JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not the longest hole in the world, but it is in the US. How would you play it?

As daunting as it sounds, the par-6 third on the Longest Hole nine isn't a driver and three fairway woods. First of all, there are three ponds that will impede those club selections, plus this dogleg right plays downhill.

Off the tee, depending on the day and conditions, you may have to hit 3-wood to avoid the first water hazard. A fairway wood or hybrid then takes you around the corner short of another hazard. The last two hazards can be negotiated with short irons.

longesthole2.jpg

Four 4 irons to the green and hopefully 2 putt.

3-wood, hybrid, hybrid, 7-iron?

Hard to know without yardages to everything from the tees, but based on that description it seems like it could work.

Hard to know without yardages to everything from the tees, but based on that description it seems like it could work.

I’m with you hear - probably making a bogey would be a good score

First shot: swing as hard as possible, probably block it dead right. Reload.
Third shot: Smothered left into those moguls behind the front tee box.
Fourth shot: Lay up short of the water.
Fifth shot: Somewhere in the middle of that hill
Sixth shot: Overswing, stall coming down to impact and hit it heavy, right into the second water hazard
Seventh shot: swearing profusely, hit some sort of hybrid or fairway wood greenside. 50/50 on if on or not
Eighth shot: Get on the green within 7ft, or putt it run it by about 7ft
Ninth shot: Wonder what I'm doing with my life and what's wrong with my golf game, as I calmly knock in the 7 footer and avoid writing down 10.

4W+Hy+Hy+5i+chip on + 2 putt

Sixth shot: Overswing, stall coming down to impact and hit it heavy, right into the second water hazard
Seventh shot: swearing profusely, hit some sort of hybrid or fairway wood greenside. 50/50 on if on or not
Ninth shot: Wonder what I'm doing with my life and what's wrong with my golf game, as I calmly knock in the 7 footer and avoid writing down 10.

Dang man. That hit close to home.

Dang man. That hit close to home.

Oh, I forgot the part where I looked back at it and said to myself, “you know, this hole seemed really poorly designed. I didn’t even see this third water hazard that was stuck in my head as I started to swing”

Interestingly enough the aerial shows a pretty different hole than what is pictured. I used Blue golf to map out my shots, and while I could in theory reach in 3, it would take 3 perfect tough shots, and in all likelihood that is unlikely to happen even with many tries. So my next thought is to get there as stress free as possible.

It's not likely I would reach the first water hazard from the back tees, but there possibility is there so I would leave it in the bag. So For me it would go 3 hybrid, about 225 to the end of the first fairway, 6 iron about 185 to the left side of the middle of the second fairway, 7 Iron about 175 to the right front before the pond, and then PW into the green.

Of course no plan survives the first contact, so it is likely to go out the window somewhere along the way.

So this guy is like a psychic or something because this is 100% correct.

Probably tee off with a hybrid then go 4 iron driver off the deck for fun then who knows what happens.

Hybrid, hybrid, 5-iron, 8-iron... I think.

That would be a fun hole... I think.

According to Arccos I should go Driver, 3W, 3W... I admire its optimism.
a722ea582ba5628d0854e4498e0d48be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver or fairway off the tee, I'm not that long, so could likely hit driver
Whatever hybrid or iron necessary to get across the first pond and to the bottom of the slope in the second fairway
Whatever hybrid or iron to layup just short of the second pond
Whatever iron to the green

Probably double that for missing fairways and/or dunking into ponds.

Ydgsnga.jpg

Lets see

Shot 1: 3W off tee to the right tree. Goes maybe 220
Shot 2: Pitch out with 4 iron back into fairway
Shot 3: Try to go over water with 3W off the deck but it lands way short. Wind pushed it.
Shot 4: Drop
Shot 5: Wind dropped off so 3W trying to get into good position in front of second water. Sliced.
Shot 6: PW back into fairway in front of green. Perfect shot.
Shot 7: 6-7-8 Iron (whatever the distance is) into the green but that damn wind caught it and pushed it into bunker
Shot 8: PM Grind In the hole for an easy double.

3-wood, hybrid, hybrid, 7-iron?

Just looking at the picture JB included, there is some elevation change along the way. Down, up, down, up, if the representation is reasonably accurate. Your order of shots are roughly what came to mind. 4 shots on, 1 putt, and viola, birdie. More likely, there would be a couple of recovery shots in there to make it a bogey at best.

Just looking at the picture JB included, there is some elevation change along the way. Down, up, down, up, if the representation is reasonably accurate. Your order of shots are roughly what came to mind. 4 shots on, 1 putt, and viola, birdie. More likely, there would be a couple of recovery shots in there to make it a bogey at best.

Even if I'm on, I'm 3-putting for Bog.

#knowyourgame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not the longest hole in the world, but it is in the US. How would you play it?

longesthole2.jpg

I'll be the huckleberry. Where is the third pond?

Google Maps makes the hole look completely different. The first penalty area, while it does come into play, isn't really across the whole fairway like the picture above makes it out to be.

Based off the photo above, I'm going 3i, 3i, 3i, 56*

Based off Google Maps, I'm going D, 4i, 8i

Put myself down for a 7 at the tee box. Enjoy a beer as I walk the hole and move straight to the next tee box.

Driver, then hope to carry that water on the 2nd, then hit it as far as I could, then figure out what to do from there. At 840 this honestly might be a par 7 for me.

I would go 4i driving iron, 4i driving iron, 4i driving iron which would take me to about 650 yards, and then I would go 6i if i was in a good lie, or 7i if I had a bit of trouble, hope for some helping wind, and chip up the remainder for a shot at par.

And if all of that happened, i would never shut up about it.

Pfffftttt I go driver then one put.

(because...interweb golfer)

Play This Hole

@golfinnut claims to have made an eagle on this hole.

I say he’s FOS, but he should tell his story anyway.

840 yards and looks like the last 600+ yards are steeply uphill. Add in 3 water hazards and par 6 won't be enough unless I 1 putt or hole out a chip. No specific idea on how I'd attack it. But I'd likely play it poorly enough to require going to plans B,C,D, ..., when plan A inevitably unravels.

Back