Tyson Lamb putters.......

Tac852413

T.Cooper
Reaction score
Handicap
Again I have been looking at as many higher end putters as I can find. This Tyson Lamb designer seems to have a pricey putter. The articles I read about his company and the product seem to be more positive than negative. Has anyone been able to actually use one of these putters on a golf course? If so I'm curious to know how it preformed. To me these Tyson Lamb putters resemble a Scotty Cameron and a Ping putter quite a bit.

Again I have been looking at as many higher end putters as I can find. This Tyson Lamb designer seems to have a pricey putter. The articles I read about his company and the product seem to be more positive than negative. Has anyone been able to actually use one of these putters on a golf course? If so I'm curious to know how it preformed. To me these Tyson Lamb putters resemble a Scotty Cameron and a Ping putter quite a bit.
There's a few guys here who own them. But with all putters to each their own. Lamb is nothing more than a wannabe with expensive machines. If you want craftsmanship without the hype, you'd be better off going with a different independent maker. There are a lot of them out there.

Posted by my thumbs.

Tyson Lamb putters.......

paging @armygolf and @LB44

Last edited:
@armygolf

There's a few guys here who own them. But with all putters to each their own. Lamb is nothing more than a wannabe with expensive machines. If you want craftsmanship without the hype, you'd be better off going with a different independent maker. There are a lot of them out there.

Posted by my thumbs.

What's your opinion about the Scotty Cameron tour only putters?

What's your opinion about the Scotty Cameron tour only putters?
Subdued.

I've owned a hundred of them over the years, but I can see most of them for what they are. Lamb rode in to the market on this new wave of hype. Cameron didn't do that. But I've stopped buying them over the last few years anyway.

I guess what I am trying to say is SC found a niche market of collectors that also enjoyed accessories. Lamb decided to capitalize on that concept (as have many others in recent years.) Despite what the cult of lamb says, he's and accessory maker first, and a putter maker second.

Scotty saw the writing on the wall and refocused his attention back to putters. That's where he's accomplished: Hundreds if not thousands of tour wins. That justifies a price tag in my opinion.

It's like a start up trying to compete with Ferrari's 60+ years of racing heritage by making a car just as expensive that simply goes fast. Those companies rarely last.

Now I'm rambling.

Posted by my thumbs.

Subdued.

I've owned a hundred of them over the years, but I can see most of them for what they are. Lamb rode in to the market on this new wave of hype. Cameron didn't do that. But I've stopped buying them over the last few years anyway.

I guess what I am trying to say is SC found a niche market of collectors that also enjoyed accessories. Lamb decided to capitalize on that concept (as have many others in recent years.) Despite what the cult of lamb says, he's and accessory maker first, and a putter maker second.

Scotty saw the writing on the wall and refocused his attention back to putters. That's where he's accomplished: Hundreds if not thousands of tour wins. That justifies a price tag in my opinion.

It's like a start up trying to compete with Ferrari's 60+ years of racing heritage by making a car just as expensive that simply goes fast. Those companies rarely last.

Now I'm rambling.

Posted by my thumbs.

Well I have been using my old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select putter for years and I have to say I do like it. Also I have been wondering if there is a big difference between the Tour Only SC puttere and the retail versions? I have used pretty much all of the different odyssey putters, aswell as many other more common putters, all ping putters aswell. I feel like I should step up and get a higher end putter.

Well I have been using my old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select putter for years and I have to say I do like it. Also I have been wondering if there is a big difference between the Tour Only SC puttere and the retail versions? I have used pretty much all of the different odyssey putters, aswell as many other more common putters, all ping putters aswell. I feel like I should step up and get a higher end putter.
There is a thread here somewhere on the differences between the tour sticks and the OTRs . It comes down to which model. Some tour models are virtually identical, while some have unique shapes and necks.

The discussion between sc and Odyssey, I think, comes down to whether you like a soft insert.

Posted by my thumbs.

There is a thread here somewhere on the differences between the tour sticks and the OTRs . It comes down to which model. Some tour models are virtually identical, while some have unique shapes and necks.

The discussion between sc and Odyssey, I think, comes down to whether you like a soft insert.

Posted by my thumbs.

