Apple Watch Golf App - what is new and what are people using...

TJSlayer

Reaction score
Handicap
I have used a few ranging from Golf Shot, Golf Logix, Golf Pad and last year Fun Golf.

Was all set to renew FunGolf, but they have sold to TagHauer and are now double the price for the premium...

Like it as it was pretty rock solid and very quick to update yardages.

Tried the Grint the other days and work well enough but a bit slow to update the GPS distances...

May try Golf Shot again to see if its better from a few years ago (was prone to locking up and crashing)
Was going to try hole 19 But they want a good chunk for premium as well, right up there with the new TagHauer...

I don't mind spend $20-$30 but the ones looking for $50 and up are just gouging a bit... since we only get about 5 mths of golf here ... :(

So just looking at up to date opinion on the latest round of apps.

Based on accuracy, speed of GPS update, ability to keep score on watch, tracking distances of shots and to hazard is a bonus, and reliability of course :)

Thanks

TJ

Give Hole19 a try. Works pretty good. GPS is tied to the phone, but updates pretty quickly.

Yeah I was going to try hole 19 next but to get some of the features I want need to do Premium and they seem to want a good chunk for the yearly fee as well $50-60 year Canadian which is about double some of the others.

And we only get to actually use it up here about 6 mths :(

I heard golf logix is good, I may give them a shot this year. @Jman did a really good review on the mobile app, and I know it had a iwatch component too.

Have you considered Arccos? It’s a sensor deal, but the watch app beta (for watch only) is out and public.

The arccos Watch app and app are great if you use the sensors.

Had the first version of arccos and had quite a few times where it missed strokes, or locked up completely and was messing around more with the app then golfing. Not sure if it has improved that much or not...

Not sure you can use just the app without the sensors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used golfshot for years and haven't had a problem with it. Also have a Bushnell TourX and when comparing yardages, within a yard or two of each other.

Yeah I think I’m going to try golf shot again as it looks like I have the plus lifetime version so should be able to try it out next game!

Otherwise will try golfpad gps again and then try to make a decision

The arccos Watch app and app are great if you use the sensors.

ive found the arrcos watch app to be useless. I dunno if there's a way to change settings or something, but my arrcos app never stays open on the watch. The phone is always on and tracks everything and gives distance, the watch I always have to manually open. So far its been easier to just pull my phone out of my pocket since the app stays open.

ive found the arrcos watch app to be useless. I dunno if there's a way to change settings or something, but my arrcos app never stays open on the watch. The phone is always on and tracks everything and gives distance, the watch I always have to manually open. So far its been easier to just pull my phone out of my pocket since the app stays open.

There is a setting on the Apple Watch that will open last used app, you have to turn on in settings for the watch on your phone, then the app will remain open. It works that way with all the watch apps....

I use golf shot but don't use the watch app with it. Noticed it having too many glitches. One as I'm walking off the green before scoring it'll switch to the next hole. Seems after each update that setting gets turned back on automatically. Another I noticed while tracking shots, once I start tracking if I looked at my watch it would reset the number. So I just turned it off on the watch and just use the phone mounted to my push cart. I really enjoy the phone app.

That’s a Apple Watch setting change to make.

(I see it was answered above now)

There is a setting on the Apple Watch that will open last used app, you have to turn on in settings for the watch on your phone, then the app will remain open. It works that way with all the watch apps....

This is good to know. I always had problems with it turning off the app as well and I had to push the button to access the app again, it was super annoying. My setting was set for 2 minutes I just changed it 1 hour and I think that should work better.

Just found it. Thanks!!

Yeah I was going to try hole 19 next but to get some of the features I want need to do Premium and they seem to want a good chunk for the yearly fee as well $50-60 year Canadian which is about double some of the others.And we only get to actually use it up here about 6 mths :(

I use Hole19. Last year I only used the FREE version on the phone, and loved it. This year I am using it on the watch, and love it.

The free version is great, the developers did such a great job that 3 weeks ago I decided to buy the 6 month premium package. I don't really use the premium features that much, but felt I wanted to give some cash love back for a great product.

They just introduced a 6 month "wearable" subscription for half the price.

I use Hole19. Last year I only used the FREE version on the phone, and loved it. This year I am using it on the watch, and love it.

The free version is great, the developers did such a great job that 3 weeks ago I decided to buy the 6 month premium package. I don't really use the premium features that much, but felt I wanted to give some cash love back for a great product.

They just introduced a 6 month "wearable" subscription for half the price.

Thanks I didn't know that still a bit more than Golf shot but at least it's a bit closer, may try it after golf shot to see if I like it better....

I have NEVER used any tech on the course. What all does one of these apps do for you? Really curious because I don't know how it would benefit me or if it would consume too much time using on the course.

I use Golfshot with Apple Watch. I get the yardage to front, middle, and back. As I walk to the next tee box I enter the score and number of putts. No extra time and is quicker than writing on scorecard. After the round I review each hole on iPhone and submit for GHIN handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use Golfshot with Apple Watch. I get the yardage to front, middle, and back. As I walk to the next tee box I enter the score and number of putts. No extra time and is quicker than writing on scorecard. After the round I review each hole on iPhone and submit for GHIN handicap.

How has it been working with the Apple Watch? Nice and reliable? Which version of watch...

How has it been working with the Apple Watch? Nice and reliable? Which version of watch...

Works great. Updates yardages quickly and very responsive. I have the series 4

Had the first version of arccos and had quite a few times where it missed strokes, or locked up completely and was messing around more with the app then golfing. Not sure if it has improved that much or not...

Not sure you can use just the app without the sensors...

You can use the app without the sensors. I have. The only pain is that it you need to tell it to change holes most of the time.

I just upgraded from first gen sensors and love the system. Biggest issue was having a sensor battery die. I have heard that non-IOS users have had a much more varied experience tho.

I have NEVER used any tech on the course. What all does one of these apps do for you? Really curious because I don't know how it would benefit me or if it would consume too much time using on the course.

All I use the watch/phone for is yardages for front-middle-back of green. It replaces pacing off from course markers. Its instant and always on my wrist, way faster than dealing with a range finder.

I will pull the phone on a hole where I have never played before, it will show the distance to the hazard.

The way I use it, the tech only uses as much time as it takes to glance at the watch.

Just found out the the tagheuer app is half price for FunGolf premium users so will likely stick with that as it was really solid.

Thanks for the opinions will let you know what I think about the new app

Back