radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
How long does it typically take my brethren from up North to get their game back after a long winter layoff?

In the past, I've gone out and played relatively well right off the bat. At least I hit good shots and just had to work on my touch.

This year, I've played twice and hit the range twice. I have just the absolute worst case of the shanks. When I do make contact it's heel side and moving right. After the first round, I figured I'd just shake the rust. After two range sessions and another round under the belt, I'm afraid it's going to take more than just repetitions.

Aside from venting, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this buzzsaw. A lower handicap player that just seemed to forget how to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How long does it typically take my brethren from up North to get their game back after a long winter layoff?

In the past, I've gone out and played relatively well right off the bat. At least I hit good shots and just had to work on my touch.

This year, I've played twice and hit the range twice. I have just the absolute worst case of the shanks. When I do make contact it's heel side and moving right. After the first round, I figured I'd just shake the rust. After two range sessions and another round under the belt, I'm afraid it's going to take more than just repetitions.

Aside from venting, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this buzzsaw. A lower handicap player that just seemed to forget how to play.

90fbb7646cf572702456b46be97b5a14.gif

You basically just described me to a T unfortunately. It’s no longer rust, it’s a problem.

In the past I would take the winter off and not swing a club and usually came out firing on all cylinders. Evidently that break would get rid of my bad habits.

The last couple of years though I've played sim golf and come out playing like crap, this season is no exception. Now it's usually 4-5 rounds until things get going in the right direction.

In the past I would take the winter off and not swing a club and usually came out firing on all cylinders. Evidently that break would get rid of my bad habits.

The last couple of years though I've played sim golf and come out playing like crap, this season is no exception. Now it's usually 4-5 rounds until things get going in the right direction.

+1
e.png

3 rounds, two range sessions and the swing is beginning to take shape.

You've been hitting up golf addiction down there? I think it has ingrained some bad habits. Here, I could line up left, swing as hard as I could and it would go straight. Lining up square almost feels weird to me now.

90fbb7646cf572702456b46be97b5a14.gif

You basically just described me to a T unfortunately. It’s no longer rust, it’s a problem.
Lol, I'm afraid of that!

You've been hitting up golf addiction down there? I think it has ingrained some bad habits. Here, I could line up left, swing as hard as I could and it would go straight. Lining up square almost feels weird to me now.

I've been going to our Great Life simulators that we have. They are even less accurate than Golf Addiction and the overhead net is lower than Golf Addiction so my high finish with driver occasionally hits the net and messes with me. I love being able to swing during the winter but I completely agree, I think I build up some bad habits.

I’ve got 4 rounds plus several range sessions in and I think I’m feeling pretty good. Granted, I have a lot to improve on in general, but that first day on the range I was afraid for the safety of the people to my right with the shanks. Haha. It’s a process but I feel much more confident today than I did 6 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been going to our Great Life simulators that we have. They are even less accurate than Golf Addiction and the overhead net is lower than Golf Addiction so my high finish with driver occasionally hits the net and messes with me. I love being able to swing during the winter but I completely agree, I think I build up some bad habits.

We used to have an indoor range here. It blew down a few times before they pulled the plug. Golf addiction pretty much had a perfect storm to be the defacto indoor facility. Apparently we just don't have the golfing population to support both. It's nice to swing in general in the winter, but maximizing your scores there cause some bad habits to form in real life.

Typically 3-5 rounds for me. Also depends how many range sessions I get it. My last round was pretty good and it was my third of the season and I've gone to the range once.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Seems to vary year to year. I've had years where I top and chunk for 3-5 rounds and it's completely miserable, and I've had years where I come out playing great and it's like I never stopped. This year is right in that middle ground. Playing well enough to get by, but there is some slop mixed in as well that I'm hoping to shake in the next few weeks.

Definitely takes me 4 to 5 rounds to knock off the rust. I have played 2 so far and they were ok, the main issues were my iron striking.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

It doesnt take long to shake off the rust, usually. For me, it takes 2-3 rounds and Im pretty well back into form. What takes me the longest is getting my short game touch back. Full swing is usually fine but getting a feel for chips and putts takes a little while.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just so beside myself on my next step. I can keep trying to force the issue hoping to find resolution or seek professional advise. The season is just oh so short that I don't know if I have it in me to grind through it at this point. I was, in my mind, a little consistency away from being damn near scratch, that I don't know if I can mentally scrap it all and try to rebuild from the ground up.

