PXG 0311t irons - unofficial review

what is the verdict on the PXG's are they worth $5k? They look awesome

Going with my man Kang who sold his after a short honeymoon - I'd say no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he did order another set in black so......

"Worth" is so personal. There are no equipment that will magically lower your scores. So worth can only be defined as what ever gives you joy out of gaming them

"Worth" is so personal. There are no equipment that will magically lower your scores. So worth can only be defined as what ever gives you joy out of gaming them
This could not have been said any better.

They look awesome, but to pay 5x over good sticks, they better perform a tad better imo.

So much eye candy in these buddy! Not just jaw dropping in looks but they felt pretty darn good! Thanks for letting me put some swings to these!

The special lime green program f15 120g :) and I have a thing for dark finishes

Did "your guy", hook those shafts up too? They look sick.

Did "your guy", hook those shafts up too? They look sick.
Yes. As I understand there are only 4 sets of these shafts out in the wild ;)

The black finish on the tour heads, with the green shafts, are still at the top of the list for looks. If they end up playing as well as they look... Wow.

Yes. As I understand there are only 4 sets of these shafts out in the wild ;)
Sooo... what are the chances that THPers will have 2 of those sets? :good: :alien:

The black finish on the tour heads, with the green shafts, are still at the top of the list for looks. If they end up playing as well as they look... Wow.

Sooo... what are the chances that THPers will have 2 of those sets? :good: :alien:
I know where 3 went now where is the 4th

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know where 3 went now where is the 4th

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOL! So 3 of 4 sets are now accounted for. I see some posts coming in the Program F15 thread as well...
2 with thpers, one with Nick from tourstock. He still has the last set which is 120g x flex (frequency to about 7.0)

Let us know how the face on these black finish irons holds up.

http://www.golfdigeststix.com/golfdigeststix/03_16_2016/MobilePagedArticle.action?#articleId739333

"But while Schweigert is quick to note that there is no explicit playability benefit to the finish in terms of spring-like effect or moment of inertia (the coating is not on the face of the iron), it has value. “I think the best way to put it is if having a black club looks really cool to you and it’s really important to you, then this is the best finish to achieve that,” he said."

I wonder why the face is not coated with the DLC?

View attachment 23915

Any feedback yet on the face wear?

Any feedback yet on the face wear?
So far after couple range sessions on mats and one 9 hole round there is no noticeable wear. I did hit one ball out of a wet packed bunker greenside with my 60 and nothing shows after

Here we go round 2.....
My guy came through with a great price and I will have these built properly with my gamer spec shafts in april
ab1327f8515a2417bc37e0bcaaa21445.jpg

Wow Kang those look AMAZING!

Played at a course that has a lot of little rocks in the bunkers today. Hers what the clubs look like after range and 18

422de43d4bd0498a29375c21e0f5df56.jpg

Pw
2811b35084827f5833572bcf7ad4e26e.jpg

Soles are showing almost no wear
d147452322d0f52055142db61e0f2635.jpg

These irons are pretty forgiving. Straying a bit to heel or toe is holding the line well and minimal distance loss. As I said before it's not the softest feeling forging but it's not a huge deal. For a "tour" iron, these are very playable

They do look amazing, I hope you play great with them!

These irons are pretty forgiving. Straying a bit to heel or toe is holding the line well and minimal distance loss. As I said before it's not the softest feeling forging but it's not a huge deal. For a "tour" iron, these are very playable

Have you hit the Titleist T-MB iron. If so, can you compare them to the feel of the PXG 0311T?
I have read on another forum that the 0311T is softer across the face by comparison and more like a forged feel.

I have the T-MB irons and have sold the 8-P irons due to the "hard" feel.
I have 8-P coming in the 0311T black heads and I will build them with DG AMT TI x100 shafts. I hope to give a comparison in feel.
I dislike the cast hard metal irons (T-MB is cast stainless and very difficult to bend).

If I like the feel, I will go with the 3-7 irons as well. Time will tell!

Have you hit the Titleist T-MB iron. If so, can you compare them to the feel of the PXG 0311T?
I have read on another forum that the 0311T is softer across the face by comparison and more like a forged feel.

I have the T-MB irons and have sold the 8-P irons due to the "hard" feel.
I have 8-P coming in the 0311T black heads and I will build them with DG AMT TI x100 shafts. I hope to give a comparison in feel.
I dislike the cast hard metal irons (T-MB is cast stainless and very difficult to bend).

If I like the feel, I will go with the 3-7 irons as well. Time will tell!
I had the full set of tmb and the pxg is a bit softer.

