So Cobra F9 One length irons - who has gamed them? (or F8s)

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
And for those who have gamed them, what's your experience. How long did it take for you to get used to them? I don't think I'll have a problem getting used to the everything is a 7 iron experience. What I'm talking about is the club carry distances. Is there much difference? What did you have to adjust if anything?

So Cobra F9 One length irons - who has gamed them? (or F8s)

And for those who have gamed them, what's your experience. How long did it take for you to get used to them? I don't think I'll have a problem getting used to the everything is a 7 iron experience. What I'm talking about is the club carry distances. Is there much difference? What did you have to adjust if anything?

Just started playing them at the beginning of this year...

It took me one full range session to get used to them...about halfway through I finally started committing and by the end it was 2nd nature. My suggestion for the 1st session is two fold: don’t look at the number on the bottom of the club (why do you need to they are all the same length) and little extra weight on the front foot.

Carry distance wise I’m still finding my smart distances with them over the course of my rounds but I’ve found them to be similar to the VL clubs that I was previously playing. If anything I’m about a 1/2 club longer than where I was at previously. The Cobra clubs come with Arcoss so you can use that tech ( or Game Golf/Shotscope) to nail down fully accurate numbers.

Adjustments? For me it’s been adjusting to finally having some consistency in my irons. I don’t get nervous standing over a 4i or worry about that 6i that I’ve not been able to hit over the last 2 years. Step up and put a nice smooth swing on the ball and smile.

I had been contemplating OL for several seasons and this year I finally jumped in with both feet. I switched from Cobra F6 vl with Recoil shafts. They were the best irons I've played...for my game. As much as I like them, I felt like I lacked consistency at times and OL would help with that.

From all of my research, reading, asking questions I decided to go with F9 OL this season. Being that OL is only 3 generations old for Cobra the difference between F7 to F8 to F9 seems to be pretty big between each. Gapping and ball flight especially at each end of the set has been improved so much.

I've played 5 rounds this season with literally no range time. My chunks of good swing times has been getting bigger, but the winter rust is certainly not gone yet. I can tell you that gapping is consistent through the set for me. The long irons are certainly easier to hit, so much less intimidating....this from a guy that prefers a 4 iron to a hybrid. I really haven't noticed a big difference in shaft length in the short irons. In a way I think starting my season OL and not touching a VL club probably has been a big help as the shaft length just seems natural at address, not odd at all. Now, I am one that is not at all skeptical of the OL concept and what it can offer.

Distance wise it's a little hard to tell between the rust and the fact that it's just been squishy wet in my area since the season began for me. 9 iron and wedges have been about normal for me so far, at least with my current early swing. I've seen some longer distances on well struck balls on 4-8 irons according to Arccos with a few (for me) really long 6 and 4 irons. I suspect as I come into form this will become more the norm. I can say that these F9 heads are really good. I've had numerous shots that I know I missed and while I was left or right of my target I lost less distance than expected. I've been surprised more that once ending up pin high on green misses.

The F9 OL are very nice. Love mine. Switched from F7 OL, and Cobra has done a great job at improving the OL concept on each new release. The F9 have different weighted shafts throughout the set. The only issue I had was the length was crazy on the irons with kbs tour 90, but dispersion was bad. I switched them to the kbs tour 105 and that setup works great.

Paging @phoffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to OL a little over a year ago, starting with the F8s and now I've moved to the F9s. Physical adjustment was about 1 range session. Mental adjustment was the 2 weeks I researched and then awaited delivery. Mental buy in is by far the most important aspect. If you trust it, it will pay off.

As for differences and carry distances, they seem about the same as everything else I've played. The F9s are longer than the F8s, but still gap nicely for me.

If you can, I would test out various shafts offered. The stock shaft on the F8s worked for me but I didn't get along with the stock (steel) shaft for F9s. I settled on stock graphite and absolutely love them.

Fwiw, I don't foresee myself ever going back to traditional length. Golf has been far more fun the last year and it's hugely attributable to going OL.

The biggest problem with my game is my back. I'm tall. The shorter the club the greater the spine angle the more pain over time. Consequently my game 120 yds and in sucks because I hate to practice it. I'd rather hit my long irons and driver on the range all day.