I'll look for the thread. I'm on vacation this week and plan to lay around the house and figure out my putter situation. From what I have read about the retail SC and the OTR Scotty Cameron putters the differences are hardly noticeable to the every day golfer. Well other than the dollar amount differences. Either way I'm almost sure that the Scotty Cameron tour putter will be my next putter.

I've got a couple Lamb putters. I'd say I'm a fan of the brand but admittedly the brand is tough to put a finger on. In general though they are currently a pretty small family outfit. All my interactions with Tyson or Tana have been pleasant and positive.

First and foremost there isn't anything in the design of the putters that will enhance performance or make you a better putter. The putters are just the result of a creator doing his thing and are ultimately no different than any other piece of milled steel. You'll either like it or you won't.

511095ffc2224a75c187527bfa7c8ee3.jpg

I've got a couple Lamb putters. I'd say I'm a fan of the brand but admittedly the brand is tough to put a finger on. In general though they are currently a pretty small family outfit. All my interactions with Tyson or Tana have been pleasant and positive.

First and foremost there isn't anything in the design of the putters that will enhance performance or make you a better putter. The putters are just the result of a creator doing his thing and are ultimately no different than any other piece of milled steel. You'll either like it or you won't.

511095ffc2224a75c187527bfa7c8ee3.jpg

Give us a pic of the faces, brother. Aren't they a pretty shallow mill?

Give us a pic of the faces, brother. Aren't they a pretty shallow mill?
Yeah they are. IMO they have a really nice, crisp feel and are extremely responsive.
bea2d3d0df9b98ee2c4459c1b43ab8cf.jpg
33235dbb9b1180926f146f25022377b8.jpg

Both of those putters look nice. I understand if you aren't able to put w a $30 putter that spending a few thousand dollars isn't going to change the fact that you can't put. So from the information I have read recently, the main difference between the retail versions and tour only Scotty Cameron putters is the dollar amount. So spending the money for a "Tour/Custom " putter is mainly based on your own personal preference. To me all of these putters resemble each other in one way or the other. I have a nice driver and 3 wood, along with a pretty nice set of irons, so why not have a nice putter to go along with everything else? I'm going to continue to read up on the most popular custom putters just for understanding and product knowledge. Plus I have a few more days of vacation from work this week and don't have any thing else to do. Thanks to everyone who added their input to this topic. I'm still going to be a Scotty Cameron person for a little while longer.

I'll throw a couple more pics up
8c0cb0637ff95412a56c4d2dc8dd9a66.jpg
cf6aec5b833cfdf987e073b5686afb71.jpg
3cbbd9ed39e7d8342a716f83c6c7cde9.jpg
e570e972bacf7df9a690bc89f4d6cac8.jpg
2e7fd745c26c4d00dc3c52da04d187f4.jpg
a2a4587d530a52d37b88c234c508617f.jpg
6f6af22139ad73cdee5bc2705225a548.jpg

@armygolf that rise & grind putter is so good.

I agree. Armygolf, thank you for sharing those pictures.

Tac852413, I'm new to this paradise like yourself, but I've seen pictures of pmm21's drawer and projects. A lot of the members know more than I do, so keep asking and take some reassurance in that.
Crafted/custom putters are a game in itself. So little can mean so much, and that is why you or we pay. I've dabbled with the Toulon Garage, and that approaches my breaking point on the ladder.

It is not often a putter maker would sit down and build your putter. I would not spend 4k to have a putter worth 4k. Stamping, color fill, (customizing) is a nice option but that doesn't change the bones.

Before you get too deep, I'm just going to re-suggest searching out a fitter. (Edel, Betti, Some putter lab/studio) Even if you end up with a Circle T copy of the Studio Select you're gaming now, it should give you piece of mind.
I say that, because I see you doing the research.

Last edited:
seconded.
Thanks guys. I like my "Rise & Grind" Allendale much more than the F-Bombs one, despite F Bombs being worth far more.
R&G has always been a motto of mine and being able to personally select the stamping like I was obviously makes it more special.

I love Tyson's style on all of this stuff, and good on him for getting what he is. I just personally don't see myself dropping that much anytime soon on a putter. I am toying with making an upgrade to a milled putter, but $1000+ is a bit rich for me.

They are pretty though.

Back