Can you turn off the conscious mind?

Just hit the ball! Your body will do the work. If you are thinking about too many swing thoughts your bound to screw it up. Simplify it!

I strongly disagree, but everybody is different. Focusing on the ball in front of you and keeping the hero at bay, and the large numbers away makes a golf round. The entire idea of one shot at a time is a falsity anyway. Nobody is thinking on a par 5 when laying up of "Just this shot", they are always thinking about the number they want to be at for the next shot. Just like any tee shot or any other part of the game. One can try during the takeaway to feel that way, but its just not the case.

For my game I am focusing only on impact when I am making a shot. When I step over the ball I have made all the decisions: target, club, shape, height. All I have to do in that moment is deliver the club face to the ball: club face control and speed. I don't think about the shot or the score in that moment. I try to be detached from the outcome; that's the ball's problem. hehe. Putting I do the opposite. I am trying so hard to put the ball in the hole and can't let go of the outcome. That tension is holding me back.

BTW, love this topic and all the perspectives and personal experiences. It is really helpful to see how others approach the game.

I strongly disagree, but everybody is different. Focusing on the ball in front of you and keeping the hero at bay, and the large numbers away makes a golf round. The entire idea of one shot at a time is a falsity anyway. Nobody is thinking on a par 5 when laying up of "Just this shot", they are always thinking about the number they want to be at for the next shot. Just like any tee shot or any other part of the game. One can try during the takeaway to feel that way, but its just not the case.

I think we may be thinking about it differently. Thinking "let's make the smart play and avoid double" and thinking "I'm -1 through 5' I better not screw up" are two different animals. I just think focusing on overall score can distract from the immediate task at hand. I'm no expert on the subject by any means though.

As someone who use to be a scratch to now where I've been fighting my swing for a year and a half. TRUST me when I tell you that I played MUCH better golf when I'm NOT thinking about my swing or worrying about mechanics. Ever since (right before the 2014 Grandaddy) I got into a major swing funk, it's been a mental fight within myself. The hardest part is trying to turn that off while I play. Looking back, in all of my 20 years of golf, I never fought mechanics like I am now. I try to just turn it off and play, but now, that's a hard thing to do. When I'm playing my best, hitting great shots, my mind isn't working or grinding, I'm just free to put the swing I need on each shot. ALL of my best rounds were carefree and smooth, mostly all I recall about them is the score and when they happened.

But not worrying about ones swing is fine....at least right up until it no longer works. I mean even while swinging poorly one can still not think or worry about the swing but eventually if the poor shots keep piling up we have no choice but then think. Thats just the way it works. Its always so easy for us to say not to think as we do well. But when not thinking still produces poor results you have to think whats going on to try to correct it. Theres nothing else you can do at that point. I mean you can continue not to think or not to begin analyzing our swing but we could then also just continue to play poorly and what fun is that so that's not what we want so we will then think what and why, and how. That's the nature of it all imo.

I like reading the inputs here, but I will say it's going off on a tangent a bit. This is not about one shot at a time, or how you map a hole. It's about clearing the mind to execute from in unconscious mind. Unconscious of swing thoughts, or environmental concerns such as wind or anything else that takes away from strait up executing a shot for score.

That's basically Extraordinary Golf in a nutshell.

One of my favorite exercises from that book is to REALLY focus on a single dimple during your golf swing. Find where in the swing you lose focus, is it somewhere in the takeaway? the downswing? can you actually see impact?

When you're focusing on something so intently, that's so simple, you can really see how much mental chatter there is normally.

There are some other similar drills in the books that try to encourage calming the mind, being less mechanical, and getting back to a more instinctive and natural swing.

Have you ever thought about focusing on the golf score, rather than the swing or the shot?

This is a great way to do it ... I have done it this way for years, just with a twist. This makes me just let it happen and let muscle memory take over ... you now you can hit the shot, you have done it before. So the longer I stand over a shot, the worse off it is ... so I just let it happen. Also, I don't like "keeping" score on the card or app. I keep it mentally and then go back at the end of the round to put the actual scores in. That's why I always let the other guy keep score and I tend to not look at the scores (I keep an extra card in my pocket if I have to look at it for some reason). That way I don't focus on the score as much ... "Oh well I better par this one or I need to stop the bogey train, etc."

But not worrying about ones swing is fine....at least right up until it no longer works. I mean even while swinging poorly one can still not think or worry about the swing but eventually if the poor shots keep piling up we have no choice but then think. Thats just the way it works. Its always so easy for us to say not to think as we do well. But when not thinking still produces poor results you have to think whats going on to try to correct it. Theres nothing else you can do at that point. I mean you can continue not to think or not to begin analyzing our swing but we could then also just continue to play poorly and what fun is that so that's not what we want so we will then think what and why, and how. That's the nature of it all imo.
This is my point. Clearing your mind works great, but only if you are at a certain level. If your version of a poor shot is putting it in a green side bunker or on the "wrong" side of the green...then getting out of your head and letting muscle memory take over can help.

