The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit the range for the second day in the row. Hitting the ball fairly straight with my driver and irons, just need to get the hybrids dialed in.

Feel much better right now then I did the last few weeks, can't wait play 36 this weekend.

Hit the range again today. The takeaway change is a work in progress and I end up,getting so focused on it that I end up either falling away on follow through or slow hips down and the end up stopping.

Irons were here pretty solid today with a few thin shots but overall I'm happy with where they are and I can play the miss. Driver and woods are slowly coming along.

Hit the range again today. The takeaway change is a work in progress and I end up,getting so focused on it that I end up either falling away on follow through or slow hips down and the end up stopping.

Irons were here pretty solid today with a few thin shots but overall I'm happy with where they are and I can play the miss. Driver and woods are slowly coming along.

How did the new irons feel?

Spent some time today hitting balls with a wider stance. Really seemed to help me stay behind the ball at impact. Hit the ball very solid!

Working on my takeaway with a drill I found online the other day. I figure starting with a good takeaway would help with the rest of the swing. Hopefully will be able to hit some balls this weekend.

felt good. Had a few thin shots thanks to trying to step on a couple and came out of the shot. But the rest were pretty good and a few toe shots reacted better than expected.

Those are sweet irons.

felt good. Had a few thin shots thanks to trying to step on a couple and came out of the shot. But the rest were pretty good and a few toe shots reacted better than expected.

Do you think the 716's will respond as well as your previous gamers?

Do you think the 716's will respond as well as your previous gamers?

based on today's session the thin miss will be more penal. Toe miss will see some additional loss but from a flight perspective it wasn't detrimental. The feeling on these when squared up are softer than previous gamers and I see similar ball flight and height (visual not proven with lM data). Distance looks to be 1/2 - 1 club shorter in the long irons but close to what I saw with the j15 DFs

based on today's session the thin miss will be more penal. Toe miss will see some additional loss but from a flight perspective it wasn't detrimental. The feeling on these when squared up are softer than previous gamers and I see similar ball flight and height (visual not proven with lM data). Distance looks to be 1/2 - 1 club shorter in the long irons but close to what I saw with the j15 DFs

Cool, can't wait to see how you do with them.

Hit the range last night - while wearing a shirt & tie! Not sure how those old school guys did it lol. After I found a sweatshirt in my car, I got some good practice in. Main focus continues to be distance control. Hit a lot of wedges / higher irons to various distances. Really feels like I am controlling my ball, and with my relative lack of length, that is paramount for me. One thing I did as well was work on my hybrids. My tempo was off with them in my last round, and I remembered an old drill my past instructor Bruce (RIP ) gave me. He had me simply do a practice swing and stop at the top for a second, then finish the swing. Then just hit the ball normally. This drill, and my swing mantra, when I remember it, of "Turn the shoulders" just usually works for me for some reason. Maybe that's something you can try Eric / Dean?

Planning on going again tonight, and will get some putting work in as well.

Hit a quick bucket at the dome ahead of my THP callout matchup with mplefty tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

practice putting felt really good today. but i think i'm just grooving a flaw right now; i don't think i'm actually on plane. but if ball go in hole or ball go correct distance i guess i can't complain.

If I was rap song golf parody I'd be Naughty By Nature's "Who's down with OTT"

Pretty darn frustrating session - 4 or 5 weak fades then a pull hook, one after another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the putting green again today during my lunch break. Rolled it really well, but realizing that I'm not great at reading greens. Once I know the break, I can roll it pretty well exactly where I want it to go but there is no 'B' ball in a real round of golf. I'm hoping the good putting will translate to my round on Saturday.

Hit the range after work tonight, 1st time out this year. Really just working on getting my swing back, and making solid contact. A good 1:15 out on the range...... but half of it was spent looking for balls.

Why? The range isn't open here yet, and I will be darned if I will leave my shag bag's worth of balls on the range LOL.

Do any of you get any "light bulb" ideas about your swing randomly? What I mean is this...

While watching rory's swing and commentary I get the idea my weight shift into the trail leg (inner thigh and glute) is not quite done right. The move feels definitely different shenanigans doing it for real and in my head. Now whether this is actual path to practicing it and improving the swing or another over thinking and over analyzing leading to more harm than good? Who knows lol. I guess I can only find out in time

Tried to keep up those good shots from my last 2 range sessions, didn't work though. Forgot my golf shoes at home after cleaning them yesterday so I just hit from mats, figured I'd mostly work on driver and hybrid/HWood from the deck.

Well, if you saw the Rant thread you know how that went.

The rest of my time there was meh. I was thinking about the driver and getting mad at myself and just hitting some bad shots. Not a fan of mats and even now my forearms are sore from hitting off of them. I almost didn't go due to the temps and I should have gone with my first instinct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First range session of the season today!!! Felt soooooooooo good. Was pretty chilly and windy so i only used my 58° today. Pitched about 100 balls at 50 and 65 yards then worked on my chipping for a while. Hit about 30 balls from the sand to finish up the session.

My goal is to practice short game about 75% of the time I spend at the range this year. I also want to develop a specific focus for each session, as I would for a workout regimen. I feel that I need to spend more focused time on each aspect to improve toward reaching my goals. Doing a little bit of everything while Im there is probably holding me back some.

Do any of you get any "light bulb" ideas about your swing randomly? What I mean is this...

While watching rory's swing and commentary I get the idea my weight shift into the trail leg (inner thigh and glute) is not quite done right. The move feels definitely different shenanigans doing it for real and in my head. Now whether this is actual path to practicing it and improving the swing or another over thinking and over analyzing leading to more harm than good? Who knows lol. I guess I can only find out in time
The question then becomes,

How thinly CAN you split a hair?

Honestly, whatever you were doing at the end of last season, keep doing it. You were posting great scores and I personally witnessed you throw some DARTS.

As Freddie said to me a few days ago, "Dont overthink it. Just keep doing what you are doing."

And yes, I do get light bulb ideas. Im trying to get them to go away lol.

The question then becomes,

How thinly CAN you split a hair?

Honestly, whatever you were doing at the end of last season, keep doing it. You were posting great scores and I personally witnessed you throw some DARTS.

As Freddie said to me a few days ago, "Dont overthink it. Just keep doing what you are doing."

And yes, I do get light bulb ideas. Im trying to get them to go away lol.
Haha I hear ya. But we can't improve if we keep doing the same thing right?

The range session earlier today was so bad I had to go back and try again. Man, I've got work to do.

@kc720

Change doesnt always mean better. Better often means doing what you do well even better than you did before.

Point being, make sure that what you intend to change is something that really needs changed. If it is, then go for it. Just be sure.

You know what they say, " The more things change, the more they stay the same"

The range session earlier today was so bad I had to go back and try again. Man, I've got work to do.
Keep at it! Going back to fix it shows that the fire is burning inside you and its only a matter of time now.
It wasn't too long ago I couldn't hit the Pacific from the Sea Wall and a few small tweaks have me playing the best golf of my life right now.

Keep at it! Going back to fix it shows that the fire is burning inside you and its only a matter of time now.
It wasn't too long ago I couldn't hit the Pacific from the Sea Wall and a few small tweaks have me playing the best golf of my life right now.
Thanks, buddy. Under normal circumstances I would schedule time with my instructor and get straightened out in no time. Unfortunately, my guy left the area so I'm flying solo on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back