Callaway XR16 Pro Driver Review Thread

Continually impressed by this club. I also traded my GBB for it. Have made a small change in my swing and has resulted in much better face contact. Nothing on toe. Pretty much all around center. 4 rounds and a few range trips. As happy with the swing change as the driver. Rock solid so far for me.
4ce1698f4e77ce130b0c5b4c99831f69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are those marks normal? My XR16 doesn't have any of this marks on the face.

I'm betting angle and sandy/dirty range balls.

I'm betting angle and sandy/dirty range balls.
Range balls, yep ours have a bit of sand on them. Angle does make them look worse than they are. Gives me the feedback I'm looking for though.

Got this out to the range for the first time today. Cold and windy but loved the feel. Overall, swing didn't feel great but even the misses were going straight. Used to play a G30 with the tour 65 stiff shaft and have the Diamana Whiteboard stiff in the XR16 Pro. Love the feel of the heavier shaft. Just wish the weather would cooperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you all like the stock shaft? Is it a real deal top quality Fuji?

Been practicing for my long drive competition with kc and J4U this June. I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling pretty darn good right about now with the XR16 and the UST Elements Platinum. This Pro model is a beast but I think the regular can take it with one good swing! :golf:

I need to try this one soon!

I went to a Callaway demo day yesterday with Xman and I continue to be impressed with this driver. It was fairly easy to hit and they had my current shaft the Aldila rogue which probably helped too. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the XR line surpassed the Big Bertha this year? Nice driver and I may upgrade soon.

Got to demo this yesterday at Dicks. Struggled with launch because the GB Dicks never has long enough tees, but I finally managed to cobble something together and get some decent hits. I couldn't separate the 16 pro from the regular xr16. The xr 16 pro had a bit less spin and a bit less forgiving than xr, which is to be expected, but the difference was remarkably small. The best hits from each were nearly identical. I imagine that maybe I just don't have the swing speed to gain any real advantage from the pro vs the regular xr. I would like to try one under better conditions to see for sure because it is really good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Impact results, first hit,and then about 20 more .
9b19a476ee15377a84ed2377c19f7a20.jpg

5c70b884b0549cbd75f257f35fb17f5c.jpg

Got to demo this yesterday at Dicks. Struggled with launch because the GB Dicks never has long enough tees, but I finally managed to cobble something together and get some decent hits. I couldn't separate the 16 pro from the regular xr16. The xr 16 pro had a bit less spin and a bit less forgiving than xr, which is to be expected, but the difference was remarkably small. The best hits from each were nearly identical. I imagine that maybe I just don't have the swing speed to gain any real advantage from the pro vs the regular xr. I would like to try one under better conditions to see for sure because it is really good.

Very hard to adjust a swing to a tee height. Did you use the same shaft in both heads. When I tried them at GT I got the most out of the pro with its stock shaft and going a flex firmer.

Very hard to adjust a swing to a tee height. Did you use the same shaft in both heads. When I tried them at GT I got the most out of the pro with its stock shaft and going a flex firmer.
I think they might have had the shafts reversed, now that you mention it. E.g. the pro shaft in the xr, and vice versa. I do want to spend more time with both of them under better conditions. Maybe I need to buy a rubber tee that is long enough and bring it with me. Haha

Got this out to the range for the first time today. Cold and windy but loved the feel. Overall, swing didn't feel great but even the misses were going straight. Used to play a G30 with the tour 65 stiff shaft and have the Diamana Whiteboard stiff in the XR16 Pro. Love the feel of the heavier shaft. Just wish the weather would cooperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact setup I'm pondering, keep the updates coming!

This is the exact setup I'm pondering, keep the updates coming!

