The Red Wine Thread

Scout's Honor from Napa Valley, very nice!

Picked this up last night. Not too bad.

efb2d6be7900217a5d3c4cb314f6c538.jpg

More of a beer guy here but wife really likes the "reserve" label from Trader Joe's, $9.99.
185477ba7a659e8a3d4a2fd1d2b20e01.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Foley is my favorite winemaker. He has made expensive and less expensive (generally speaking) with Pride, Switchback, RF, etc. Always know I am paying more for his, and always seem to enjoy them.

Terroir in wine is the club head feel in golf.

Verrrrrrrrrrry strong winemaker right there. Agreed completely.

More of a beer guy here but wife really likes the "reserve" label from Trader Joe's, $9.99.
185477ba7a659e8a3d4a2fd1d2b20e01.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried it. Not bad not bad. Whole foods sells some really solid mid to low prices wines also.

Another she likes is the Dave Matthews wine, Dreaming Tree. I think the red blend she gets is called Crush. Think it's around $15.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Pretty good French wine under $12 bucks.

I'll post some pics in here from time to time as we are big fans of Reds and our price range is usually $10-$30/bottle. Some favorites include:
Meiomi - Pinot Noir
Apothic - Red Blend and Dark Blend
Dreaming Tree - Crush
X Winery - Red Blend
14 Hands - Merlot

More to come...

14hands is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably more helpful to list one with a pic than a bunch. Kinda limits the field a. Bit. Just sayin...

My attempts at humor failed. "No screw cap" and "no 'best by' date" were intended to say that I would exclude things such as MD 20/20 or Thunderbird (and I have no idea whether they have "best by" on the bottle.) A way of saying I don't have very high standards when it comes to wine. It simply has to be enjoyable, and I find I don't have to spend a lot to get enjoyable wine. I understand completely that every wine has a shelf life, and that screw caps and synthetic corks work just fine for their in tended purposes. It's a great example of why I'm not a stand-up comic, or comedy writer.

My attempts at humor failed. "No screw cap" and "no 'best by' date" were intended to say that I would exclude things such as MD 20/20 or Thunderbird (and I have no idea whether they have "best by" on the bottle.) A way of saying I don't have very high standards when it comes to wine. It simply has to be enjoyable, and I find I don't have to spend a lot to get enjoyable wine. I understand completely that every wine has a shelf life, and that screw caps and synthetic corks work just fine for their in tended purposes. It's a great example of why I'm not a stand-up comic, or comedy writer.

MD 20/20.....Thunderbird....I just had a flashback to high school, hahaha!

I love reds hate whites. Agree wholeheartedly that many great reds are under $50 but I'd say 1/3 of what I buy is $50 to $150 because there are some incredible reds in that range. I'm on the Kosta Brown list and required to buy a case per quarter and they average out to around $85/bottle.

Having said that I have many pinots I enjoy that fall into the $12 to $20 a bottle range. We'll go through 6 to 8 a week so I don't want to be drinking $750 a wine weekly!

A case a quarter!!?? No wonder I have trouble finding Kosta Brown. I purchased 1 bottle last year and have yet to try it. Heck, I should be buying from you...except Texas has a weird thing about wine sales not involving the winery.

A case a quarter!!?? No wonder I have trouble finding Kosta Brown. I purchased 1 bottle last year and have yet to try it. Heck, I should be buying from you...except Texas has a weird thing about wine sales not involving the winery.

if he'll sell it for cost count me in! kosta gets flipped a good bit. I'm on schrader's list and I can usually flip it for 1.5-2x. but I didn't have the funds to buy from them last year so I think they may have kicked me off.

here are some of my favs under $50

bodegas el nido clio
anything Herman story makes
anything sans liege makes
bodegas volver monastrell tarima hill
bodegas alto moncayo veraton
sleight of hand syrah
rasa
mollydooker
chappellet

I have not found a bottle of cab Sauv in our range that I enjoy.

most of what I buy these days are a few mailing lists, and the rest is from flash sales from last bottle offers. we go through a bottle a week, and I still have about 25 cases from my wine infatuation days so I don't need to buy much. I hope to one day have the funds to get into it again, but now's not the time.

$5.99 for an every day drinker
01524994f293fe3d83ea02311e6e6dff.jpg

Handcraft Cab.
It's awesome. Around $12 a bottle. And yes the first time I bought it was only because the name reminded me of the Project X #thehandcraftedexperience

My wife enjoys wine, mostly cab, she isn't super picky, but has to be a bit more oaky and not as much super sweet fruit flavored.

That being said, we usually pickup various wines from the market, in the $7 - $20 range and most are actually quite good. I've also had some much more expensive wines and they were all pretty good.

One of the lower end price point ones thats not half bad that could be a daily drinker is barefoot. But mostly she has been enjoying as of late, Chateau St Jean and Chateau St Michelle cabs which vary between $13 - $18 a bottle. generally I find that george duboef is usually good too.

Probably one of my favorite wines I have had was given to me by a friend and not sure how much it cost, but it was a Tom Eddy Cab.

I'm not really much of a drinker at all, maybe a glass of wine when we go out once in a while but thats about it.

Not sure how far they distribute around the country, but there's a wine distributor here in Boston that puts out wine under the "90+ Cellars" label. What they do is buy wines that they say have been rated 90 or above that vineyards need to unload, and then they sell that wine under their label. The pricing is usually <$20, but the quality is pretty good. The husband of one of my coworkers is one of the people that runs the company, so I like to see them do well.

**** I'm drunk. Not on wine. Damn it off topic

Just an FYI...Wine Spectator released a new app for iPhone & iPad called Xvalues listing wines and ratings in the more modest wine price range. I'm not sure how often they change their listings, but worth checking out.

I'm not selling!!!!

Close friend of mine finagled my way in, as much as I go through its not a bad buy.

One of the best wine tips I ever received was to try riojas. Rioja is a Spanish region (similar to Bordeaux). Mainly focused on the tempranillo grape. If you like Cabernet or other big bold reds then this is a great place to expand to.

On to the recommendations! First try a Marques de Caceres Reserva Rioja. Approximately $18 by me and a good representation of Rioja. Should be relatively easy to find.

A note about Rioja. It comes in Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva. Crianza is the base model, not aged in oak or the bottle too long, but good value. Reserva I tend to think of as the sweet spot. Aged well in oak and typically a couple years in the bottle as well before it is even released. Great value and drinks well above its price. Gran Reserva are made from the best grapes in the best years. Aged the longest and I will buy if I'm treating myself.

I'll be back with some more examples with some photos, let me know what you think!

Back