Its Time I swallowed my pride

Russ_D

Reaction score
Handicap
So its that time of year again. Spring is in the air and we can all dust off the clubs and get out. Normally i cant wait. My head would be full of expectations that this year, after the winter practice, will be the year.

Trouble is that im not looking forward to it. Sure, due to the iminnent arrival of mini me number 2, it will be a shorter season but the main reason is that (and im sorry to say this) i feel im falling out of love with this great game.

Terrible iron play last year and wrist an shoulder injuries as a result are partly to blame for this. So i was about to mothball the clubs until i spoke to my physio. He said "what are your strongest clubs?", my hybrids are followed by 9 iron and wedges. "well, get rid of the irons and replace with hybrid irons as the wider soles dig less and your wrists will thank you for them". He uses full hybrids (only in his early 40's) and is a single digit hcp.

So, after much consideration, i decided to swallow my pride and start off small. I ordered an Acer XDS react 6 hybrid to replace my 6 iron, and depending on how it goes, may well get the 7 and 8 too. You see i have come to the conclusion that its not whats in your bag but how you use it that counts. This game is hard enough so why not play to our strengths.

Do you any of my fellow Hackers use full or partial hybrid sets or "unusual" bag setups that differ froom the norm?

I may be completely wrong about this, but have you considered the possibility of using graphite shafts in your clubs?

Another alternative could be something like the Cleveland Altitudes if you can find some

Glad to see you not give up the game. Graphite may be the way to go as well as TheDoctor mentioned. Interested to see where the experiment takes you.

I've always been an enthusiast about the "buy what you swing best" principle. If you feel that you'll do better with this setup, who are we to judge? You're not playing the game to earn a living, you're playing because it should be fun. What's the fun in clubs you don't like, risking injuries and getting frustrated?

My first iron is a 6 iron and I have no problem with using hybrids.

Lots of guys are using hybrid into the 5i. Happy to see you are going to stay with the game still. As suggested if you wanted to stay with regular irons graphite shafts could be an option to reduce the pain

I have a lot of friends who started going deeper into their bag with Hybrids, there should be no shame in your game my friend, play what you feel is comfortable.

Doesn't matter if it's graphite shafts, softer flex, hybrids throughout the bag... anything that lets you play pain free and with enjoyment is worth it.

Too often people worry about what makes up thier bag. From OEM, to set composition. Play what makes you happy.

Just buy a set of Cleveland Altitudes.

My first iron is a 6 iron and I have no problem with using hybrids.
Same here-I've replaced my 5 iron and short woods with hybrid clubs. All graphite.

Optics-nobody looks at what I'm using, the are too busy thinking about the folks looking at their club selection.

No different than comparing clubs on the tee. I hit a driver, you hit 3 wood.

I just want to play and get the ball in the hole with as fewest strokes as possible.

Its Time I swallowed my pride

Last year I used a 6h and played with a guy who has Wedgewood 6h & 7h. He was deadly with the club.

I tried the Callaway I-brids a couple of years ago. The shafts were just a little too soft for me. Last fall I picked up a set of Big Berthas used from Golfsmith. 3-7 hybrid, 8-SW irons. All with graphite. I hit the 7h 130 or so. I hit regular flex. I would have continued with the i-brid, but the regular flex was more like Senior flex and I just couldn't control them. Hit what gets the ball in the air and in the general direction I want to go.

Thanks for the responses guys. Im sticking with steel shafts but ive gone for a lightweight model similar to the one on my taylormade 4h. If someone said i'd be knackered by the age of 36 ten years ago i'd have laughed at them. Here i am at 36 and im falling apart! :disapointed:
Luckily, like they said in the 6 million dollar man "we can rebuild him". And the company i work for actually can (must check on the staff discount for kness, writs and shoulders)

Bck on to the club, my test club has arrived so once i pick it up from my mums (yes, she still takes delivery of all my parcels) i'll have a good go with it....getting excited.

