Weak iron lofts and low torque shafts

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone tried this combination? I basically need a low torque heavier shaft and am thinking the weaker lofts should add spin and height.

Head design and loft will have more of an effect on spin than the shaft. If there is a shaft you like then just find a head that gives you the flight and spin you want. My irons are higher loft with a 35* 7 iron and I get plenty of height and spin with both S300's and Nippon 1150's.

Can you explain why you need these things as a paring? I’m interested but confused.

why do you need a low torque shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you explain why you need these things as a paring? I’m interested but confused.

I am more accurate with a very stable and low torque shaft. As far as weak lofts I'm not sure, I have mostly tried modern strong lofts.

Also the way my home course is designed, accuracy is by far the most important requirement. I am not concerned about distance at all.

low torque is only necessary for the fastest swing speeds. for the rest of us, it’s just for feel.

I am more accurate with a very stable and low torque shaft. As far as weak lofts I'm not sure, I have mostly tried modern strong lofts.

Are you lookin for steel shafts for irons or graphite?

low torque is only necessary for the fastest swing speeds. for the rest of us, it’s just for feel.

Or lack of feel in lower torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered a lesson with a PGA professional. Arrow vs. Indian and the whole thing.

Are you lookin for steel shafts for irons or graphite?

Graphite. I was thinking recoil 110 or 125 may be worth a try. I think ping and srixon may offer more traditional lofted Irons i could try.

Graphite. I was thinking recoil 110 or 125 may be worth a try. I think ping and srixon may offer more traditional lofted Irons i could try.

If you’re trying to go stiffest then I’d go catalyst 100 6.5. Stock option for Callaway apex pros

Has anyone tried this combination? I basically need a low torque heavier shaft and am thinking the weaker lofts should add spin and height.

funny I see this thread as I just got fit yesterday for irons. I launch very high but have low spin. Despite what someone mentioned earlier, the shaft makes a HUGE difference in spin. With a p790 6iron and project x 6.5 I was spinning 4200 (btw ball makes a big difference in spin as well)... speaking of low torque I got fit in to an Accra i110 and srixon z forged head. I was surprised to be fit in a graphite shaft and 20 grams lighter, but lower torque than my project x 6.5. The combo of the Accra shaft and z forged gave me spins between 5200 - 5700.

my goal of the fitting was to gain more spin and with that combo it was incredible to see the difference. Only problem is that set is gonna cost $2400 so I dunno if im going that route yet.

For what its worth my SS with driver is 110+ and while the project x 6.5 feels most comfortable since ive played with it for years, im shocked I fit in a graphite shaft

If you’re trying to go stiffest then I’d go catalyst 100 6.5. Stock option for Callaway apex pros

How's your dispersion with that shaft?

How's your dispersion with that shaft?

I played catalyst 100 6.0 and love them. If I didn’t need help with height into a green I would have them in my apex pros right now without hesitation

I played catalyst 100 6.0 and love them. If I didn’t need help with height into a green I would have them in my apex pros right now without hesitation

What shaft are you using now? Is there a trade off in accuracy for height?

funny I see this thread as I just got fit yesterday for irons. I launch very high but have low spin. Despite what someone mentioned earlier, the shaft makes a HUGE difference in spin. With a p790 6iron and project x 6.5 I was spinning 4200 (btw ball makes a big difference in spin as well)... speaking of low torque I got fit in to an Accra i110 and srixon z forged head. I was surprised to be fit in a graphite shaft and 20 grams lighter, but lower torque than my project x 6.5. The combo of the Accra shaft and z forged gave me spins between 5200 - 5700.

my goal of the fitting was to gain more spin and with that combo it was incredible to see the difference. Only problem is that set is gonna cost $2400 so I dunno if im going that route yet.

For what its worth my SS with driver is 110+ and while the project x 6.5 feels most comfortable since ive played with it for years, im shocked I fit in a graphite shaft

ball does make a difference and is often overlooked.
Did you happen to try that shaft in the p790 head? Because I'd be curious how different the spin numbers would be. Going off head design of the two you mention, p790 is a low spin head and by nature the Z Forged will give you more.

What shaft are you using now? Is there a trade off in accuracy for height?

using TT elevate tour in stiff flex. Less carry more spin get better control into greens for my swing.

Did you try the Accras against any other graphite offerings ?

ball does make a difference and is often overlooked.
Did you happen to try that shaft in the p790 head? Because I'd be curious how different the spin numbers would be. Going off head design of the two you mention, p790 is a low spin head and by nature the Z Forged will give you more.

with the 790 and tp5x my spin was 3800, Snell mtb-x was 4200 and Mizuno rb tourx was 4400. For the fitting we focused on the rb tourx since it was offering more spin. The Accra and 790 gave me 4800rpm for comparison. Obviously the z forged is weaker lofted than the 790 but yes like you mentioned the 790 is a very low spin head.

When it was all said and done the RB Tour X was actually spinning so much we went to the Snell MTB-X and that's where we settled at 5200 with the Accra and Z Forged head. I hit the ball plenty high already so any more spin would hurt more than it would help. If I stay in my 790/770 combos however I will play the Mizuno ball.

Did you try the Accras against any other graphite offerings ?

unfortunately not no. In terms of stiffness and low torque, I dont think it gets stiffer than those shafts

unfortunately not no. In terms of stiffness and low torque, I dont think it gets stiffer than those shafts

They sound great. For me, if I feel a shaft moving around in the transition it really throws my swing off.

I ordered a used set with the rip tour SLT 115 shafts in them. They should help tighten my dispersion.

Back