MichiganGripRip

Allegedly
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else enjoy the occasional anime? I grew up in the Toonami era so I have a childhood love of Dragonball Z and Gundam.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How far down the rabbit hole you want to go? Never really got into Gundam but I do enjoy lots of different ones. Got my wife to watching them about 12 years ago and she still makes fun of me when I find a new one.

How far down the rabbit hole you want to go? Never really got into Gundam but I do enjoy lots of different ones. Got my wife to watching them about 12 years ago and she still makes fun of me when I find a new one.
Oh I've been down the rabbit hole. Just recently started watching Assassination Classroom

Loved Dragon Ball Z growing up.
Now One of my favorites is sword art online.

Oh I've been down the rabbit hole. Just recently started watching Assassination Classroom

That one is pretty good, manga was fantastic. One punch man is really funny, Toriko is not bad, and Samurai Champloo is one of my favorites. I have heard good things about Mob Psycho 100 but have yet to sit down to watch it. Helsing Ultimate is really good, Drifters is by the same author and is on par. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a favorite. Juni Taisen: Zodiac Wars manga was good and the couple episodes of the anime I have seen was good too. I am currently waiting on the Dragon Ball Super Broly to come out for rent have to wait another 2 weeks. The new Dragon Ball Super is right in line with the orginal.

I used to be pretty big into anime when I was in my 20s but I havent watched it in years. I used to be into Samurau X/Rourouni Kenshin, Lensman, Ninja Scroll, Bleach, Rah Xephon and Evangenion.
Its funny because my Netflix thinks Im still into anime and it recommends new ones to me all the time but none of them really interest me all that much. I guess Im much more into the older, darker anime. A lot of the stuff today seems more like a Saturday morning cartoon to me.

That one is pretty good, manga was fantastic. One punch man is really funny, Toriko is not bad, and Samurai Champloo is one of my favorites. I have heard good things about Mob Psycho 100 but have yet to sit down to watch it. Helsing Ultimate is really good, Drifters is by the same author and is on par. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a favorite. Juni Taisen: Zodiac Wars manga was good and the couple episodes of the anime I have seen was good too. I am currently waiting on the Dragon Ball Super Broly to come out for rent have to wait another 2 weeks. The new Dragon Ball Super is right in line with the orginal.
Broly was great in theatres. I've delved into One Punch a bit. FMA:Brotherhood is always a favorite.

I used to be pretty big into anime when I was in my 20s but I havent watched it in years. I used to be into Samurau X/Rourouni Kenshin, Lensman, Ninja Scroll, Bleach, Rah Xephon and Evangenion.
Its funny because my Netflix thinks Im still into anime and it recommends new ones to me all the time but none of them really interest me all that much. I guess Im much more into the older, darker anime. A lot of the stuff today seems more like a Saturday morning cartoon to me.
Samurai X is a classic, I haven't seen that in years. Bleach is good but to many fillers after the second arc. Sorry I am nerding out a little I haven't been able to talk anime in a few years, no one around me likes it much.

Anime is definitely my guilty pleasure. All my favorites are the ones I watched as a kid (FMA, Ruroni Kenshin, Akira, Naruto, Trigun, Samurai Jack) but there are a few nice ones coming out this year. One Punch Man s2 is starting to release weekly episodes on Hulu right now and I think Boku No Hero Academia is coming out later this year.

I guess Im much more into the older, darker anime. A lot of the stuff today seems more like a Saturday morning cartoon to me.

Dororo is good (dark/bleak!) anime that just got released on Amazon in January. Might be right up your alley.

There is a pretty good PS4 game that goes along with Berserk

I have read the manga that most of these are based on, sad thing is most of the ones we have listed are supposed to be for kids in Japan. That is why friendship trumps all, but they are good for a laugh. Terra Formars is also a good one.

Champloo is one of the coolest shows ever...the mix of hip hop style and the samurai world gets me every time.

Hellsing Ultimate was perfectly crazy and psycho in all the best ways.

You've got me intrigued about One Punch Man and Juni Taisen.

Ninja Scroll was one of the first full length anime movies I ever saw and I still love it...there are some crazy scenes but the fighting and overall story are awesome. Samurai X, Kenshin, Bleach are all fantastic. I seriously wish shows like Bleach and Naruto would just be 250 episodes of all story and no filler arcs, but that will never happen I suppose.

Oh and subs > dubs. :D

Oh and subs > dubs. :D

Yes and no on this for me. I feel each have merit but it comes down to which you can stand. I prefer the dub version of Dragon Ball, Champloo, Helsing Ultimate, and a couple others because I think the voices fit the characters. Other I prefer the subs because they just don't convey the same quality. But, my wife has told me I am an anime pain in the a** some times and I need to behave.

