Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Have a 10.5 GBB on the way, I have a 13.5 and have it set to 12.5. I am fighting hitting the ball too high, so I am thinking the 10.5 set at 11.5 or 10.5 may be just the ticket for me. Man do I hope so, I haven't hit a driver this well in a long time.

Just losing too much yardage overall because of the ball flight?

Have a 10.5 GBB on the way, I have a 13.5 and have it set to 12.5. I am fighting hitting the ball too high, so I am thinking the 10.5 set at 11.5 or 10.5 may be just the ticket for me. Man do I hope so, I haven't hit a driver this well in a long time.

Have you given any thought to trying a different shaft?

Have you given any thought to trying a different shaft?

I was wondering that too. I have my 13.5* head, but I grabbed it specifically so I can get a bit more launch, but hopefully could affect other aspects with alternate shafts (over the Kurokage that I have in mine)

I was wondering that too. I have my 13.5* head, but I grabbed it specifically so I can get a bit more launch, but hopefully could affect other aspects with alternate shafts (over the Kurokage that I have in mine)

I swapped my Fujikura Evolution II TS for a Matrix White Tie have have been very, very happy with the results.

I swapped my Fujikura Evolution II TS for a Matrix White Tie have have been very, very happy with the results.

I have the Fubuki in Regular from a BB, as well as my Matrix Red Tie in Stiff that I want to try out. Loved the Fubuki last year, I felt like I could put a great swing on the ball. Very interested to see how comparisons with them go though.

I know I need one of these I just can't find one at a price I like :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Oban Devotion 6 in last night, played it this morning and...

Spoiler
101415_tor_bats_batflip_lowres_gjvlzoc9.gif

I really want to try a HZRDUS yellow in mine.

I really want to try a HZRDUS yellow in mine.
Same here, but I just can't find a reason to drop the shaft I was fit for at the ECPC.

Same here, but I just can't find a reason to drop the shaft I was fit for at the ECPC.

This is me too. So many awesome options coming out but I have a really hard time going away from anything I was fit into

This will be short but I have hit this a few times over the last couple of days and I am no longer worried about if I made the right choice to get one of these

Initially I had it set at +1/N (10.5° head) but after the couple of lessons I have had and the swing changes I tried dropping the loft today at the range. I instantly know when I have hit it pure as I am seeing a lovely high flight with a touch of draw and even my less than perfect shots now are still seeing a good distance with this club

I honestly can't wait to get it out onto the course properly for the first time next weekend

I'm going to have to demo this driver, with all the great reviews and forgiveness, it sounds like just what I need!

This is me too. So many awesome options coming out but I have a really hard time going away from anything I was fit into

Nothing wrong with that brother. You were fit by the best and have loved the results. Im a big believer in sitting tight with something that works.

Precisely dude. I've tried the Oban and a couple others that I had laying around, but knowing I was fit the to the Rogue by one of the best in the business keeps it in the driver. Love it.

Hit this fairly well today and absolutely smoked one on a short par 4. I need to stop fighting my natural move and just let it ride because when I do I get along so much better with this club. I'm definitely getting in the way of the great things this club is capable of at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had great results with my GBB 2day... High fades that just seemed to go forever... I have a tenancy for my right hand (lower) to turn over to the left and i start hitting big cuts... I few swings on the range before the round with a stronger grip and i was even managing to hit slight draws... it feels terrible but the results should be great once im confident with it... Its already 15m longer than my XR and thats with a slight fade... Hello 10 more when i get the draw going..

