Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

i was talking to my fitter today about this driver. he said an older gentleman who is a very good golfer was testing the jgr and it was drawing too much, so they flipped the weights around and he was crushing it dead straight. i found that encouraging, that moving the weights around could help straighten out the draw bias for a hooker like myself.

So here is an infomercial that Bridgestone Japan posted on YouTube on the JGR Driver. It's in Japanese but they have Trackman so you get yardage. It's 6 minutes but stick with it. I'll see how surprised they are at the distance.

http://youtu.be/12hRAdCPU0k

Pulled the trigger on a 9.5 today off eBay... Had to see what this thing is all about. A little extra distance would be great but I am more interested to see the dispersion. I think the face milling is an awesome addition from Bridgestone, and I think it is one of the main reasons I was able to keep the 715 online as well as I did. Very much looking forward to getting this in hand!

This thing is flat out performing for me! I'm positive I have hit a higher percentage of straight shots with this than any other driver I have ever tried. On my way back to town today I stopped at a course to get two quick holes in just to give this a whirl. There are 25mph consistent winds so not the best conditions. My first hole I hit 3 drives and two of the trhee were dead straight. The third was a push fade but not severe. The second hole I just hit one ball, straight in to the wind, and again it went dead straight. I honestly didn't have high expectations of this making the bag this year but it is now planted in there. I still like the sound and feel of the Cobra LTD over this but results are results, I can't argue with the performance. I need to give THP and Bridgestone another huge shout-out for the opportunity to win this earlier this year!

Just got home from playing a round, first one with the Fly Z, and I find the JGR sitting on my front porch thanks to an amazing eBay seller. Of course I unwrap it as fast as I can so I can try it out in the backyard net.

Before I say anything about the JGR, I must say, I was really impressed with the Fly Z today. I put a few bad swings but the ball carries really well and doesn't get me in too much trouble.. But when hit out of the center, it is really nice. It's not exactly fit for me as it's equipped with an x flex VLCT SP, but I was still getting around 260 carry with not much rollout set at 10.5. All in all, GREAT club.

WITH THAT SAID.... after hitting about 8 balls in the net with the JGR, I immediately pulled the FLY Z out of the bag. There seems to be so much to like about the JGR.. the deep forgiving milled face creates a really nice area to smash balls out of and the stock NV feels really nice and controllable at the longer-than-I-normally-play-stock length. The head shape is just about PERFECT for my eye and I barely notice the graphics, which I was a little concerned about before buying, but they frame the ball at address really well and it just sits perfectly. I like how Bridgestone hides the 460 cc in their driver designs. I never play drivers longer than 44.5" typically but I am blown away at how under control this thing feels throughout the swing. Feel off the face is explosive, that's the only way I can describe it. I could really tell when I caught it right out of the center and also when it got a little closer to the heel, I love that kind of feedback. Needless to say, I am really excited to get this thing out to the course and see what the entire ball flight looks like but I have a really good feeling about this driver so far.

So I found a fitting from last year on my D200, which is similar to the BB alpha 815

JGR on the left and D200 on right:
1c85d376d4cf9f0fc8649b2a09a604bc.jpg

Got the JGR out on the course today. Overall, it's a solid driver, but didn't really blow me away. Maybe my expectations were too high... it performed well for it's first time on the course, carry was about normal for me, rollout about the same, feel was good, but the sound.. was a bit loud and "pingy". I did NOT find this driver to launch high by any means, not low either but definitely not as high as some have said initially. If I wanted to hit it high, I could tee it up and get that extra but that is pretty much normal with any driver. Tee it down and it's a low, piercing flight. It seemed to stay on line pretty nicely though and all I really had to do was make sure I was aligned to my target properly. Overcooked 1 or 2, but I hit a bunch of fairways today that I normally miss on a tighter course we play regularly. I am thinking with a little more time it can really be a fairway finder. I still feel at 45.5", it's a really controllable, stable driver. Maybe with a proper shaft fitting, I'd see some extra yardage but the Orange NV seems to give me a nice ball flight and feel. I'll keep at it and see if I can dial it in a bit more.

I want to hit this driver and soon. I have not seen it first hand, but I'm really excited to get a few swings in.

Funny, I was just coming in to search for this thread to post up how much I want to get out to hit this again. It's still the most consistent I have hit a driver and I can't wait to go play it again.

I'm going to go after this first and foremost at ClubClash

I want to hit this driver and soon. I have not seen it first hand, but I'm really excited to get a few swings in.

Mine gets in tomorrow bud! You can hit it then. Although it will have an X flex shaft

I hit mine for the first at TopGolf yesterday. I really like it. But it does launch high. Going to really need a ball fitting. I saw one on Periscope where a player went from a Duo to a B330 to get the launch down. He also gained yards with the firmer ball. Even though he didn't have the "Tour" ball speed it was still a better fit.

I hit mine for the first at TopGolf yesterday. I really like it. But it does launch high. Going to really need a ball fitting. I saw one on Periscope where a player went from a Duo to a B330 to get the launch down. He also gained yards with the firmer ball. Even though he didn't have the "Tour" ball speed it was still a better fit.

However if you are not compressing properly, spin might be an issue.
I would also add that I think people fear a high ball with driver yet most are not hitting it high enough. We have confirmed that with many testings, and are even doing another one with THPers in 2 weeks.

I agree that the ball flight is high but to JB's point, I think it has helped me. Comparing this to my Cobra LTD the flight is significantly higher but I'm getting much better carry distances, on some holes I'm carrying to areas I've never been before. That to me is much more beneficial than the roll out that I may get with the LTD. It's not a ballooning flight either.

Thanks JB and KEV, you make good points.

Out of curiosity have any of you guys moved the weights around? If so, what effect, if any, did it have? I haven't tried this yet but curious what it may do. I have the heavier weight in the middle right now.

I haven't however I see where Bridgestone has updated their website on the weights on the JGR Drive - Calling "Spin Control Technology" - MORE Heel Weight = Piercing trajectory with lower spin, increased roll and more draw bias MORE Back Center Weight = Higher trajectory with more spin, increased carry and more straight/fade bias

Just delivered..

f3dda46f9c8c91a63b41e661df4ed38e.jpg
5581ac1e8442529e52415db9aed0d6c9.jpg
0f5daa76b00f02b4536e9cf9ecec08f3.jpg
002b7ad185d275154d3900ca94e07278.jpg

Beautiful looking Driver! I need to demo one. Did they supply the key (tool) to move the 2 weights around?

Good Question - I didn't get one.

I didn't get a tool either but I have a few that will work. It's the standard torque wrench used with most adjustable drivers

Back