PING adds Arccos and Offers Smart Set Technology

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not the best kept secret, since it was on display at the PGA Show, but it is official now. Those that followed our PGA Show coverage, heard Michael Vrska and THP Staff Writer Molten talk about the confusion around this launch. Today some of that confusion goes away, because the Smart Grip is available through custom order on all of their clubs.

Golf Pride is the exclusive supplier of the Smart Grip, which as you can see looks similar to what was shown from the PGA Show and what we have seen in the marketplace previously.

Right now the Smart Grip is available in the Golf Pride 360 Tour Velvet with MSRP of $10.50
You can also get the Smart Sensor and Smart Putter that screw into the top of most grips. Those are $10.50 as well.

IMG_7653-L.jpg

this makes me ponder the G410 irons a bit more. Confusing as to why it took so long, but that seems kind of par for the course with Ping.

I guess it was inevitable that Cobra wouldn't have the market cornered on this for long. I think its a great product, maybe this will expedite the grip companies to make more grips that will fit the sensor.

I guess it was inevitable that Cobra wouldn't have the market cornered on this for long. I think its a great product, maybe this will expedite the grip companies to make more grips that will fit the sensor.

I hope so. Kind of like the when Apple came out with Apple Pay. Mobile payments weren't anything new, but with more recognition made it more available to use in stores.

• Admin
this makes me ponder the G410 irons a bit more. Confusing as to why it took so long, but that seems kind of par for the course with Ping.

Would you be pissed if you had already purchased them? Normally I fall on the line on this type of later release, but showing it off at the PGA Show and it being everywhere, that is where its a tough call for me.

So you can buy just the Smart Grips with Arrcos sensors? As to install on your current gamers?

• Admin

While the press copy is as confusing as it was at the show, I can say for certain that Golf Pride will have these available separately in a few of their most popular grips.

Would you be pissed if you had already purchased them? Normally I fall on the line on this type of later release, but showing it off at the PGA Show and it being everywhere, that is where its a tough call for me.

If they offered people that already purchased the option to send back for the new grips I think I'd be happy as a consumer. If not I'd be a kind of pissed.

I'm not sure to be honest because it doesn't sound like it's a stock option like cobra connect is, and I could be wrong on that. Even the release info is a bit sparse. But if I had to put down the extra 10 per grip/sensor at the time of purchase, nothing is technically stopping me from doing that now.

You know me, my track record has always been release now. It's why I dislike when companies release a driver in a different color(that's not a LE item) months after the initial release. Same goes for irons and iron finishes. So this one is kind of tough in my mind as well.

Maybe I’m missing it but if the sensors are screw in how is this different from buying Arccos generically? Aren’t Cobra’s iron sensors integrated into the grip like they are on the drivers?

And to the question above about being mad if I bought thenirons already, it would depend on pricing. If I paid the same price that people will now pay to get the sensors I would definitely be angry about it.

Maybe I’m missing it but if the sensors are screw in how is this different from buying Arccos generically? Aren’t Cobra’s iron sensors integrated into the grip like they are on the drivers?

And to the question above about being mad if I bought thenirons already, it would depend on pricing. If I paid the same price that people will now pay to get the sensors I would definitely be angry about it.

They are offering both screw in and grips with them mounted (Golf Pride).

If they offered people that already purchased the option to send back for the new grips I think I'd be happy as a consumer. If not I'd be a kind of pissed.

If it's not a stock option like cobra connect is, does it matter? Because it sounds like there would be an upcharge anyway, which means you can just buy them now at the same price. Their press copy is confusing the crap out of me haha

If it's not a stock option like cobra connect is, does it matter? Because it sounds like there would be an upcharge anyway, which means you can just buy them now at the same price. Their press copy is confusing the crap out of me haha

Yeah I was trying to figure that out. Its a custom option it seems so you'd have to pay for the grips. I still think if they allowed you to send them back for free (shipping and install) it would be a nice gesture to those who had already a purchased a new set and wanted the upgrade.

You are not alone. The release is confusing as to cost. I would assume (which means I am probably wrong) that there is an upcharge, but wouldn't you save vs the grips you are not getting? Or is the $10.50 the upcharge, which in fairness is cheaper than buying a set of Arccos I believe and does come with 90 days of caddie.

Now with that said, it is no more confusing than myself, @Molten and @vgolfman were at the show when the info was given to us and we were all puzzled then. Which many heard during the live stream when Michael Vrska described the info.

Yeah I was trying to figure that out. Its a custom option it seems so you'd have to pay for the grips. I still think if they allowed you to send them back for free (shipping and install) it would be a nice gesture to those who had already a purchased a new set and wanted the upgrade.

man I would hate to have to send my clubs back for them to install. Just let me pay the upgrade price and install them myself.

You are not alone. The release is confusing as to cost. I would assume (which means I am probably wrong) that there is an upcharge, but wouldn't you save vs the grips you are not getting? Or is the $10.50 the upcharge, which in fairness is cheaper than buying a set of Arccos I believe and does come with 90 days of caddie.

Now with that said, it is no more confusing than myself, @Molten and @vgolfman were at the show when the info was given to us and we were all puzzled then. Which many heard during the live stream when Michael Vrska described the info.

yeah I mean the 10.50 is cheaper, and as someone who is thinking of using Arccos, that makes me happy. Can I buy directly from ping without ping clubs? Seriously, this just shows the value Cobra has with them being stock on clubs AND if you buy an iron set they include the rest of the plugs or grips free for your other sticks.

man I would hate to have to send my clubs back for them to install. Just let me pay the upgrade price and install them myself.

Haha yeah it would be a pain but not everyone has the ability to do that or even wants to. If they get the grips and go somewhere to have it done its going to cost even more $$. Thats the only reason I suggested it.

Haha yeah it would be a pain but not everyone has the ability to do that or even wants to. If they get the grips and go somewhere to have it done its going to cost even more $$. Thats the only reason I suggested it.

very true. I'd have to balance out the cost of grip isntall, say $3-$4 per grip, vs the time of not having my clubs. Set of 7 irons, add in the grip cost of $10.50, and then $28 for installs at store. $40 isn't crazy, but then again everyone's situation is different.

very true. I'd have to balance out the cost of grip isntall, say $3-$4 per grip, vs the time of not having my clubs. Set of 7 irons, add in the grip cost of $10.50, and then $28 for installs at store. $40 isn't crazy, but then again everyone's situation is different.

One note. Ping's version of the caddie app, ONLY works if you have all 14 clubs done.
Which I believe is true for Cobra as well, but they are included.

One note. Ping's version of the caddie app, ONLY works if you have all 14 clubs done.

good to know.

I’m so confused still. How is that possible in today’s marketplace?!

PING adds Arccos and Offers Smart Set Technology

That’s correct

I think this is great as an offering though and good on expanding to Golf Pride

I would consider these and it’s definitely a selling point as I’m a fan of Cobra Connect/Arccos

I would love to see this and have them keep the grip weights where they are so swing-weighting isn't an issue.

I would love to see this and have them keep the grip weights where they are so swing-weighting isn't an issue.

Have you found an issue with it so far? Genuinely curious as it has not been much problem to build.

Often the way these things work is that a company will pay to have an exclusive for a period of time, after which it can be sold/licensed to anyone. I've also seen this happen with certain shafts in the past where one OEM will get to offer a new model for a season exclusively.

Back