Oh funny little series on crunchyroll to look up Anime Crimes Division, its live action but funny.

My avatar is from the One Punch Man manga.

Yes and no on this for me. I feel each have merit but it comes down to which you can stand. I prefer the dub version of Dragon Ball, Champloo, Helsing Ultimate, and a couple others because I think the voices fit the characters. Other I prefer the subs because they just don't convey the same quality. But, my wife has told me I am an anime pain in the a** some times and I need to behave.

Oh funny little series on crunchyroll to look up Anime Crimes Division, its live action but funny.

My avatar is from the One Punch Man manga.

My wife and I are kind of snobs about dubs that have voices that don't match the characters and aren't well acted, but I did watch a lot of DBZ dubbed and never really had issues with it. Champloo and Helsing we watched subbed and they were great that way. Cowboy Bebop was one I first saw dubbed as well and think it was above average dubbing, never minded it. And the music of Bebop is soooo well done!

And now I'm thinking about Outlaw Star and Trigun...man, I've watched probably 100 series. LOL

Thanks for the tip on Anime Crimes Division. I like some live action mixed in too. I'm hankering to watch the live action Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist movies in Netflix.

My wife and I are kind of snobs about dubs that have voices that don't match the characters and aren't well acted, but I did watch a lot of DBZ dubbed and never really had issues with it. Champloo and Helsing we watched subbed and they were great that way. Cowboy Bebop was one I first saw dubbed as well and think it was above average dubbing, never minded it. And the music of Bebop is soooo well done!

And now I'm thinking about Outlaw Star and Trigun...man, I've watched probably 100 series. LOL

Thanks for the tip on Anime Crimes Division. I like some live action mixed in too. I'm hankering to watch the live action Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist movies in Netflix.
I showed my wife the subbed version of DBS the other day and she asked how can I watch something like that when the main character's voice was so high. She had only seen the dubbed version.

Oh, if you have windows OS you can sometimes get free seasons of shows. I got the first season's of DBZ, DBS, Bleach, and Fairytail.

I showed my wife the subbed version of DBS the other day and she asked how can I watch something like that when the main character's voice was so high. She had only seen the dubbed version.

Oh, if you have windows OS you can sometimes get free seasons of shows. I got the first season's of DBZ, DBS, Bleach, and Fairytail.

Ever heard of National Anime? It's an FTP download service that offers fan subbed stuff for $5/month.

Ever heard of National Anime? It's an FTP download service that offers fan subbed stuff for $5/month.

I haven't heard of that one. Back in the day, I used animeseason. I now use Funimation, Crunchyroll, Amazon, and Viz Media. The only one I pay for is Amazon. There are so many places to get it now its almost hard to remember what it was like even 10 years ago when you had to go to less than legal sites to find something. Although from what I remember the fansubs were good and felt a little more accurate.

I haven't heard of that one. Back in the day, I used animeseason. I now use Funimation, Crunchyroll, Amazon, and Viz Media. The only one I pay for is Amazon. There are so many places to get it now its almost hard to remember what it was like even 10 years ago when you had to go to less than legal sites to find something. Although from what I remember the fansubs were good and felt a little more accurate.
I used to meet a guy at an indoor flea market to buy Anime and hope it wasn't region locked. I know the struggle.

Yeah, I need to assess that better and consider canceling, especially considering how little we download anymore.

I was reminiscing a bit when I posted that too...the days of all those cease and desist letters from ISPs to customers regarding illegal downloads (RIAA and other fun groups). I think I was using 2 different FTP sites for a while but then switched to just national.

So many good fansubbing groups out there. I always wonder why they do it. I can only imagine the amount of work they put into it.

I used to meet a guy at an indoor flea market to buy Anime and hope it wasn't region locked. I know the struggle.

Haha, that is all shades of awesome. ;-)

Anymore the sites that stream do offer downloads. I do find it funny how far the license holders have come just in the last couple of years. It went from finding the seedy sites that have kinda current stuff to simuldub. The only bad thing is it's now spread over lots of pay sites so you still have to find the fan sites for some stuff if you are cheap like me. :)

Another good anime is Beelzebub, just a word of warning there is a naked baby the entire series. But, it is good for a laugh.

I've finally gotten around to catching up on Attack on Titan and am almost thru season 1. Such a trippy series (not Evangelion trippy, just crazy concepts LOL) but I like it.

I've finally gotten around to catching up on Attack on Titan and am almost thru season 1. Such a trippy series (not Evangelion trippy, just crazy concepts LOL) but I like it.

I have read the manga but have not started the anime yet.

Back