Wilson Staff D7 Fairway Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good stuff @Molten. I have never heard the term D player before, sounds like that could be a lot of us haha. Wilson has done a great job with this design, the red IMO looked cheap to me. While I'm not comparing the two I will say that much like Mizuno went away from the blue I think the choice to go away from the red to this look was a smart one. At that price I think it should hopefully do well for Wilson in this category especially if people see numbers like you mentioned.

Great write up! Did you find the D7 to be overly draw biased & does it sit very closed at address like the old d-line up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the approximate weight of the Helium shaft in this? I'm looking at one for my son. He's got the 50 something gram Elements Chrome shafts in his D350 irons/hybrids and I want to make sure this is pretty similar.

Great write up! Did you find the D7 to be overly draw biased & does it sit very closed at address like the old d-line up?

It may sit a bit closed but nothing that I think would stand out in the marketplace.

As for draw biased, my results didn’t show it as overly draw biased. My miss is a massive hook but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. On the course I was seeing it start and end about where other fairways would. If you are asking about the technical design, I’m not sure.

Good stuff @Molten. I have never heard the term D player before, sounds like that could be a lot of us haha. Wilson has done a great job with this design, the red IMO looked cheap to me. While I'm not comparing the two I will say that much like Mizuno went away from the blue I think the choice to go away from the red to this look was a smart one. At that price I think it should hopefully do well for Wilson in this category especially if people see numbers like you mentioned.

I was floored by the numbers. If you haven’t followed the D7 thread, I’ve already declared a bag battle that I never, ever expected. Off the tee this baby is long.

What's the approximate weight of the Helium shaft in this? I'm looking at one for my son. He's got the 50 something gram Elements Chrome shafts in his D350 irons/hybrids and I want to make sure this is pretty similar.

Because it is bonded, I can't get that information from a scale but it should be in the 50s. The driver shaft at 45'' is 59 grams (and lesser flexes would be lighter too) so this should be below that.

It may sit a bit closed but nothing that I think would stand out in the marketplace.

As for draw biased, my results didn’t show it as overly draw biased. My miss is a massive hook but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. On the course I was seeing it start and end about where other fairways would. If you are asking about the technical design, I’m not sure.

That’s good to hear! I still have a d100 5 wood from back in the day, and it’s a slice killer. Sits very closed, and I have to try hard to not move the ball right to left. I was planning on ordering a set of G410 woods, but will at least give these a test before pulling the trigger.

I hit one of these at my “fitting” and was blown away. It was almost as long as my driver and dead straight. I was going to pick up the 3 & 5 until I got picked for the Hogan Event.

I hit one of these at my “fitting” and was blown away. It was almost as long as my driver and dead straight. I was going to pick up the 3 & 5 until I got picked for the Hogan Event.

I’m not surprised to hear it was almost as long as your driver. I was seeing pretty similar results when I gave it a full swing.

Has anyone hit the hybrid. I wasnt sure I liked the head shape. I hope to see them at a shop in later Burlington NC today. I also plan to hit the C300 Hybrid since they are on closeout.

Has anyone hit the hybrid. I wasnt sure I liked the head shape. I hope to see them at a shop in later Burlington NC today. I also plan to hit the C300 Hybrid since they are on closeout.

I hit it also and the C300. The D7 feels, sounds, and looks more like a small fw. The C300 is smaller and sounds and feels more solid. The D7 was longer and the C300 was more accurate, though not by much. I’d pick the D7 all day long since that club would be more for distance than accuracy for me. FWIW, they were both stock so it wasn’t an apples to apples comparison.

Great review Molten. I like that they cleaned up the head and are offering this in a D1 SW.

Enjoyed reading that the easy swings gave you easy distance, but speeds increased when you stepped on it.

Another great offering from Wilson.

Great review Molten. I like that they cleaned up the head and are offering this in a D1 SW.

Enjoyed reading that the easy swings gave you easy distance, but speeds increased when you stepped on it.

Another great offering from Wilson.

silly question, but wouldn't you come to expect that?

My son tested several 3 woods this past weekend and ultimately ended up ordering the D7 3 wood (15*) with the Helium shaft in stiff. The regular was too light for his comfort and didn't improve launch conditions. The 18* 5W didn't make much of a difference in launch conditions either, but was shorter and travelled the same distance as his D350 4 hybrid. He learned that he doesn't have enough club head speed just yet to get great launch conditions hitting it off the turf, but off a small tee he was getting great results with spin around 3k and carry around 210 yards. Most of the brands produced similar numbers for him. However, he was spending his Christmas/Birthday money on this and didn't see any added value in the price difference between the D7 and the others he tried that were all $299+.

Q5ZmYWg.jpg

sckP3cz.jpg

We ordered my son’s D7 3 wood Sunday evening and it arrived today. The shaft shows 59 grams (stiff) so it matches the specs on the UST website. I wasn’t sure since they do some made-for shafts for W/S. It came out to D2 swing weight.

I will work on getting it to my son’s specs this weekend (-1/2”, swing weight roughly C9, and an undersized Tour Velvet grip). It’s supposed to rain here most of this weekend so it probably won’t be until next week before he gets some time on the course with it. He carries his driver mid 230’s and typically sees around 250 total, so he could use something a little shorter on some of the tight short par 4’s from the front tees.

silly question, but wouldn't you come to expect that?

I was seeing speeds that I couldn’t get with other fairway woods when I tried to get after it. I was also seeing sprayed shots from the turf, but that’s an inditement of my swing more than the club.

Q5ZmYWg.jpg

sckP3cz.jpg

We ordered my son’s D7 3 wood Sunday evening and it arrived today. The shaft shows 59 grams (stiff) so it matches the specs on the UST website. I wasn’t sure since they do some made-for shafts for W/S. It came out to D2 swing weight.

I will work on getting it to my son’s specs this weekend (-1/2”, swing weight roughly C9, and an undersized Tour Velvet grip). It’s supposed to rain here most of this weekend so it probably won’t be until next week before he gets some time on the course with it. He carries his driver mid 230’s and typically sees around 250 total, so he could use something a little shorter on some of the tight short par 4’s from the front tees.

Your son sounds like a heck of a player (or player in the making). The D7 should fit the bill off the tee. I’m surprised to hear that the regular was too light but the stiff wasn’t. I don’t recall there being much of a weight change.

Your son sounds like a heck of a player (or player in the making). The D7 should fit the bill off the tee. I’m surprised to hear that the regular was too light but the stiff wasn’t. I don’t recall there being much of a weight change.

There really wasn’t much difference between the Reg and Stiff. He hit both and preferred the stiff.

ETA: It looks like there is almost no difference between the R, S, or X.

https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/helium/helium-wood/

I didn’t hit them though, so I just took his word for it. I doubt there was even a difference he could have felt from the near 0* difference in torque. Maybe the shafts kick point or balance was what he felt?

Last edited:
My son has had his D7 3 wood for about a month now and is very happy with it. It's become his fairway finder on tighter holes and his go to tee club on shorter par 4's.

If you are in the market for a light weight 3 wood, this one deserves a look.

Back