Took the GBB out to the range today for the first swings of the year, and once again, I am so happy with the overall forgiveness that this driver possesses. My first few were right on the center of the face (beginner's luck) with my ss hovering around 96 (VCSC100). This was a few mph lower than normal, so I tried to dial it up and put a terrible swing on the ball. We are talking very low on the face and just outside the vertical white lines towards the toe. It felt like I hit a brick, and I shuddered... yet the ball flew straight, just right of target and carried 220 with a ss of 99 and sf around 1.30... I can't attest that the VCSC100 is 100% accurate, but I was very happy with the flight of the ball and perceived distance with the bad swing and the location on the face. I also threw the oban hashimoto in about halfway through and noticed a slightly higher ball flight and a slightly higher ss (no idea if that was accurate). I was surprised how sturdy it felt despite being lighter than the shaft I was fit for (sig). I am going to head to the range again today and plan on uploading some pics/ data to go with the tinkering. Couldn't be happier with the driver though, it is like night and day compared to my old SLDR.

I wish this was me too. Unfortunately I still have that doubt in the back of my mind about what the best shaft for me is.

Alright, you will have to forgive me as I am about to nerd out concerning this driver. I went to the range today in order to gather some numbers and to record the addicting sound and I was absolutely striping the ball, we are talking shades of Velardo. Anyway, I got slightly rallo'd by the wind (so what... I just used the screen name as a 3rd person verb...) but I think the sentiment and feeling shows through. In fact, you will have to forgive me for being a little cocky and flashing the numbers at the end, as I nuked that last one and was feeling a little PhillyV swagger.

[video=youtube;e-ribtQVbLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ribtQVbLU[/video]
The sound is just unbelievable... I don't think that I have hit a better sounding driver since the old cobra SZ... Callaway hit the nail on the head for us audiophiles!

The second part I wanted to convey was the ball speed retention across the face, and I will add the pictures shortly after posting this. But I am beyond pleased with the amount of forgiveness! (disclaimer: these numbers were generated with a VCSC100, this is not a trackman, and is not the most accurate way to calculate distance as the loft is preset and things such as backspin are not factors... I do feel that it monitors a fairly accurate SS and ball speed, but that is a debate for another thread)

Here we have a baseline swing with a solid strike in the center of the face and a good result.
6bbc5b5b5622fa602371565b83af2af1.jpg

Here is a swing where I tried to get after it a little and the ball mark was located just left of the x... probably 1/2 to 2/3 of a ball off of the center. As you can see the SS was very similar and I only lost 2mph in ball speed and 4 yards.
d3309b18e27b7dfdfe8f6670295a0ba0.jpg

This next one is where the GBB really shines. I put a god awful swing on this next one and nearly missed. It was so thin that nearly 1/2 of the ballmark was below the face! I think the results speak for themselves only 7mph less on the ball speed and only 19 yards shorter than a center strike... that's only 7.7% distance loss which. The result was a lowish gentle fade that would have found the fairway... R-MOTO tech in action.
4cd86c60dfec48b64f080c7e56c1c941.jpg
f157ff7f317ccc63bb5efc2d99d6a576.jpg

This last one I absolutely killed... I tried to get after it a little bit and caught it dead center... I DO NOT get this much carry
69e0a0279023a61d635ada6f461e94a3.jpg

I am very excited to put this through its paces and have no doubts that I will see improvements to my game off of the tee. The uptick in confidence alone has me extremely excited.

Last edited:
You sir, are #OutingApproved through The Grandaddy of em all.

This one is going back in the bag Thursday and I am darn excited about it. Still the best drive head I have played to date.

This one is going back in the bag Thursday and I am darn excited about it. Still the best drive head I have played to date.
Yeah, I've fallen back into love with mine, today it was a monster for me, swing is starting to come around with the longer clubs and this has just been lethal for me again. All around, its just so freaking insanely solid.

Yeah, I've fallen back into love with mine, today it was a monster for me, swing is starting to come around with the longer clubs and this has just been lethal for me again. All around, its just so freaking insanely solid.

For me it was always my favorite, but I had to try the XR 16 for a while after testing it on FlightScope was giving me some monster numbers.

First round out with the GBB today, and could not find the right side of the fairway to save my life. As someone who has relied on a fade for his entire time playing golf, hitting huge draws was pretty surprising and very unexpected.

Of course I forgot the wrench, so didn't have a chance to tinker. Definitely looking forward to making some adjustments and getting back out there. The sound is just intoxicating!

Back