The Red Wine Thread

I've been (slowly) trying to become more of an aficionado, but becoming an aficionado of beer/wine/scotch/bourbon/cigars/golf/etc simultaneously takes a minute or two...

My general go to is Malbec.

To bring this back to golf terms... I feel like I've found a good driver stock shaft, but I'm looking for the aftermarket upgrade.

What are the HZRDUS, Rogue MSI, Oban, UST Helium of the Malbec world?

Hmmm, interested in that as well. My favorite red by far is Malbec.

Sorry I won't be able to contribute much to this thread personally. I like wine that tastes like beer. But my wife & her whole family drink a lot of reds, so I'll be active in terms of passing along any info (both ways).

I have not had a bottle of this in years, but you are correct...a great bottle of wine at a great price. Phantom from Bogle is also very nice. Not sure about the price on that but it would qualify for this thread.

I don't limit my wine purchases to a certain $ amount as there are too many wineries in Wash. state with prices all over the map. Let's just say that most red wines I find here to my liking range from $25 to over $100. Most of those you will not easily find except in a wine shop.

An event called Taste Washington is coming up in a week and I will see if I can find something to fit in this category...if I can tear myself away from the more limited offerings. Cheers!

I was very, very surprised when I first tried it and it's my go to bottle if I can't decided on something different! I'm going to try and find a bottle of Phantom now!

You mean you don't pound Duplin Scuppernong Blush by the case? :alien:

Virginia has a rapidly growing number of small wineries popping up and there is plenty to choose from in the $25 range.

Ughh. I've got a hangover just thinking about that stuff. I'll say this: Best Carolina has a lot of good things going for it, but local wines are not on that list. (Not for me anyway)

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Another good one in the blend category is Ménage a tois Silk. Usually around 10-14 a bottle.

Their Midnight is a good one for those that like the darker wines, it's at about the limit of my preferences, but it's solid.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Wine is like pizza - taste and preference are personal. I know what I like, and I have four criteria:

1. Recommended, or something we previously enjoyed
  2. Under $20, $25 if the wine or the occasion is super special. And, preferably,
  3. No screw cap.
  4. No "Best by" date

We've been enjoying some $12-18 Malbecs lately.

I wouldn't cook with wine I wouldn't drink, and I have done both with Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw, at Trader Joe's.) I have a killer cabernet burger recipe and the wine of choice is currently Rex Goliath - about $10.99 for the large economy size 1.5 liter bottle.

I've been to business dinners where wine that would go for $50 and up in stores was served. It was very good, but not necessarily four times as good as a $12.50 bottle - to me. But to someone else, it would be obvious.

Reminds me of a story when I was at GE. The President of Plastics was hosting the President of Lighting, showing him a bunch a display cases containing parts made from GE Plastics, like bumpers and lawnmower decks. Suddenly, Lighting Guy fell silent, so Plastics Guy asked if something was wrong. Lighting took Plastics back three cases and said, "Get that @%#ing Sylvania light bulb the @%# out of there!" Plastics quickly agreed, but thought Lighting had lost it. The next day, the maintenance guys showed up in the President's office, holding the only Sylvania light bulb installed in the cases. They had needed bulbs, but the local hardware store was out of GE, so someone bought Sylvania instead. No one could tell the difference, right?
Dont be scared of the screw cap. I dont think youre shelving the wine youre talking about. Some A to Z pinot noir is a good example of some good value wine in a screw cap. Australian Shiraz is good too with mostly screw tops.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Dont be scared of the screw cap. I dont think youre shelving the wine youre talking about. Some A to Z pinot noir is a good example of some good value wine in a screw cap. Australian Shiraz is good too with mostly screw tops.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Actually, it's the combination of 3) and 4) that give me pause. :laugh:

I agree Australian Shiraz can be good stuff, and the failure rate of real corks is something like 12%.

I love reds hate whites. Agree wholeheartedly that many great reds are under $50 but I'd say 1/3 of what I buy is $50 to $150 because there are some incredible reds in that range. I'm on the Kosta Brown list and required to buy a case per quarter and they average out to around $85/bottle.

Having said that I have many pinots I enjoy that fall into the $12 to $20 a bottle range. We'll go through 6 to 8 a week so I don't want to be drinking $750 a wine weekly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a little wine shop about 5 mins from our house that has a patio. Every Friday and Saturday night they do 5 flight wine tastings for $12....awesome deal for some great wines. Every weekend is a different theme...

Here is one of my cheap bottle Merlot that offers a currant and smoky oak taste. Can be found between $9-14.
3ec4cc663c53c2b6d474e1645986abc7.jpg

I am certainly not a wine guy per say, (rum head) but the best Red Wine I have ever had the pleasure of drinking was in Argentina in a local cafe. It was Lopez Estates Red Wine and about $6.00. We were eating (and visiting) and 3 of us drank 4 bottles and it went well with everything.

I asked what type of wine it was since I know nothing of wine types and they told me it is simply red table wine and for drinking not tasting. Just tasted great, not too sweet or dry, just good wine.

I love reds hate whites. Agree wholeheartedly that many great reds are under $50 but I'd say 1/3 of what I buy is $50 to $150 because there are some incredible reds in that range. I'm on the Kosta Brown list and required to buy a case per quarter and they average out to around $85/bottle.