I've just never started more discouraged than I am now. I managed an eagle today and am finding no solace in it. It was a short par 4 with a helping wind. I hit my 3 wood so far off the heel that it had no choice than to fade back. Got a lucky kick and ended up just off the green. I had no business being in that position.

I followed it up with a hosel rocket on the next hole and a triple bogey. Next hole I hit the driver off the heel again. Proceeded to hosel rocket my approach OB. Dropped, hoselled the next shot and got another triple. I've just lost all feel for where the club is during the swing. I scraped together a +6 on the front and shot a +9 on the back. By the end, I was so tentative that I could hardly take the club back.

It doesnt take long to shake off the rust, usually. For me, it takes 2-3 rounds and Im pretty well back into form. What takes me the longest is getting my short game touch back. Full swing is usually fine but getting a feel for chips and putts takes a little while.
That was me up until this season. I may miss my shot, but it's not by much. Around the greens I struggled but did enough to get by.

I’ve gone to the range about 10 times and played 4 rounds thus far and I’d say I’m getting there. It’s usually the 8th or 9th round where I say ok time to play some good golf...so for me should be about mid-May to end of May.

I have been somewhat of a train wreck so far this season. I did a ton of winter training & simulator work, but I am playing like crap. I think I put a lot of pressure on myself and now it has morphed into a confidence issue. I scheduled a lesson for next week.

It usually takes me a good 3-4 range sessions plus a few rounds on course to really come into my swing. My biggest issue isn't solid contact but swing path for a while after a layoff - the first few tee shots could literally be anywhere.

Chipping in the front yard I find is a great way to get the short game touch back, and I get my short game back quicker than , 10-20 yard pitches are like a mini swing, good for proprioception.

I have been somewhat of a train wreck so far this season. I did a ton of winter training & simulator work, but I am playing like crap. I think I put a lot of pressure on myself and now it has morphed into a confidence issue. I scheduled a lesson for next week.
I feel like that's one of the missing puzzle pieces for me. No local instructor that I've had past success with. Admittedly, I've not had a lot of lessons. But, the pros at our courses are really only working with beginners from what I've seen. In the lessons I have had, I've not gotten a lot of info from. The private course pros are $100-$150, which is a little steep considering it'll probably take a few sessions to work through. Not that it's not worth it. Just don't know that I want to go down that expensive rabbit hole without knowing.

It usually takes me a good 3-4 range sessions plus a few rounds on course to really come into my swing. My biggest issue isn't solid contact but swing path for a while after a layoff - the first few tee shots could literally be anywhere.

Chipping in the front yard I find is a great way to get the short game touch back, and I get my short game back quicker than , 10-20 yard pitches are like a mini swing, good for proprioception.
That's probably where a guy should start. Work your way into full shots. Around the green has actually been better than usual for me. Once I get into a full wrist hinge things go south.

I’ve been doing the winter layoff pretty much for 4-5 months every year since I started 40 years ago. It takes me 2-3 weeks to get into mid-season form. Normally my full swing is fine and I’ll hit almost the normal amount of greens my first round or two but my touch is not there on or around the greens. We started playing a few weeks ago here but had a snow storm shut us down - my club opened last Friday. Today I was zero for five getting up and down from 5-15 yards off the green. I got four of my chips within 5-8 feet but missed all four of the putts. 13 missed birdie putts today(1 made) for a 3 over round. Tomorrow will be better!

Different every year for me, sometimes I start back like I never quit playing and sometimes it feels like I should quit playing lol.

Different every year for me, sometimes I start back like I never quit playing and sometimes it feels like I should quit playing lol.
Lol, that I can relate to.

Oh this game. I went from ready to throw in the towel yesterday to frantically working on my transition last night trying to figure out my issue. I think I have it diagnosed and will try to hit the range today or tomorrow to confirm. Just a mental mess.

Back