Mallet vs Blade Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its been a while since we have had a thread on this subject, so I thought with all of the recent tech talk coming out it would be a fun conversation. Which do you choose and why?

I choose blades almost every time with the exception of the #7. Thats the only mallet I've ever gamed successfully.

I'm using a blade because it's what I've always used and I prefer the looks. I've never had a proper fitting so a mallet might actually be better suited for my putting stroke.

Definitely Mallet for me. I have a hard time getting blade putters started on line. Much easier for me with a mallet.
Plus I like the heavier feel.

I've use and always used mallets as just seem to fit me better (never been fit, fyi), though I do love the look of blades.

Mallets for me. I just seem to be a lot more consistent - both in terms of starting the ball on line and definitely in terms of speed.

I can putt with both, but gravitate to mallets. They help me on shorter putts better than a blade

I used to be a blade guy all day everyday.

Then I had some issues last years.

Some great info on amateurs playing mallets, putt the Odyssey EXO Rossie S into play and end of year was probably the best I've ever putted.

After my last round, the last few holes something clicked and I'm feeling like I did end of 2018.

Mallet for me.

Mid-mallet. Blades are too skinny to my eye and mallets are too bulky. The mid-mallet is a perfect blend of both and what I've games for several years now.

I gravitate towards smaller mallets and mid mallets. I do like some blades, and have a few, but typically I will go towards smaller mallets when looking at putters.

Mallet for me. I need the added weight. Helps keep my swing more calm and settled.

I have noticed that for me personally it doesn't matter which putter I use...what is more important is that it has an L neck or plumbers neck. For some reason that visual setup works best for me. I have had mixed results with both putters but the neck option seems to be a non-negotiable for me!

I started out on blades, then gravitated to mallets. Here lately, though, I've been thinking of going back to try a blade again.

Team mallet for me due to the look at address and overall performance. Switched to mallet last year due to winning a THP contest and based on my putting success I stuck with it. Grandaddy fitting confirmed I stay with a mallet and it's here to stay!

I would love to be able to use a blade successfully. It seems like it would offer better touch on fast greens, but, sadly, I just don’t seem to be able to make as many putts with a blade as a mallet.

I'm about as solid on this question as I am for what is for dinner next Thursday.

My fall back fairly consistently has been a blade, and I have had some of my best putting performances with blade putters, but the increased MOI of a mallet and the benefits of roll that can be presented is very very hard to ignore.

Is this a blade or a mallet? Or a hybrid of both? Whatever you call it, this is what I use. I've never tried a true mallet putter.

DSC_70542-510x341.jpg

DSC_70552-510x341.jpg

I know I should use a mallet to take advantage of the benefits they provide but I just have more confidence in a blade. I always feel like my speed control is off with a mallet. Now give me a Rossie shape and size and I can roll that all day long but that's about the biggest I can feel comfortable with.

Is this a blade or a mallet? Or a hybrid of both? Whatever you call it, this is what I use. I've never tried a true mallet putter.

DSC_70542-510x341.jpg

DSC_70552-510x341.jpg

I would argue that thing is the offspring of a blade and a mid mallet.

I've never rolled a mallet that has felt right to me. Either the weighting or something else. A blade or a wide blade have always felt more comfortable for me.

I was using a Cleveland HB1 Blade for years, I then won the Tour Spider from Wildcat and fell in love. My boss who I play with had a rusted out old Ping putter that the neck was held on with duct tape, so I paid it forward and let him have the Cleveland. It took me a minute to get used to the feel of the Spider but I love it.

Blades because that's what has always fit my eye. Have gamed a few deeper flanged blades in the last couple of years so may give a small to mid mallet another try soon.

Mallet for me. I can play well with a blade, but like the look , feel, and balance of a mallet more. I just seem to be more consistent with alignment and speed when using a mallet.

Here's my latest, been pretty successful with it so far.

HB SOFT 05.jpgHB SOFT 03.jpg

I can go either way but over the past few years I choose blade simply because I like the look.

Blade at the moment, always used a blade in the past but don’t mind mallets either. I feel like I have more control or influence on the ball with a blade than a mallet.

Back