My clubs w/ graphite shaft are fit +1" length 2 degree upright. I hit my current 7 iron and 8 iron well. I have a lot of confidence with my 6 iron and 5 hybrid. But from my 9 iron and shorter I start getting pulls and shanks.

When I tried the OL in the shop, I warmed up with my current 7 iron and was hitting decently after about 5 shots. They didn't have a +1 length shaft so I tried the standard. Still the carry distances blew me away, but that could have been the lighter SW (D0 with the standard graphite). So my set will be D6 like my current set.

Onto the test.

My current 7 iron carry 151 to 155 yds. One Length 155 yds. A few outliers of 160 (clean) and 145 (a little heavy).
One Length Gap Wedge - 105 yds carry - no problems hitting it. I just committed to it being a 7 iron.
24 degree Hybrid - 185 yd carry. It looked like a junior club, but it's a 7 iron.
21 degree Hybrid - 175 yd carry.

Problem - I forward press with irons, so that 21 degree is probably playing more like an 17 degree and at that length I don't have the club head speed to get it in the air. But 185 carry for the 24 degree hybrid is good. If I need more than 185 yd carry I'll hit my 7W.

I ordered a 24 Hybrid since I play a 24 hybrid now, 6i - GW + a SW. I use my current LW for bunkers in F9 One Length Graphite.

The rest of my bag: Callaway Epic Driver; Epic 3+ FW; Cobra BioCell 7W; Odyssey 2 ball Tank Versa 40" putter. I'll keep my BioCell 4i around for a driving iron.

I really like my F8 One Length. I didn't play much golf for many years, and decided to go one length for consistency as I got back into it last fall. Tested the FMax, F8 and F Tour. Tested various shafts and grip sizes. Wound up with a set I hit straight with good spin and ball flight characteristics.

Interesting that the F9 went to lighter shafts and wider soles in the 4-6i. When building my F8OL set, I used graphite in my 4-6 irons, and weighted the bottom of the heads to normalize swing weight. I did this to improve peak height in those irons. For 7-GW, I used the regular steel shafts.

I went OL last year with my Morgan Cup set and I have no plans to go back to standard length irons.

I know I say it over and over but IF you decide to go OL you need to "Go all in" I don't think you can try it out without buying in to the concept.
It took me 2 rounds to adjust with 5-PW it took me about 5-6 rounds to adjust to the Wedges.

JMHO and YMMV

I picked them up today. They come with a 60 day trial so we'll see how it goes. 24H - SW. I still have my old LW and kept my old 4i in the bag. I took them to the launch monitor to get my carry distances with them and there were a lot of mishits. It's not that I'm not buying into the everything's a 7 iron concept, it's that there's a lot of rust and I hit a lot of balls. I had some flyers that I took out, and some duffs I also took out.

Carry distances:

24H - 160 to 169 yds
6i - 160 yds to 169.
7i - 150 yds to 155.
8i - 140 yds to 144.
9i - 132 yds
P - 123 yds
G - 105 yds
S - 95 yds
L - 85 yds (BioCell)

Two things bother me: the gap between the P and the G and the 24H and the 6i. This will take getting used to. It could be mishits, too. I was fatigued when I hit the 24 H. I'll try them on the course tomorrow and see how it goes.

I don't play a hybrid, but I can tell you in my experience the longer irons tend to play pretty long. There is only a degree and a half between your hybrid loft and 6 iron and that may explain it.

My set runs up to 4 iron and I had to swap out my fairways to adjust the gapping because of the 4 iron length on well struck balls. I haven't noticed a larger gap between wedges other than I've hit a few pop ups with my GW out of thick rough.

I'll put my BioCell 5 hybrid in the bag tomorrow to compare. If there's no one behind me I'll hit a second ball with it on the par 5s.

Not a bad idea. Give it some time. Once the rust is gone and you begin striking the ball more consistent you may find a distance increase across the set, especially as you get further towards the long irons. These F9 heads are pretty darn good.

Really appreciating the feedback in here guys!

OL have been on my mind for ages, its just a matter of testing, committing, and pulling the trigger on the set.

Have you had any difficulties, or has it been easier, in situations like greenside bump and runs? Thinking it could really simplify things if you just had your little swing to get things going (that remained constant, and just the head choice would determine rollout.

OL have been on my mind for ages, its just a matter of testing, committing, and pulling the trigger on the set.

