Different shot shapes off the tee

M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
Something that has become very popular on tour lately is having the 3/4 wood set up to hit a high draw for a lot of the power fade players. Rahm is good example of this.

Phil famously won a masters with 2 drivers in the bag, one to hit a fade and the other to hit a draw.

Other players like to work the ball both directions with the driver but still have the 3 wood in a draw setup or a low lofted driver that turns over easily.

Does anyone play a setup where you pull a club for off the tee to hit a specific stock shape?

Something that has become very popular on tour lately is having the 3/4 wood set up to hit a high draw for a lot of the power fade players. Rahm is good example of this.

Phil famously won a masters with 2 drivers in the bag, one to hit a fade and the other to hit a draw.

Other players like to work the ball both directions with the driver but still have the 3 wood in a draw setup or a low lofted driver that turns over easily.

Does anyone play a setup where you pull a club for off the tee to hit a specific stock shape?

I can’t draw my driver but I don’t need to. I
I can w/ my 3W but still like the cutter off the tee 90% of the time.

My driver is usually a natural fade. Most of the time, I don't get the draw when I try, as the forgiveness in the club makes it go straight. 3 wood doesn't get me the distance.

I can play a small baby draw, but generally just stick with a straight drive if I can. Easier for me to play a small fade lately.

Not me. At least not in the recent past. I can legitimately hit all 14 clubs left, right, or straight. Now, the only thing I need to do is figure out which way it's going BEFORE I hit. :ugh:

I’ll try sometimes to hit a different shot shape, emphasis on try, but nothing is set up specially one way or the other.

I can overdraw every club in the bag and hit a block fade with my driver. I'm not good enough to mess around with shot shape. Hitting a stock shot every time is probably the best solution for me.

I use this exact setup in my bag construction.
My driver miss is right, my 3 wood miss is left. I select which one to use based more on where the trouble is than the distance of the hole.

Nope. I just try to put a good swing on the ball. When I do that, my driver, 3-wood, and longer irons tend to have a tiny cut. My mid irons go pretty straight. And interestingly, my short irons and wedges have the babiest of draws on them.

This, again, is when a good swing is put on the ball. When that doesn't happen, any club can miss in any direction.

I pull the driver and pray for it to not be a slice... if that's what you mean by shaping a shot off the tee.

Back