If your poor shot is hitting 6" behind the ball or slicing it into the next county your muscle memory isn't helping...because they don't remember the correct thing. You have to think back to lessons and mechanics and figure out what went wrong. Clearing your mind and just "feeling/trusting" your swing only works when you've had a swing worth trusting.

I like reading the inputs here, but I will say it's going off on a tangent a bit. This is not about one shot at a time, or how you map a hole. It's about clearing the mind to execute from in unconscious mind. Unconscious of swing thoughts, or environmental concerns such as wind or anything else that takes away from strait up executing a shot for score.

Im often in a similar boat, Kevin. I have a lot of focus issues in golf (as well as life lol), so my mind tends to wander off course during a round. In the past, Ive spent far too much time worrying about what the final score will be instead of focusing on what I need to do to get in position to make birdie or par and that usually leads to either playing scared or tentatively, which turns my score fears into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This last year, I've used the mantra "Win the hole Im on". If I can win the majority of the holes, I know that my score will be good. Even if I put myself in a bad place off of the tee, I can move the goalposts to make a new win, such as playing for a bogey after taking a penalty instead of going for the hero shot to save par. This approach has really helped me stay focused and played a big part in me reaching a new level for my game.

Whats really messed up to me is that when I have more outside influences on a shot, such as wind, cold, rain, etc, I tend to hunker down and focus on what I need to do to execute the shot as opposed to nice weather, where I start thinking more about my swing or executing properly what should be an easy shot. I hit some of my best shots in the worst conditions (broke par for the first time in a 20mph wind) and I hit some of my worst shots in the best conditions. Its almost as if I need the wild variables to make me focus in on the task at hand. This is super irritating for me.

I know that I tinker with my swing too much, trying to fix things that probably aren't broken. I think I take that mentality to the course too often, and it starts at the range. If I'm thinking about my swing on the range, then I'll think about it on the course as well. My plan is to go as unconscious as possible on the range (before the round at least) and take that to the course. I cant help but believe that how we think on the range teaches us how to think on the course, so I'm going to start there and see how it translates.

Something to consider, anyway.

I believe in the concept but I prepare for the shot differently. I make small, slow swings looking at the ball and target, adjusting my body position if I have to, but just letting the body "act out" the shot rather than thinking about anything.

I also believe that there's a confidence component, that is why regular practice and play is important.

You can accept your reality, play for the shot shape you have that day and make your way around the course in a very different way than you expected when you started your round.

Playing Skills

The question I want to answer today is how do you develop essential playing skills for consistent performance on the golf course? The secret to playing your best on the golf course lies in how you prepare for mentally for shot execution. Top athletes know good shot-making in a tournament or with your buddies starts with learning to turn the conscious mind off. I am going to outline a typical essential playing skills in a training program format.

Hit three shots seeing the ball flight in your mind's eye, three shots feeling the the grip prerssure being constant, three shots listening to the impact. Do the same chipping.

Hit three putts seeing the line of the putt, three putts listening to the sound of impact, and thee putts feeling softness in your shoulders.

Hit three pitch shots shot seeing the a bright orange landing spot in your mind as you are swinging. Hit three pitch shots listening ti the silence inside your head as you are swinging. Hit three shot feeling the tension level in your arms as you are swinging.

Hit putts seeing the ball fall into the cup, three putts feeling a low center of gravity, and three putts counting saying one backswing and two impact.

Hit three putts feeling constant grip pressure, three putts seeing the clubface at the finish position.

Hit shots with staring at the target 3 times, two times, and one time and record which routine produces the best shots.

How many shots can you hit being 100% engaged on the target over the ball?

Hit ten consecutive shots with 100% commitment. If any of the shots have less than 100% commitment, start over. Mix it up with different types of shtots, Do your full routine.

Hit shots on the range with a friend. Have the friend pick the target and tell you what kind of shot to hit. It could be: 5 iron low draw to a 100 yard marker. How committed did you stay to the decisions? Do this ten times then make your own decisions and commit to them for another ten shots.

Putt six putts from fifteen feet. Change your preparation level for each one. On the first putt, play like a kid and do nothing in preparation, just putt and react to the hole. For each subsequent putt add some preparation. On the sixth putt, check everything. No stones unturned! Where in that spectrum did you putt the best? Do the same for full shots. Hit twenty different putts within fifteen feet. For each putt imagine how ball rolls into the cup before stepping over the ball. Hit

Hit five shots where your body language is weak and your voice is vague when you say your decision to yourself on how you will execute the shot. Hit five body shots where your body language is strong and your voice is clear and congruent. What is best for you?