I find the 2,3 irons in the TMB to be excellent, but the shorter they get the harder they feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I got to play a round with the 0311T irons and driver today and had a blast with them. The irons are very unique feeling. It's not like flushing a Miura muscle back blade but it's very soft feeling. Vibrations are dampened on mis-hits but you can tell where you missed it. They are very easy to launch and distances seemed consistent with my current set of forged CB irons. I'm sure after a fitting I'd pick up some yardage with these. They are very forgiving irons for sure. I hit some thin and toe shots that almost looked like pured shots.

The 0811 driver feels soooo soft compared to my G30LS. I'd say it's even softer my 915D2 without the draw bias. I don't have launch monitor numbers to back this up but I think the head spins a good amount with a Project X Hzrdus 5.5 in it. Overall I love how this head and shaft works together but just want less spin from it. Perfect sound unlike the G30 which is too loud.

Negatives: I'm scared to walk away from my bag! I kept them in sight all day and had my uncle guard them at restrooms. Also, the driver headcover feels like it weighs a pound for some reason.

I don't know if these will make the team but it sure is tempting!
c8bc5df21fb2bd5e54a4b3a6b059325b.jpg

I got to play a round with the 0311T irons and driver today and had a blast with them. The irons are very unique feeling. It's not like flushing a Miura muscle back blade but it's very soft feeling. Vibrations are dampened on mis-hits but you can tell where you missed it. They are very easy to launch and distances seemed consistent with my current set of forged CB irons. I'm sure after a fitting I'd pick up some yardage with these. They are very forgiving irons for sure. I hit some thin and toe shots that almost looked like pured shots.

The 0811 driver feels soooo soft compared to my G30LS. I'd say it's even softer my 915D2 without the draw bias. I don't have launch monitor numbers to back this up but I think the head spins a good amount with a Project X Hzrdus 5.5 in it. Overall I love how this head and shaft works together but just want less spin from it. Perfect sound unlike the G30 which is too loud.

Negatives: I'm scared to walk away from my bag! I kept them in sight all day and had my uncle guard them at restrooms. Also, the driver headcover feels like it weighs a pound for some reason.

I don't know if these will make the team but it sure is tempting!
c8bc5df21fb2bd5e54a4b3a6b059325b.jpg

Nice bag!

I would use an anonymous headcover on that driver and find a tour type towel to wrap-cover the irons when you are away from the bag. It makes the paranoia soften up a bit. good luck!

I had the full set of tmb and the pxg is a bit softer.

Yes, as they should be by the nature of the design.

While I mentioned "cast" in the design of the T-MB iron, the only thing cast about the head is the body which includes the hosel. Try bending the hosel for loft or lie! Very difficult as it is a very hard cast metal. But it is only a support structure for the face plate that is welded onto that body.
The face plate is hardened steel in order to take the strike of the ball and flex. The body is hollow and therefore the face has no support and must be thicker by comparison to the 0311T.

The 0311T is of similar design but uses a forged body structure. Its face plate is thinner than the T-MB as it has a elastomer filling that provides support for the face. But it is also a hardened steel that flexes more than the T-MB.

The feel of the ball off the face for both these irons is largely due to the face plate material/thickness.

Long iron vs short iron feel. The long irons will provide more feedback on the face/support design as the ball is compressed more compared to the oblique strike on the shorter irons where less compression of the ball occurs.
This is likely why I note that the long irons in the T-MB feel better compared to the short irons as the face plate gets flexed more.
I may not notice too much difference in the shorter irons of the T-MB vs the 0311T due to this fact, but the fact that the 0311T has a thinner steel plate may show up in feel somewhat more.

I will discuss what I notice more later once I have the build done on the 8 iron 0311T and compare it to my 7 iron T-MB.

As BoostLE said something similar, this is a comment from another forum:

"The PXG feels fantastic nice and soft and solid. The T-MB feels fantastic when hit pure and less good the further away from the center of the club you get. The PXG feels basically the same no matter where on the face you hit the ball, there is very little feedback."

Last edited:
Another 18 holes in the books with these in the bag. Had a few thin shots today and I have to say it feels and sounds harsh (what club doesn't with that miss?). Those thin misses were met with about 5 to 8 yds loss in distance. I had a 4 iron that I missed low toward the toe ( about 3/4 ball from center) and it came out low with typical tow draw and was about 15 yds (+/- a few) short of target and about 5 yds offline to the right. I want to say I'm hitting these clubs about 5 yds less than what I normally hit (srixon 945 with same shaft) but I think it's really the strike quality that hasn't been up to par. I did fly a 175 yd pin with 8i ( bit down wind) so it's been hard to judge distances early with poor strikes. The wedges continue to shine and be impressive.

Back