Would You Join A Resort Course?

Maybe this is area specific, but there is no comparison between private and resort/semi-private courses around here. Private courses are empty while semi/resort are generally full. The resort course I played yesterday was packed and our tee time was even bumped a little to allow members to go in front of us. It's a big difference between privates and the others up here and really, most privates are cost prohibitive for most people. But even the 9 hole I belonged to for a few years was fairly empty most of the time, even though the cost was on par with most semi/resort memberships. Maybe the 9-hole nature of the club kept the flocks away.

I've looked into joining a couple resorts as I thought it might be good for getaways (Hershey and Seaview). I enjoy the courses at both, but crowds would be hinderance at both and couldn't figure out what I'd be paying for. Although not a resort, I know Roycebrook is a semi and has 2 courses, one of which is reserved for members. I'd be interested to see how their play is on the members course, as the public one gets lots of play, even though it's pricey.

If there was a resort course where crowds weren't an issue and offered upscale amenities of a private club on a course I enjoyed playing, I'd check it out for sure. That place just doesn't exist around here though.

I would probably consider it depending in cost, benefits, tee time availability, and probably area.

I can't compare apples to apples since we don't have any resorts locally. However, I go to a course just to play golf. Would it be nice to have a locker-room and preferred tee times? Sure, but I'm not interested in the social functions or swimming in the pool. Besides, if I wanted, I can play a lot of golf at top shelf courses for less money than the monthly dues at the private courses in the area.

I would. There are certainly good and bad to consider though. I played Pinehurst #2 with a member, and also played TPC Sawgrass with a member. Have to deal with maybe a bit more slow play than normal courses because the "resort golfers" are taking everything in, including posing for pictures at signature holes and the like. And then some really bad golfers that just have money and want to play these bucket list courses, not that there is anything wrong with that, because the are iconic courses. I got the feeling that they both usually play in groups with just members, but they still may see this in front and behind them while out on the course. Both also took a lot of pride in being a member, which was cool too.

I looked hard at this when moving to DFW, the Sporting Club at the Four Seasons has a TPC course and the Cottonwood Valley course. Initially I was under the impression that guest/resort play was allowed in blocks at the TPC and the Cottonwood was 100% member only. During one of my two preview rounds a member came clean that both are open to guest play so I punted. Nice courses but for the price they wanted at the time I wasn't interested in paying it without the exclusivity.

Last edited:
I would, the closest resort course to me is probably Pinehurst. I'd join there but it's kinda far and the last time I checked the initiation fee was closer to the cost of my house than I was willing to pay :alien:

It would have to have dedicated members tee time and lots of other amenities for me to consider it. I wouldn't discount the idea just because it's a resort course though.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

i wouldn't be against it but I don't think it would be my first choice

A resort here has a Summer membership which is reasonable but has increased ever summer they also have annuals(very pricey). The Facilities are top notch, 36 holes, tennis, beach, etc. We have done the Summer Membership the past 5 years or so.

I probably would as long as there were 2 or more 18's and one stayed closed for members only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe this is area specific, but there is no comparison between private and resort/semi-private courses around here. Private courses are empty while semi/resort are generally full. The resort course I played yesterday was packed and our tee time was even bumped a little to allow members to go in front of us. It's a big difference between privates and the others up here and really, most privates are cost prohibitive for most people. But even the 9 hole I belonged to for a few years was fairly empty most of the time, even though the cost was on par with most semi/resort memberships. Maybe the 9-hole nature of the club kept the flocks away.

I've looked into joining a couple resorts as I thought it might be good for getaways (Hershey and Seaview). I enjoy the courses at both, but crowds would be hinderance at both and couldn't figure out what I'd be paying for. Although not a resort, I know Roycebrook is a semi and has 2 courses, one of which is reserved for members. I'd be interested to see how their play is on the members course, as the public one gets lots of play, even though it's pricey.

If there was a resort course where crowds weren't an issue and offered upscale amenities of a private club on a course I enjoyed playing, I'd check it out for sure. That place just doesn't exist around here though.

I've been on the West course at Royce Brook a few times and it was always in good shape. There were people on the course, but nothing that I would call crowded or even very busy. Small sample size though.

Regarding resorts, it might depend on whether course access is restricted to guests only or not. I didn't think that Bay Hill was very busy when I was there (guests only), but a few of the courses at the resort where Canio works always seem packed (also public play).

No. I hate tourists.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

what I did learn in regards to certain Resort clubs around here is the annual dues(possibly initiation) are all you pay no food minimums, no annual capital contribution and/or potential of assesments

Depends mostly. Places like Aviara that isn't super busy or The Grand where only hotel guests can play I would. If the tee shot is booked 24/7 normally then I wouldn't.

I would have to agree with the guys on having 36 holes with 18 closed to members only. I know I would get annoyed with tourists really fast.

There is also a big difference once you get about that 25-50k initiation fee up front or even higher compared to one you can get in for basically close to the yearly fee.

I would, the closest resort course to me is probably Pinehurst. I'd join there but it's kinda far and the last time I checked the initiation fee was closer to the cost of my house than I was willing to pay :alien:

It would have to have dedicated members tee time and lots of other amenities for me to consider it. I wouldn't discount the idea just because it's a resort course though.

If you move to the village the membership is really not to bad ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Have not played but one resort course and it was really well maintained and not tourist season. Had a great time, if it was like that all the time then yes it would be worth it to me. Of course I'm a little bit spoiled - I'm a member of the local country club, nicely maintained course, pool, tennis courts and clubhouse. NO tee times! walk on on and play almost any day. The are tournament and events throughout the year but plenty of playing time.

If you move to the village the membership is really not to bad ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOL. I just looked it up. It's not as bad as I thought, but a solid 20k more than my car for the initiation fee, and more than my car payment monthly is a bit more than the wife will let me get away with. On the other hand the kid will probably get a scholarship right?

The course I am currently a member of doubles as a resort course in High Season. It is the worse possible time to play golf. Unless you want to tee off as the sun is barely rising pretty much all the tee times are booked until 1pm. IF I am lucky enough to get a morning tee time, pace of play is so slow as the majority of vistors are playing from the tips regardless of how far they can hit the ball. The marshals are literally useless at speeding up play or telling 4 somes and 5 somes to allow 2 balls through.

There is no priority for members and at times they make you feel like a outcast or burden. We have regular caddies there and they try their best to speak with the groups in front caddies and let us play through sometimes this works most of the time it doesn't. The guests will also stop at every drinks stop, I use that as an opportunity to play through. This year has been the worst and there have been heated discussions with the groups in front. It has got so bad there now that I am about to join another 27 hole country club that has preferential tee times for members, 2 separate members groups who hold competitions 3 times a week, only ten minutes from my house and the best part is the green fees are 200 Thai baht or 6 USD for members as opposed to 36 USD for non members.

Re-reading that burst, NO I would not join a resort course (again).

Tee times & slow play would be a huge factor for me, so probably not

Assuming money isn't an issue for me, I would only do it if their were multiple courses to play and one course each day was designated for "member only" play.

In a perfect world I would say no, it would just be too crowded!

I think I might if I loved the course there's a curse he buy me called Geneva National in Wisconsin they have 3 courses and they rotate them so one of them is always closed to the public for members only each day

Not sure if I would or not. I'm sure the amenities would be top notch but the influx of golfers would be difficult to manage. The course would most likely always be busy.

Heck no. Every resort course I've played with course members complain about the "guests" on the course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back