So far I absolutely love it, but unfortunately the weather in central pa, and a sick kiddo hasn't let me get it out on the course. I'm a low-mid 90 mph with the driver and used to play a G30 with the tour 65 stiff shaft. I'm finding that I like a bit of a heavier shaft. Few times I've hit it on the range I've noticed much better dispersion and no crazy awful slices. Even though I've always struggled with the driver, the pro felt and looked better to me than the XR16 (though the club hoarder in me wants to get an XR16 head just to tinker with for fun )

So far I absolutely love it, but unfortunately the weather in central pa, and a sick kiddo hasn't let me get it out on the course. I'm a low-mid 90 mph with the driver and used to play a G30 with the tour 65 stiff shaft. I'm finding that I like a bit of a heavier shaft. Few times I've hit it on the range I've noticed much better dispersion and no crazy awful slices. Even though I've always struggled with the driver, the pro felt and looked better to me than the XR16 (though the club hoarder in me wants to get an XR16 head just to tinker with for fun )

I went through a recent fitting and found the Diamana D+ 70 to be the best fit. I'm curious to try it in both heads.

I went through a recent fitting and found the Diamana D+ 70 to be the best fit. I'm curious to try it in both heads.

That was the hard part for me. I took a trip down to a Golfsmith in MD that is over an hour away. All I have around me are DSG's and one range/fitter but none of them had a wide selection of shafts. Golfsmith didn't have the Diamana D+ 70. I ended up hitting the XR16 with the stock Speeder, then before I left I hit the XR16 pro with a X-Stiff Rip Phenom 70. Had my best drives and liked the look a lot better. Guy said that the Diamana would be a good shaft for me. Went with it and love the driver.

That was the hard part for me. I took a trip down to a Golfsmith in MD that is over an hour away. All I have around me are DSG's and one range/fitter but none of them had a wide selection of shafts. Golfsmith didn't have the Diamana D+ 70. I ended up hitting the XR16 with the stock Speeder, then before I left I hit the XR16 pro with a X-Stiff Rip Phenom 70. Had my best drives and liked the look a lot better. Guy said that the Diamana would be a good shaft for me. Went with it and love the driver.

Good to hear it's working out so far.

I thought I couldn't do without my GBB...I was wrong. Still not giving it my best...but this is a joy.

I thought I couldn't do without my GBB...I was wrong. Still not giving it my best...but this is a joy.
It's definitely flying lower and getting some roll (not much). At least you're not backing up the ball in the fairway now

Glad you found what works for you. Took me 4 stores to find one with the correct shaft for me. GG in New Castle De. My best fit was Matrix Red Tie. Just love this club. I've been searching for a driver for 4 or 5 years that feels and gives me the confidence this one does. It's been about 2 months and still just a fairway finder and long. Some has to do with a small swing change that has me pretty much wearing out the X on the clubface. Just love this thing.

I am in absolute love with this Driver / Shaft combo, set it down to D -1 (8*) and just pounded it all morning, missed 3 fairways and those were not all that bad. Had a Par 3 today playing at 221 yds. (by the laser) into the wind (about 10 mph) and hit it pin high 10 ft. right. Lipped it out of course, but easy par.

I am not any longer with this one on average, but knowing I can just swing away and it is going straight or a slight fade is something I have not seen in a long time. When I teed it lower on a couple of par 4's I got roll out like I have not see before. Downwind Par 5 teed it up higher and hit it over 250 total, just fantastic.

Got a chance to hit this with the stock speeder 665 in X. Was thoroughly impressed. Nice penetrating ball flight. If I was at club clash this would be a driver i would want to spend more time with. Either then pro or the non-pro with the same shafts

Another solid ball striking round with this again today. 28° when we started so distance down some. Still hit 9 of 11 fairways it was used. Misses 1 to 2 yards in rough. This club continues to impress me. More confident every time I swing it. Now if the short game was on today.

I have had a chance to take two swings with wyzyguy's XR16 pro 9° with the Aldila Rogue I/O 60 shaft. One time each weeks apart. Both shot shapes were slight draws. Both were LONG. The last one was yesterday on my Skytrak and I got a couple of the numbers from TGC. Carry distance 276 (!!) and backspin 2322. Whoa.

Still trying to decide on the pro or regular head. What differences have you all seen. My miss is high on the face.

Back