The Slow Cooker Thread

My wife has a killer recipe for London Broil that just falls apart over egg noodles. Real comfort food. Problem is we live in the beef capital of the world and you can't get good London broil meat here so she buys it from a butcher in New Jersey who cold packs and ships to us - it's worth it (along with the crab cakes that get packed as well that are ready for the broiler).

We have the regular slow cooker book from americas test kitchen, not the healthy one, and as others have, everything from them is phenomenal. We make the goulash all the time if anyone wants the recipe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

My wife makes cubes steaks in the slow cooker in a brown gravy with onions that will blow your mind you can cut them with a fork so tender

My wife makes cubes steaks in the slow cooker in a brown gravy with onions that will blow your mind you can cut them with a fork so tender

Do you have to brown them first in a pan? Sounds like a recipe I would enjoy.

Well we do own a slow cooker, just hardly ever use it. No good reason why. After seeing some of the pictures of War Eagles culinary skills that is going to change. Please keep the pics and recipes coming.

We don't use ours enough, mostly the wife forgets to start stuff, but I think if we find a good cookbook or some good recipes I could do some stuff as well.

Huge fan of the slow cooker. Keep the recipes coming all

I shouldn't read thi thread at night...I'm hungry.

IMG_20160325_182034_835_zpsfefvmv6t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Had pot roast going in the slow cooker this afternoon while we were out playing golf. Had it for dinner after we got home.

The Slow Cooker Thread

I have beef spare ribs slow cooking today. If the end result doesn't suck I'll share the recipe.

Edit - okay, this was pretty darn good.

7659fafc478ea32a9e488b022ffa45b3.jpg

Here's the recipe
1 cup catsup
1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (I used apple)
1 tb salt
2lbs beef ribs

The recipe looked like it was going to be really sweet so I added 3 dashes of cayenne. That gave it a residual kick. I might try 2 dashes of red pepper flakes next time instead.

The sauce ended up being on the vinegary side. If that's not your thing go with 1/4 cups of vinegar and water

Season and sear the ribs then put them in the crockpot. Pour sauce over meat. Cook on low for 8 hours to get flake away tenderness with the ribs.

Last edited:
I've had my fair share of culinary disasters but I've got slow cooked meat down to a fine art. Yes, absolutely love the simplicity and down to earth pleasure of a slab of meat and a pile of veg. If you will allow me to indulge in some knowledge gained for any interested omnivores.

3 tips to elevate an already nutritionally rich and a wonderful meal to epic proportions and a whole new level of awesomeness.

1. Bone-in meat. It is THE thing that makes a meal an event. Oxtail is cheap as chips and tastes out of this world. Unbelievably tender and rich for its cost. Of course, any cut, any animal. Beef shin chilli is amazing. Italian osso buco, veal shanks, mind blowing.

2. Red wine.

3. Fresh herbs.

Bon Appetit!

Corned Beef slow cooked in Beer for 5-6 hours with Carrots & potatoes. Cook the Cabbage on the side before dinner.
Yum!

I've had my fair share of culinary disasters but I've got slow cooked meat down to a fine art. Yes, absolutely love the simplicity and down to earth pleasure of a slab of meat and a pile of veg. If you will allow me to indulge in some knowledge gained for any interested omnivores.

3 tips to elevate an already nutritionally rich and a wonderful meal to epic proportions and a whole new level of awesomeness.

1. Bone-in meat. It is THE thing that makes a meal an event. Oxtail is cheap as chips and tastes out of this world. Unbelievably tender and rich for its cost. Of course, any cut, any animal. Beef shin chilli is amazing. Italian osso buco, veal shanks, mind blowing.

2. Red wine.

3. Fresh herbs.

Bon Appetit!
I totally agree about the bone in meat. I starts doing chicken breasts on the bone and pork chops on the bone in the slow cooker and it makes a world of difference.

One of my favorites for Pork Tenderloin;

1 2lb Pork Tenderloing
1 Evenlope Dry Onion Soup Mix
1 Cup water
3/4 cup Red Wine
3 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp soy sauce
Dash of fresh ground black pepper

Put tenderloin in a slow cooker and sprinkle soup packet over. Pour water, wine and soy on top, rolling the pork to coat. Spread garlic over top of pork, leaving as much on top to roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle w/ pepper, cover, and cook on low for 4 hours. Use the liquid on the side as au jus.

This also makes an amazing "french dip" type of sandwich too.

We make chicken tacos all the time. Stupid simple recipe. Line bottom of crock pot with 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 pint of salsa, packet of taco seasoning. Mix it up and cook until the meats shreds about 4 hours on low

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

IMG_20160326_111752_508_zpsfiliimcq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just put chili in slow cooker for tonight.

Recipe:

1 package of McCormick slow cookers chili seasoning mix.
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground chicken
28 oz. tomato sauce
32 oz. kidney beans

Brown and drain ground beef and chicken.

Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.

Just picked up some bone-in chicken breasts for some slow cooking this week.

Bone-in makes the chicken sooooo much more tasty.

I can't wait to start working through some of these!
1d22ad75030612bb1ce81f7f3e5106a8.jpg

I tried this simple one and it made some pretty delicious sandwiches:

1- 2lb tenderloin
2- sm or medium onions
1- 20 oz Ginger Ale

Chop up onions, put them in the slowcooker. Put the tenderloin on top, Pour Ginger Ale over it. Cook for about 4-6 hours. Remover pork and onions, pour out liquid. Pull the pork apart, mix with onions and some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ or Tangy BBQ and cook for another 30 minutes.

Pretty yummy stuff.

Oh my oh my...I added some red pepper flakes to this recipe and it pushed it over the top. I had to cut myself off after one serving or I would have ate the whole crock pot.

I am resurrecting an old thread because I just wanted to say that I am a big fan of the slow cooker. While I don't always think the food taste as good, and sometimes texture is lost, the ability to throw food in there earlier in the day and then have dinner already done after a long day is pretty damn amazing.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Like you, I am a big fan of the slow cooker. I would love to see some recipes or suggestions that people have.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Like you, I am a big fan of the slow cooker. I would love to see some recipes or suggestions that people have.

I have absolutely no idea how it will turn out, but I currently have a pork tenderloin in mine. I'll report back on the verdict, and if it's good I'll post up the recipe.

Back