The Red Wine Thread

This.....IS very true. Those shafts fit my game well. However, I wouldn't trade one of them for a $300 bottle of wine. I agree to each is their own, I just think the overall range of wines has a wheel house of $15-40. Maybe my $25 bottle or less is a little light. I'm with ya that I've had great wines that are expensive and cheap and I wouldn't buy a sub $15 wine to celebrate something. That's for damn sure lol. This is what i was hoping for. Real convo about people's opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your $25 isn't light at all! in fact, it's more expensive than what i would guess 90-95% of the world would be willing to spend. one of my favorite producers makes wines in the $18-$30 range. my collection of expensive wines has dwindled, mostly because i had to sell them. it's a lot of fun and i still really enjoy wine, but i had to pick and golf won.

your $25 isn't light at all! in fact, it's more expensive than what i would guess 90-95% of the world would be willing to spend. one of my favorite producers makes wines in the $18-$30 range. my collection of expensive wines has dwindled, mostly because i had to sell them. it's a lot of fun and i still really enjoy wine, but i had to pick and golf won.

Haha as it would with me. It's weird. Like someone said earlier, I'll pay more for a good scotch....or even a really good cigar. Just depends on the person I suppose.

Shall I adjust the price range? Say....$50 and under??

No I personally like the $25 mark. Always looking to hear good opinions for bottles of that range and under. Very rarely do I spend more than that.

Oh I love this thread!!! Red wine FTW and will definitely contribute.

Great thread topic by the way PKorf. I will be monitoring.

One more I will throw out there, on the cheaper side, around $10 or a bit less, is the Honoro Vera, 2013 Garnacha. One my go to cheaper wines. This blog is right up your alley.

http://www.reversewinesnob.com/honoro-vera-garnacha

Great thread topic by the way PKorf. I will be monitoring.

One more I will throw out there, on the cheaper side, around $10 or a bit less, is the Honoro Vera, 2013 Garnacha. One my go to cheaper wines. This blog is right up your alley.

http://www.reversewinesnob.com/honoro-vera-garnacha

Yup I've had it! It is a solid wine for that price. Completely agree.

I got some Martinelli Pinot Noirs (chards are awesome too, but i digress) on the shelf, yum. Maxing out that $50 range though. Turley Zinfandels are the biz. St Innocent Pinot Noir is good too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

All I can say is....there are a lot of apps out there where u can take a pic of ur bottle give a quick rating and log ur likes and dislikes. Hopefully this becomes a great way for THPers to try new reds they may have not before while getting some cool feedback from people you kinda know....or do know. Either way....drink!

My wife and I are both avid wine drinkers. We're cheap too. This presents the occasional problem. We both prefer red blends and rarely spend more than $15 a bottle. There are a few we continuously go back to.

Kendal Jackson Summation is a solid wine at a decent price point

Dreaming Tree's Crush is another very very solid wine and can usually be found for a good price.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

My wife and I are both avid wine drinkers. We're cheap too. This presents the occasional problem. We both prefer red blends and rarely spend more than $15 a bottle. There are a few we continuously go back to.

Dreaming Tree's Crush is another very very solid wine and can usually be found for a good price.

My wife LOvES dreaming tree and Kendall Jackson is a solid choice. Both are good for your go to everyday drinkers!

Wine is like pizza - taste and preference are personal. I know what I like, and I have four criteria:

1. Recommended, or something we previously enjoyed
  2. Under $20, $25 if the wine or the occasion is super special. And, preferably,
  3. No screw cap.
  4. No "Best by" date

We've been enjoying some $12-18 Malbecs lately.

I wouldn't cook with wine I wouldn't drink, and I have done both with Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw, at Trader Joe's.) I have a killer cabernet burger recipe and the wine of choice is currently Rex Goliath - about $10.99 for the large economy size 1.5 liter bottle.

I've been to business dinners where wine that would go for $50 and up in stores was served. It was very good, but not necessarily four times as good as a $12.50 bottle - to me. But to someone else, it would be obvious.

Reminds me of a story when I was at GE. The President of Plastics was hosting the President of Lighting, showing him a bunch a display cases containing parts made from GE Plastics, like bumpers and lawnmower decks. Suddenly, Lighting Guy fell silent, so Plastics Guy asked if something was wrong. Lighting took Plastics back three cases and said, "Get that @%#ing Sylvania light bulb the @%# out of there!" Plastics quickly agreed, but thought Lighting had lost it. The next day, the maintenance guys showed up in the President's office, holding the only Sylvania light bulb installed in the cases. They had needed bulbs, but the local hardware store was out of GE, so someone bought Sylvania instead. No one could tell the difference, right?