I know you just said you are sticking with steel but graphite is good and it really does help the body. Just saying.

I've gone with a 5h. They are easier to hit so why not?

Also so wanted to chime in and agree with the poster above about Altitudes...they sound like a really good potential option for the OP

I know you just said you are sticking with steel but graphite is good and it really does help the body. Just saying.

I've gone with a 5h. They are easier to hit so why not?

Also so wanted to chime in and agree with the poster above about Altitudes...they sound like a really good potential option for the OP

Yeah the latest graphite shafts can be excellent so its definatley food for thought. Think the attitudes will be a little out of my budget. If this Acer is decent then i may get more built. Have to say, a lot of people dont like the feel of a hybrid iron but i love it.

I'm glad you're not giving up. It looks like you are doing everything that would help. Don't worry about what others think, they aren't the ones that are going to make the game more enjoyable for you, you are. There is nothing wrong with using as many as 13 hybrids if you could. All that matters is if the game is fun for you, and you start improving the way you feel you should. That's it. Chin up, have fun and enjoy this great game any way you can.

I used a Cleveland HB3 set for a long time. Still break them out for stretches at a time.

I started playing again after a 20 year hiatus. I was "knackered" at 45 because of back surgery. I started up again this year. By far the single biggest difference in both comfort and performance has been switching to graphite shafts on my irons.

I bought some very inexpensive graphite irons thinking if they worked out well I would invest is some better clubs later. I'm playing so well with the inexpensive graphite's that I wouldn't think of getting something different right now. It's a joy to play pain free and at my age (66) I'm playing better than expected.

Here are a couple other suggestions for those of us with "knackered" bodies. (By the way, I love that word.)

1. Forget about distance and do everything you can to increase your accuracy. You'll probably find you are hitting the ball almost as far because of better contact. The better accuracy will improve your score. However, in addition, you'll probably find that you're swinging easier and that will lead to less pain.

2. Get yourself a "Thriver." (Short for Driver/Threewood.) It's a 460cc driver head that is 10 grams heavier, 1" shorter than my driver and has a 14 degree loft. I kept records this winter from 6 simulator sessions. The "Thriver" was exactly 3 yrds. shorter than my 10.5 degree driver. Accuracy was much better. My last round I hit 12 of 14 fairways with the Thriver. I only played 6 rounds this year, but in those 6 rounds I've averaged 10 fairways. (We just got 6" of snow today and another 6" predicted, so there won't be much golf in Northern Michigan for a few days.)

3. Either get fitted for, or do a lot of trial and error, for a proper putter. I did this and ended up with one of those ugly wide flat putters. I don't like the looks. I don't like the feel. However, last year I was averaging 38 putts a round until I got a proper putter. I only played 10 rounds with the new putter last year, but my average went down to 33 putts a round.

When I started playing again last year, I had a hard time breaking 100. My starting handicap was in the high 20's. The changes I outlined above allowed me to play some pretty good golf. My handicap got down to 10.8 before the cold came in Northern Michigan. Most of my last rounds last year and the 6 rounds I've played this year were played in mid-30's degree weather and the scores went up. I'm now at 14.8 handicap, but expect to, at least, have the handicap down around 10 this summer.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

Later,

John

"Thriver". I like it.

Do whatever makes your game better! I know guys who have switched to hybrid irons and are playing better than they did in their prime.

I played the Cleveland Altitude irons (steel shafts) the past 2 seasons, they really got me through a rough patch where I couldn't hit a ball up in the air to save my life.

I have moved on though, my current set I have the Altitude 4 & 5 irons in the bag, and then start my other irons at the 6 iron. I love hitting the 4 & 5 Altitudes so much, that early in the season I need to assess if I want to keep the 4 hybrid in my bag at all or not.

I went to game improvement irons this year ... game what makes you a happy camper!

Honest question if I may ... when folks recommend graphite, what is the thought behind the recommendation? (just trying to understand and not debate the topic)

Back