Having said that I have many pinots I enjoy that fall into the $12 to $20 a bottle range. We'll go through 6 to 8 a week so I don't want to be drinking $750 a wine weekly!

i am not a pinot guy. i looooooove kosta browne!

Here is one of my cheap bottle Merlot that offers a currant and smoky oak taste. Can be found between $9-14.
3ec4cc663c53c2b6d474e1645986abc7.jpg

Interesting. I love smokey flavors I my wine. Will need to check it out!

RED WINE ONLY - anti wine snobs

i am not a pinot guy. i looooooove kosta browne!

It's the S isn't it! I love it, once I got on the list I will stay on it. We are visiting the Sonoma winery in June.

Interesting. I love smokey flavors I my wine. Will need to check it out!

Last time I was out in Monterrey we stop by this winery that had caught on fire. That was the first time I was introduced to a smoked flavor in my wine and had to safe it was fabulous. I actually need to look that winery back up as I know they shipped. More expensive then the Smoking Loon, but was damn good to drop some cash on for a few bottles.

Here is a good and cheap red. I have a case at home - $12 a bottle

fb6117388f3b471b388b9e09111dc447.jpg

Another favorite of mine - $18 a bottle

8866f2b2983135e2c4d500f49ef46ae8.jpg

One of my favorites. I love wines from the Barossa Valley and this one is tough to beat for $15.

10daf59bf21adb8af358d34abfedd8fb.jpg

I have a feeling this thread will BLOW UP on weekends haha

I've been (slowly) trying to become more of an aficionado, but becoming an aficionado of beer/wine/scotch/bourbon/cigars/golf/etc simultaneously takes a minute or two...

My general go to is Malbec.

To bring this back to golf terms... I feel like I've found a good driver stock shaft, but I'm looking for the aftermarket upgrade.

What are the HZRDUS, Rogue MSI, Oban, UST Helium of the Malbec world?

well, all of those shafts are in the upper echelon price-wise, so the upper echelon of malbec is generally considered achaval-ferrer and bodgega catena zapa, more specifically their vineyard-designated bottlings. i've not pursued those high end malbecs because to me malbec can often be very good at surprisingly low cost.

if you like big, juicy spicy reds, i would look to more modern spanish wines. bodegas el nido "clio" and "el nido" are wonderful wines. bodegas alto monacayo "alto moncayo" and "aquilon" are also great. there are many more, but those are a couple stalwarts i have enjoyed that can present similarly to malbec.

No screw cap.

poor screw caps really got a bad rap. it's a much better enclosure than cork. some very expensive wines come under screw cap, but they'll get fancy on you and correct you that it's "under stelvin" referring to the specific brand of enclosure. cool, bro. "stelvin." yeesh.

No "Best by" date

i'm interested in this requirement. why no best by date? are you used to seeing best by dates on cheap wines? i've never seen that before. every wine, and i mean EVERY wine, has a shelf life. only fortified wines like port and sauternes are meant to be aged for long-term drinking. the vast majority, and i'm talking probably 95% and that's not overstating, of wines are meant to be drunk within the first 5-10 years from vintage date. the only non-fortified wines that i've ever had that i thought were fantastic with 20-30 years of age are certain bottles of bordeaux, but even then i'd rather have a young new world or modern wine over those aged bordeaux.

No one could tell the difference, right?

this has been done many times, and would probably extrapolate to golf as well. take the miura stamp off and put spalding on the sole and people would tell you it feels like garbage. the opposite would probably be true if you switched it around. the best wine reviewers in the world have been duped on many occasions. confirmation bias is really strong when subjective descriptors like smells and flavors are in play. it's why i think blind tasting is stupid. knowing i'm drinking a bottle of penfolds grange absolutely adds to the experience, just as much as eating a prime grade steak at a top-end restaurant adds to the experience.

this has been done many times, and would probably extrapolate to golf as well. take the miura stamp off and put spalding on the sole and people would tell you it feels like garbage. the opposite would probably be true if you switched it around. the best wine reviewers in the world have been duped on many occasions. confirmation bias is really strong when subjective descriptors like smells and flavors are in play. it's why i think blind tasting is stupid. knowing i'm drinking a bottle of penfolds grange absolutely adds to the experience, just as much as eating a prime grade steak at a top-end restaurant adds to the experience.

Terroir. They can say its about the soil, in reality its about the story.

Terroir. They can say its about the soil, in reality its about the story.

when pxg came out, i immediately thought of this example in wine http://www.tuskestates.com/about

don't buy it because it's better quality, buy it because the box is awesome and it's expensive. pt barnum was right.

what may be sold as terroir could very well be winemaker influence along the way, no matter what story they're peddling.

to op- check out sans liege winery http://www.sansliege.com/. their sans liege wines and their groundwork wines are some of the best value i've ever had.

Robert Foley is my favorite winemaker. He has made expensive and less expensive (generally speaking) with Pride, Switchback, RF, etc. Always know I am paying more for his, and always seem to enjoy them.

Terroir in wine is the club head feel in golf.

Back