Do you test your iron gaps?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
In a recent round of golf I pulled my old Ping i10 irons out of retirement for a bit of a nostalgia round. They are smaller, have less offset, and considerably more loft on them than the irons I have been playing. That round went pretty darn well and I thought my ball striking was solid, way more solid than it was just a few weeks ago. So here I am the other night gathering some dry ball data for a review club, and once I had everything I needed, I decided to pull out a few irons and give them a hit. Well that led to hitting the 6-PW to see what kind of yardages and gaps I would be seeing with these old school lofts. Here is what I captured below....

i10 6 iron 30.5° - 166 yards
i10 7 iron 34° - 153 yards
i10 8 iron 38° - 147 yards
i10 9 iron 42° - 137 yards
i10 PW 46° -126 yards

This was more for fun and just checking some things out with some older lengths/lofts. But I found it somewhat interesting on a personal level. While those numbers don't scream distance monsters, I actually think I could play those with no issues.

Anyway, enough rambling, do you ever do a gap test on your irons? Do you know what number you are looking for when adding something in at the top or bottom end of the set? For example, I'd be looking at a wedge I could hit in that 110-115 mark, and either another iron or hybrid that I could fly around 175-180.

nothing gets added to my bag without having a specific purpose. Just like you I make sure I have a specific yardage i'm looking for each and sometimes they overlap.

nothing gets added to my bag without having a specific purpose. Just like you I make sure I have a specific yardage i'm looking for each and sometimes they overlap.

^^^^ this

I need everything to have a distance and be gapped accordingly

Of course dialing in the new set, so that’s fun

I have my irons gapped as well as I can. No two swings are the same so my mileage will vary, but they remain consistent based on expectations.

Im doing something like that as we speak. I’ve always just use the 10yrd rule off a baseline 7i distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something I constantly do. Recently I did it when shortening my irons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - have my irons play to a certain number and know the rough distance with all of them. My Srixon's play about a half club longer than my i10's. Typically once I have the 7 or 8iron distance down, I can keep it fairly consistent through the set.

Agree except for the overlap part. gross.

That over lap is my hybrids. One for control/carry and one for total distance.

I may end up with a hybrid/iron overlap. I typically find it easier to hit a hybrid out of the rough, but will have to see how I get on with the HMP 5i.

So how are y'all testing this? Is it possible to do without monitors?

So how are y'all testing this? Is it possible to do without monitors?
Real time on course?

I would be surprised if folks (especially on thp) didn't know these numbers. Like others have said I don't buy or use a club unless it has a purpose and yardage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I Play similar weak lofts in a higher CG head (the old loft standard)

That's why I use the Shotscope V2. It keeps all these average numbers for me. Makes life a whole lot easier.
f1bd17c87e4a02c619fdf4e97a389921.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a bag full of extra clubs (mainly 4 hybrid and 3 and 5 FWs) that didn't cut it in regards to needed distance gapping. I definitely require that each club hit a reasonable distance range (10 - 15 yards) to the clubs on each side of it.

I have a good idea of where I want my yardages to be based on past history with previous sets. I don't have a great way to test that though other than on the course so when new clubs go in the bag it's a bit of a crap shoot for a few rounds.

Back