Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I stumbled onto these last May after hitting a 6i demo I scored for $15. Ordered them immediately. Even though I only game the 6-8 irons right now they are very solid irons. I just happened to be a little more accurate with the Niblicks at the bottom end of the bag. So those are in the 9i, PW and GW slots instead.

Many change for the sake of changing and some have changed due to participating in THP events where equipment was involved, etc.

What shafts are you playing? I played the stock stiff graphite for a while....and likely played the best I ever have.

They have the steel in regular. I'm pretty sure this isn't ideal. I took them out on the course today and has some ballooning into the wind.

I might try something different in the three iron and see how that goes first.

I stumbled onto these last May after hitting a 6i demo I scored for $15. Ordered them immediately. Even though I only game the 6-8 irons right now they are very solid irons. I just happened to be a little more accurate with the Niblicks at the bottom end of the bag. So those are in the 9i, PW and GW slots instead.

I'm still using the 6&7 Altitudes as a cross over club from my Hybrids to the 588 MT Irons, my whole set just blends seemlessly from the Hybrids to the Altitudes then the MT's in 8,9 then down to the TT's in the Pitching, Dual and Sand Wedges.

Last edited:
I'm still using the 6&7 Altitudes as a cross over club from my Hybrids to the 588 MT Irons, my whole set just blends seemlessly from the Hybrids to the Altitudes then the MT's in 8,9&PW then down to the TT's in the Dual and Sand Wedges.

I'm still catching up on this thread, but I can't wait to get that set from Jman & get them shafted & get my youngest son out side hitting balls with these!

Come to think of it, I'm really anxious to get out & hit the 4i & 5i that I picked up & see how they fit into my bag, distance-wise & gapping-wise.

I have tried every other Max Game Improvement irons and still haven't found anything to match them they don't look nice but boy do they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually prefer the 588 MT irons. They look WAY better IMO and perform just as good for me.

I actually prefer the 588 MT irons. They look WAY better IMO and perform just as good for me.

At the moment I'm hitting the ball well and only using the 6&7 Altitudes but if I find I'm not hitting well I just change out the MT,TT's for the Altitudes until I'm hitting well again. I think the Altitudes have just a bit more forgivness in them than the MT's but I cant shape the ball with the Altitudes my stock shot is a fade, with the MT&TT's I can hit a draw but can't with the Altitudes.

I have the 3 and 4. Off the tee they were great options for me.

These clubs have been game changers for my wife. SO easy to hit, so straight, etc. It has really eased her transition back into the game and made it so much more fun for her.

How are you guys finding distance? I'm getting lots of height with the 3&4, but the actual distance is only marginally better than my 4&5 iron.

How are you guys finding distance? I'm getting lots of height with the 3&4, but the actual distance is only marginally better than my 4&5 iron.

I came from Ping irons (G25, K15 and Raptures V2's). I found the Tudes to be about 3 yds longer with a higher flight.

One of the longest sets I played a that point, at the time they were a club longer for me.

No issues with distance on mine, however, I do hit full on 3 & 4 hybrids a little farther than my 3 & 4 alts.

I'm still catching up on this thread, but I can't wait to get that set from Jman & get them shafted & get my youngest son out side hitting balls with these!

Come to think of it, I'm really anxious to get out & hit the 4i & 5i that I picked up & see how they fit into my bag, distance-wise & gapping-wise.
Forgot to add, the head should be there Saturday. Sorry for the massive delay, I'm thrilled they're being put to a great use though.

One of the longest sets I played a that point, at the time they were a club longer for me.

It's odd. The 5 iron in question is an Adams CMB, which isn't the longest out there. I suspect shaft/spin issues.

If you have a slow swing speed you might not have enough club head speed for the lower lofts. That was the case for me I swapped them out for hybrids and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
I got a chance to use my 6 iron today twice. This club is sure easy to swing - the ball trajectory was very high & both times hit the GIR. Both lies were not good - on one the ball was well below my feet. I am stoked to keep learning more about these!

I got a chance to use my 6 iron today twice. This club is sure easy to swing - the ball trajectory was very high & both times hit the GIR. Both lies were not good - on one the ball was well below my feet. I am stoked to keep learning more about these!

Sorry I didn't clean the dirt off of them. :alien:

I got a 4I sitting at home if u want to give it a run

Sorry I didn't clean the dirt off of them. :alien:

Ha ha - those I haven't got shafted yet. I grabbed a 5 & 6 over the winter & I'm still getting used to them & comparing them to the Callaway XR 5 hybrid.

I got a 4I sitting at home if u want to give it a run

I might take you up on that. I love the way I was hitting the Callaway XR 4 hybrid, but these Altitudes are also very easy to hit well (at least today!:alien:)

No issues with distance on mine, however, I do hit full on 3 & 4 hybrids a little farther than my 3 & 4 alts.
I agree, more iron like in distance, if that makes sense. Also though more accurate than hybrids, for me.

If you have a slow swing speed you might not have enough club head speed for the lower lofts. That was the case for me I swapped them out for hybrids and haven't looked back.

I don't think it was a swing speed issue as I hit my XR Pro 4 iron further (190-200) than the Altitude. I think it's height and spin.

I've since reshafted the 3 iron with a Matrix Altus Hybrid shaft which has lowered the launch and added a bit of distance.

I'm betting there's info buried a couple of places in this mega-thread, but how are you guys finding better ballflight with the lower lofted Altitudes? I've tried hitting down like an iron and moving the ball up a bit in my stance & sweeping, but neither are giving me good results. Both ways just result in worm burners with either the 4h or 5h. I'm hitting the MTs great, but the Altitudes are just eluding me when it comes to the high ballflight with soft landings everyone's talked about.

I'm betting there's info buried a couple of places in this mega-thread, but how are you guys finding better ballflight with the lower lofted Altitudes? I've tried hitting down like an iron and moving the ball up a bit in my stance & sweeping, but neither are giving me good results. Both ways just result in worm burners with either the 4h or 5h. I'm hitting the MTs great, but the Altitudes are just eluding me when it comes to the high ballflight with soft landings everyone's talked about.
It's probably not of much help to you, but I just hit them like I would any other iron. If I hit worm burners with the 3,4, and 5, it was due to thin hits. Thin hits were not as obvious to me as they are in other irons. Hitting down through the ball caused the ball to fly very high, even with the 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

They have very little offset compared to most game improvement irons so ball position is crucial don't put it too far forward in your stance and try and sweep it. In the end for me I was more consistent with hybrids in the 3 4 & 5 spots.

Back