feet uphill - add a club to a club and a half - full 6I. That's about 2 clubs total. But I'm not hitting great today, so maybe that's another half club - choked 5I. Ah screw it, I'll just take the 7I and nuke it.

Now I'm playing my next shot from about 70 yards, and I still have a similar dilemma, only from half the distance. Face it - this is all too often the reality for many of us here.

With irons I take more club and grip down an inch or so depending on the distance required. With my fairway woods or hybrid I swing a little bit harder. So I guess I'm a little bit of both.

I learned long ago that taking more club and making a smooth/easy swing doesn't usually work for me. A lot of times I would either ease up too much and not get it to the target or swing smooth and pure it over everything. So I used the Nicklaus method and take the lower club and smash it but that didn't always work out too well sometimes either.

Now I use one of two options depending on the shot needed: (a) a stock swing with the longer club choked down or (b) a low punch type shot that will one hope & stop, which usually requires two more clubs as it's an aggressive but abbreviated swing.

Awesome question. I'm a swing harder guy and that needs to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be brutally honest - I don't always know for sure if I'm between clubs, right on, or a full club off. I mean, it's like this: I'm looking at a shot of 140 yards. Okay, that's an 8I. Oops... but there is a breeze, right to left and about 45° against - up a half club - choked down 7I. No wait, it's 15 feet uphill - add a club to a club and a half - full 6I. That's about 2 clubs total. But I'm not hitting great today, so maybe that's another half club - choked 5I. Ah screw it, I'll just take the 7I and nuke it.

Now I'm playing my next shot from about 70 yards, and I still have a similar dilemma, only from half the distance. Face it - this is all too often the reality for many of us here.
THIS^^^^^^^^^

Back