Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Has anyone tried this club with a different shaft than the stock option? What did you try and did it change the performance? I feel the stock shaft is way too light for my bad swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the XR Pro with a Aldila Tour Green x flex and have the same shaft in the XR16 Pro. The stock shaft was not for me.

Has anyone tried this club with a different shaft than the stock option? What did you try and did it change the performance? I feel the stock shaft is way too light for my bad swing.

Ordered mine with speeder evo II TS 765.

Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Is the general consensus that this club is significantly draw bias or just a touch?

I don't think it's significantly draw biased. But it does have more bias than the XR 16 Pro does.

I am considering getting this club with the no up charge 665 evo II shaft. Has anyone tried it? What were your thoughts on it in comparison to the stock 565?

Currently building a XR16 3W with a legit Hancrafted LZ shaft (same as my driver), pretty pumped to use this combo this season.

By the sound of all the comments, it may be worth my while upgrading my X2Hot 3w to the XR 16. The only thing is that I'm still dialing my gaps between the 3W, 3H,4H and Heavenwood and might be ditching the 3W altogether...time will tell.
Is there much more forgiveness between the X2Hot and XR16?

I hit a bunch of 2016 3Ws today, all against my XHot (original). All R shaft, I top out at 90 mph ss. Indoors at Golftown on their sim, all off the deck (ie., no teed shots).

*For me*, the XR16 was not as forgiving, and launched lower. But on good strikes, including rollout, it was about 5 yards longer. Not worth the upgrade, *for me*.

FWIW, nothing beat my XHot in all around,, the M2 was longest (followed by XR16), the F6 felt wonderful and was consistent but not longer than my old weapon, the G's were very forgiving but very short.

Keto, does your XHot have the Fujikura F8 60?

I put a Project X Handcrafted LZ19 which is 71 grams and I am in love. I also used the XR16 Pro with the Speeder 765 and I definitely feel these woods perform better with heavier shafts. My standard XR 16 is at least on par with my dearly departed XHot 3 wood and maybe even better. It's certainly better for me than the Big Bertha 815 3 wood and the XR16 Pro. The XR16 still launches extremely high but with Project X it doesn't balloon and the dispersion is much better. It's so smooth feeling and the impact sound is more of a solid crack than a hollow ping. My 816 3 wood which is on its way has its work cut out for it.

For the gentleman who asked I find it doesn't have much of a draw bias and the face appears to sit square. When I hit it correctly it's a very straight ball flight that draws a bit at the end but I've also been able to hit fades. The XR Pro for me is fade biased and off the tee I can hit it well but I struggled to hit it straight off the deck for whatever reason. A lot of slicing.

I thought I saw Henrik Stenson swinging one of these this week, and holy cow was he hammering it, it seemed like when he left the driver in the bag and pulled this, it was really working for him.

Just added three strips of lead tape across the sole from heel to toe. Just wanted to increase SW without screwing with CG completely. Should be fun to test later this morning

Good review Dean. Bigger head with shallow face is a concept I like especially when hitting off the deck. May just have to give this a try since I have a alpha 816 that I struggled off the deck with.

Good review Dean. Bigger head with shallow face is a concept I like especially when hitting off the deck. May just have to give this a try since I have a alpha 816 that I struggled off the deck with.
I really like the alpha, it's a great club with loads of tech. This was just easier for me to hit of the turf and the yardages were pretty simialr. For me it comes down to preference. For others it will be a combination of preference, performance, and price. It's a strong opinion for Callaway and they have a super strong FW lineup.

I really like the alpha, it's a great club with loads of tech. This was just easier for me to hit of the turf and the yardages were pretty simialr. For me it comes down to preference. For others it will be a combination of preference, performance, and price. It's a strong opinion for Callaway and they have a super strong FW lineup.

when you said this was easier to hit off the deck during the testing part that caught my attention. I like adjustability in case I need to find a better gap but with 3w that's usually not something I'm worried about because it's a tee option and maybe 1-2 times off the deck and that when I'm trying to get everything out of it and get as close to the green or on it on a par 5.

It's a great look at address. I really like the lines around the head. If I can get it up in the air then I'm all for it. Fairway woods are not my strong suit!

XR16 line is one darn good line for Callaway this year. Impressive, forgiving and long. Great review Dean. This FW wood will be my gamer for the 2016 season.

At our local demo day they had these out there and JDax stumbled on an interesting club. I was hanging by the TaylorMade tent and JDax runs up to me and says dude you have to come hit this club...I am like what is it? He says just come look and he hands me an 11 Wood. Yes, I said 11 Wood. I laugh and ask the Callaway rep what it would replace in the bag and he says 5 iron. So I reluctantly take a swing and man this thing was probably the easiest club I have ever hit. Very effortless and went dead straight all 3 swings I put on it. They also had a 9 Wood which I didn't swing but JDax did and I think he was in love with both tbh. I wouldn't be surprised to see these in his bag at some point.

I'm wondering why I even ordered the 816 Alpha. It hasn't arrived but everything you've said about the XR16 has rung true for me as well. I have the 815 3 wood and it doesn't come close to the XR16 in any weight setting. Either the 815 or 816 will get the boot when one becomes the back-up and the other can't find a job and pay rent.

I haven't seen the 816 in person. Does it appear to sit open to you?

Having hit mine now quite a bit I think the original xr is better. Better off the tee and no difference for me off the deck. Plus, no hideous lines on the crown.

Nice review, Dean. Callaway has the most complete offerings in the FW department this year IMO.

I wanted try a 5W out so I traded in a couple putters and picked an XR 16 5W for $16.50 after the trade. Can't wait to get this in hand and see how it performs.

In what I thought would be a more lengthy process, the XR16 Pro closed the door in other options. Hit it much better, today, than previously, both from the tee as well as off the deck.

Disclaimer: I'm guessing my level of commitment increased after putting a slight idiot mark on a wood for the first time in years. That was on the 2nd hole, and the club performed the rest of the way. D'oh!!

I need to try these new XR 16 pro's. The last iteration are so silly good I would love to see how they improved on them.

Back