Have you had any difficulties, or has it been easier, in situations like greenside bump and runs? Thinking it could really simplify things if you just had your little swing to get things going (that remained constant, and just the head choice would determine rollout.

I really like how comfortable my wedges feel because everything is so similar.

No difficulties at all. Long irons are definitely easier to hit. I still carry 2 standard length wedges for my 2 most lofted wedges so greenside play hasn't changed much. I do chip from the fringe at times with my OL and no issues there at all, but that's more or less a putter stroke.

Even just in my searches today I pondered a set of FMax One that is up on ebay. Stupid One Length stuck in my head!

I am in serious ponder mode concerning OL irons. I played one round last season with F8 OL, but didn't care for the longer wedges. However, I do remember how freaking awesome the OL 4 hybrid was, and that I had no fear hitting the OL 4h or 5 iron. Honestly, I could see myself gaming OL 4-PW, and sticking with my CBX wedges. I still have a few weeks of surgical recovery to decide.

Last edited:
I am in serious pondering mode concerning OL irons. I played one round last season with F8 OL, but didn't care for the longer wedges. However, the do remember how freaking awesome the OL 4 hybrid was, and that I had no fear hitting the OL 4h or 5 iron. Honestly, I could see myself gaming OL 4-PW, and sticking with my CBX wedges. I still have a few weeks of surgical recovery to decide.

You let me know any time and you can test drive my bag or the OL F8s I previously gamed. Or even just see them in person before you're able to play again

Last edited:
You let me know any time and you can test drive my bag or the OL F8s I previously gamed. Or even just see them in person before you're able to play again
Thanks! I'll be getting in touch with you shortly to try out the F8 irons. Did you have graphite shafts in those as well?

Thanks! I'll be getting in touch with you shortly to try out the F8 irons. Did you have graphite shafts in those as well?

No, the F8s have the stock steel shaft (Flighted True Temper XP 90). I also have a OL 56* Black wedge with DG S400 paired with the F8s. Everything I have across both sets is stiff flex as well btw.

I was going to play a round this afternoon, but thought better of it and went to the range. I hit 110 balls. 15 driver - and my driver swing sucks right now. But I watched a couple of videos about where to play the ball in your stance and how far apart to place your feet when playing these clubs. I thought one of the problems might be the grips. It wasn't. It's rust. I need more time. I like the set. The irons.....

I am not convinced about the hybrid. I may end up getting a 5 iron and using the hybrid for bump and runs around the green. I think that's what I was thinking about when I got the hybrid in the first place. More like a utility club for tough lies and as a chipper.

I was happy that I can choke down and hit my low 45 yd pitch with the SW without a problem. Knockdown shots are an integral part of my game.

For anyone who might be interested in going One Length, I put a complete Cobra F9 One Length iron and hybrid set up for sale in the Marketplace forum yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a FTB OL, I thought I would throw in a few comments.

I've never really had issues finding "straight" with my irons, but I agree with people saying that these clubs are consistent however there are a few things I want to add.

1) You really need a fitting with one lengths to get them optimally set up. I am one of those believers that it's the golfer's fault and not the club's fault, but I do think One length has much greater of an impact. My 5 iron mostly, but 6 iron at times were flat line drives without adding a bit more loft at impact. I think that was partially more of an issue with the FTB than it was one length as I've read the F9s really address this. It's still something you'll want to try out if at all possible. A FTB OL 5iron at 22 degrees loft just simply wasn't the same distance as my 22 degree F7 7-wood.

2) I'm not sure about the F9 One length hybrid but I had an F8 4h one length and it was very hard to hit. While I likely just never adapted to it, the rails are much more pronounced than that of the fairways or the other hybrids. I know the F9 hybrid head is larger, so they may have corrected this issue. It's just something to consider. That being said

3) the One length utility irons are fantastic and if you're ever seeing issues with some of the longer irons, I suggest trying them out. Plus they're just fun to hit.

All in all, I think that the one length works and I think every version of OL cobra provides is generally an improvement upon the last one. It just really comes down to testing them to see which set works best with your swing since each version tinkers with how they provide the one length concepts.

Also, I actually really love the One length wedges. I didn't have a lot of VL experience to mind the extra length and always choked down for chipping.

I’ve decided that next season I’m going to commit to OL. Our season here end next weekend but I’ve ordered a set at discount which will arrive soon and I will practice in the yard/indoors until next season starts

Back