Wine is like pizza - taste and preference are personal. I know what I like, and I have four criteria:

1. Recommended, or something we previously enjoyed
  2. Under $20, $25 if the wine or the occasion is super special. And, preferably,
  3. No screw cap.
  4. No "Best by" date

We've been enjoying some $12-18 Malbecs lately.

I wouldn't cook with wine I wouldn't drink, and I have done both with Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw, at Trader Joe's.) I have a killer cabernet burger recipe and the wine of choice is currently Rex Goliath - about $10.99 for the large economy size 1.5 liter bottle.

I've been to business dinners where wine that would go for $50 and up in stores was served. It was very good, but not necessarily four times as good as a $12.50 bottle - to me. But to someone else, it would be obvious.

Reminds me of a story when I was at GE. The President of Plastics was hosting the President of Lighting, showing him a bunch a display cases containing parts made from GE Plastics, like bumpers and lawnmower decks. Suddenly, Lighting Guy fell silent, so Plastics Guy asked if something was wrong. Lighting took Plastics back three cases and said, "Get that @%#ing Sylvania light bulb the @%# out of there!" Plastics quickly agreed, but thought Lighting had lost it. The next day, the maintenance guys showed up in the President's office, holding the only Sylvania light bulb installed in the cases. They had needed bulbs, but the local hardware store was out of GE, so someone bought Sylvania instead. No one could tell the difference, right?

Hahah that's awesome. That Rex Goliath is a solid bottle for its price also. Thanks for sharing!

I might be in here from time to time. I really enjoy red wine, Pinot Noirs are may favorite but they are all good. I have a very untrained Palate, so I can only tell you what I like and don't like, not why I like it. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I might be in here from time to time. I really enjoy red wine, Pinot Noirs are may favorite but they are all good. I have a very untrained Palate, so I can only tell you what I like and don't like, not why I like it. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's trained enough for in here!

I've been (slowly) trying to become more of an aficionado, but becoming an aficionado of beer/wine/scotch/bourbon/cigars/golf/etc simultaneously takes a minute or two...

My general go to is Malbec.

To bring this back to golf terms... I feel like I've found a good driver stock shaft, but I'm looking for the aftermarket upgrade.

What are the HZRDUS, Rogue MSI, Oban, UST Helium of the Malbec world?

I've been (slowly) trying to become more of an aficionado, but becoming an aficionado of beer/wine/scotch/bourbon/cigars/golf/etc simultaneously takes a minute or two...

To bring this back to golf terms... I feel like I've found a good driver stock shaft, but I'm looking for the aftermarket upgrade.

This is great! Not a big Malbec guy but love the comparison!

Bogle Petite Sirah: http://www.boglewinery.com/ourwines_petitesirah.php. I give this bottle two hearty thumbs up.

It's $10.50 at the PX down the street from my house and it is damn delicious. I also like the red blends in the $15ish range.

I have not had a bottle of this in years, but you are correct...a great bottle of wine at a great price. Phantom from Bogle is also very nice. Not sure about the price on that but it would qualify for this thread.

I don't limit my wine purchases to a certain $ amount as there are too many wineries in Wash. state with prices all over the map. Let's just say that most red wines I find here to my liking range from $25 to over $100. Most of those you will not easily find except in a wine shop.

An event called Taste Washington is coming up in a week and I will see if I can find something to fit in this category...if I can tear myself away from the more limited offerings. Cheers!

I have not had a bottle of this in years, but you are correct...a great bottle of wine at a great price. Phantom from Bogle is also very nice. Not sure about the price on that but it would qualify for this thread.

I don't limit my wine purchases to a certain $ amount as there are too many wineries in Wash. state with prices all over the map. Let's just say that most red wines I find here to my liking range from $25 to over $100. Most of those you will not easily find except in a wine shop.

An event called Taste Washington is coming up in a week and I will see if I can find something to fit in this category...if I can tear myself away from the more limited offerings. Cheers!

Thanks for contributing! Looking forward to what ya find

You mean you don't pound Duplin Scuppernong Blush by the case? :alien:

Virginia has a rapidly growing number of small wineries popping up and there is plenty to choose from in the $25 range.

Great thread. Subscribed.

We buy a lot of cheap red from Grocery Outlet. Generally any varietal but Pinot can be good at less than $7 a bottle.

I'm not a huge Malbec fan, but I do like this one from Walla Walla, WA. https://www.amaurice.com/product/2012-Estate-Malbec--Amparo-

I'm a Cabernet guy and when I can find a great one...Merlot.

Back