Woodworking / Furniture Building

There is a lot of figure in there, can't wait to see it pop.

First foray into furniture building. Learned some things I would do differently, but I think it turned out ok! Wife wanted a coffee table. She gets a coffee table!

111cf663379e6265cfc65efb384a3518.jpg

07bd92d39bb7260fe93e9fb1f383cef2.jpg

720a46eccd85e97fc00d8b009633a71b.jpg

Nice job man. That looks just as good as the stuff my wife looks at in the store

That's looking great man!

I don't think I ever posted up the finished result of my last project. This was the jewelry box for my daughter's birthday. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I learned a ton for future projects.

adbkDVCFQrwIcg4Vt_gjUGo5YCsCA0vYC6pZagFYVDqytOSJhZv4BYcXGlSU-d_LSF73=w2881-h5118-no

VNel3Mtl3aKzivEcTL22U7zwaGdE6YHfMwPwkunWLI9LycBXuWUQsjnzQhMPaDQ5hxWj=w2881-h5118-no

This is a fantastic piece. It has everything I enjoy looking at. Contrasting species of wood, Solid classic joinery and attention to detail. Well done sir, well done.

This is a fantastic piece. It has everything I enjoy looking at. Contrasting species of wood, Solid classic joinery and attention to detail. Well done sir, well done.

I second this! Now your next problem is seeing that she has stuff to put into it :D

Thanks guys. This was a really fun project and I learned a lot from it. It was great seeing how much my daughter liked it. And for some reason every time we go to a store she thinks she needs new jewelry. A can of worms has been opened!

Great looking projects in here. Once I get my shop back from all the kids toys covering my tools I need to start building again. This was the last item I built for the house.

77da83d1edf3a49e6ffcc476c63e13ff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. This was a really fun project and I learned a lot from it. It was great seeing how much my daughter liked it. And for some reason every time we go to a store she thinks she needs new jewelry. A can of worms has been opened!
Your great grand daughter will enjoy it one day too.

Great looking projects in here. Once I get my shop back from all the kids toys covering my tools I need to start building again. This was the last item I built for the house.

Nice design.

I like it! Did you make the crown molding?

I like it! Did you make the crown molding?
Yes I did. It was all made from a pallet of Honduran Mahogany shorts I picked up probably 10 years ago. I got 230 BF of it for $350. The place selling it had a pallet of 90 BF shorts but threw in the rest since he just wanted to clear the space. I still have some under my deck.

Yes I did. It was all made from a pallet of Honduran Mahogany shorts I picked up probably 10 years ago. I got 230 BF of it for $350. The place selling it had a pallet of 90 BF shorts but threw in the rest since he just wanted to clear the space. I still have some under my deck.

Honduran is hard to come by these days and when you find it, it ain't cheap! I went looking for some for a tabletop and it was running $14/ft. I passed

Excellent job on the crown, BTW

Honduran is hard to come by these days and when you find it, it ain't cheap! I went looking for some for a tabletop and it was running $14/ft. I passed

Excellent job on the crown, BTW

Yep. Since I only have a 6" jointer I cannot really utilize wider boards and I don't usually need anything over 4' in length so a bunch of shorts was a cant pass up deal.

Yep. Since I only have a 6" jointer I cannot really utilize wider boards and I don't usually need anything over 4' in length so a bunch of shorts was a cant pass up deal.

You can do up to 12" - if you're brave and pull the guard. What I'll do for stuff up to 8" is run it through on one side until that 6",is flat, leaving essentially a 6" wide shallow rabbet. Then take a 6" piece of ply or mdf the length of the board or longer and set it in the rabbet. Then you can run the stack through the planer to get the other side flat. When that's done flip it and finish up.

Anything wider I'll either flip end for end at the jointer or grab the jack plane and winding sticks.

You can do up to 12" - if you're brave and pull the guard. What I'll do for stuff up to 8" is run it through on one side until that 6",is flat, leaving essentially a 6" wide shallow rabbet. Then take a 6" piece of ply or mdf the length of the board or longer and set it in the rabbet. Then you can run the stack through the planer to get the other side flat. When that's done flip it and finish up.

Anything wider I'll either flip end for end at the jointer or grab the jack plane and winding sticks.

I won't run it without the guard. Too risky.

Once I get a new shop I'm sprinting for a 12" aircraft carrier sized jointer!

I won't run it without the guard. Too risky.

Once I get a new shop I'm sprinting for a 12" aircraft carrier sized jointer!

You do that and I'm bringing all my stuff to you to get milled :D

Was he planning on making acoustic guitar bodies with it? I like the warmth of HM on an acoustic, it's a common wood used by luthiers.

Ha! I had a feeling you were gonna do that. I would have too:act-up:

Well for that and to reveal any deeper scratches I missed sanding it out. Had to go back and do some more work.

I think I've got it about licked:

7e7904508e3eb1f092001365e2e83759.jpg

ce81b1bcec9897bc29dd56e9e59adb0c.jpg

9b00385ce2f9a4c2b3a5726e04d02977.jpg

93a124262f2fd4f107dc009b8a438dbf.jpg

Now to clean the dust off and apply the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great. I can't wait to see the final product.

Looks great John. Spraying, brushing or rubbing?

Looks great John. Spraying, brushing or rubbing?

Probably something wiped on. I'll get a couple scraps and try a few different things and see what looks best.

The last curly maple piece I did I dyed a deep brown color before topcoat:

IMG_5392.jpg

But I'm leaning toward natural for this one.

Back