This is what performance based practice looks like. Prior to a tournament round I encourage you to prepare this way.

Your "Favorite Golf Doc"
Jim Estes PGA
It seems extremely paradoxical to me that it takes a full page email of instruction and drills to teach people to clear your mind and be in the moment. My gosh, how can you do all those drills then get on the course and not be thinking about one of the drills?

See the shot you want to hit, pick a target and swing. Find ball and repeat until the ball is in the hole.

I really like a lot of these thoughts and that's one of my many downfalls...thought. I've been to the range enough and shoot targets with ease...put me on a course and it's hit and miss. My mind has a lot to do with it I know and clearing it shows in my score. That and the fact that when there is an end goal from the box to the hole...I want to murder that little ball. Confidence is key to me...I know deep down I can do it...just need to believe. The minds eye...

Something has to give dude, 10.9 and climbing is not acceptable for me. I feel like there is more potential there than that.

I shot a 120 the other day.... try doing that and having some real problems lol

This is why i love the Dave Stockton teaching method. It really works for me. My mind is my worst enemy on the course
Toughest place to compete is the inches between my ears!

I can turn off the conscious mind for everything except 4-8 foot putts:banghead:

You can accept your reality, play for the shot shape you have that day and make your way around the course in a very different way than you expected when you started your round.

Shot shape? a different way? ......that may be fine when talking subtle differences but for outright blow-up golf there is no making your way around the course in a different way. The only other way is through the woods , over the hills, to gramma's house. Poor golf ball striking will cause and needs thought about if it doesn't fix itself fairly shortly. I mean if all I had when striking poorly was a ball that leaked one way I'd be more than happy to adjust my play and not worry or think. But not when things are bad. Bad requires some thought.

Shot shape? a different way? ......that may be fine when talking subtle differences but for outright blow-up golf there is no making your way around the course in a different way. The only other way is through the woods , over the hills, to gramma's house. Poor golf ball striking will cause and needs thought about if it doesn't fix itself fairly shortly.

But some will say that's work to be done on the range. Or in a practice setting.

But some will say that's work to be done on the range. Or in a practice setting.

But the point we are talking about is being forced to think about the swing when on the course during a round. When things go bad you will start to think what, how, why, etc.. about your swing. That's just the way it is. The range is irrelevant.

Shot shape? a different way? ......that may be fine when talking subtle differences but for outright blow-up golf there is no making your way around the course in a different way. The only other way is through the woods , over the hills, to gramma's house. Poor golf ball striking will cause and needs thought about if it doesn't fix itself fairly shortly. I mean if all I had when striking poorly was a ball that leaked one way I'd be more than happy to adjust my play and not worry or think. But not when things are bad. Bad requires some thought.

there are ways to get around the course when things are going bad. Change up strategy being used by hitting clubs that are working better than others. If driver isnt working then hit a wood or iron off the tee and play to distances. Treat par 4s like par 5s and par 5s like par6s.

A few months ago, I picked up "Extraordinary Putting" by Fred Shoemaker. It talks a great deal about turning off the mind. So I have been trying to incorporate this into my putting, but by extension also into my full swing.

When I can shut myself up (which is not easy), I can really play some nice golf - shots go where they are supposed to go. But it happens infrequently enough that I cannot count on it. And it takes work - I tried to get myself to quiet down on the greens over the last week, and I finally got it back to where I can "not think" when putting. It usually involves a nice smooth stroke and looking at the "shadow" that the ball leaves after I putt it.

Edit: I am late to the party and skimmed.

Last edited:
But the point we are talking about is being forced to think about the swing when on the course during a round. When things go bad you will start to think what, how, why, etc.. about your swing. That's just the way it is. The range is irrelevant.
Actually the point I'm trying achieve is the opposite. Forcing myself (if you will) to not think swing. Hence turning off the conscious mind.

A point I was trying to make is that we are never forced to think about swing on the course during a round. We can always choose to think about how we're going to advance the ball to a preferred spot and scoring (and maybe scoring is not how to make birdie, but how to not make worse than bogey), even during blow up rounds.

Actually the point I'm trying achieve is the opposite. Forcing myself (if you will) to not think swing. Hence turning off the conscious mind.

that's great, its beautiful, but when your non thinking swing goes bye bye and continues to offer bad result after bad result you can fool yourself all you want but you will eventually still have to start thinking what's going on with the swing. Its unavoidable unless you want to continue to hack , chop, flop, and mop your way around the course. One can start off with a clear mind, continue to play with one even if the swings are poor, but your going to have to think if it keeps going the same way. This is not the crime everyone is making it out to be. It just is what it is. So many people will say they play their best when not thinking but its really a false logic because its actually the good play itself that is allowing the no thinking.

Back