Might go check a 3W+ out this weekend. Just think this would be a good experiment. I am pretty accurate with my driver but I would take more accuracy if I can get it. I carry a 3W (15 degree) and am good with it, just wonder if I could get more distance with the 3+.
Great input guys.

Might go check a 3W+ out this weekend. Just think this would be a good experiment. I am pretty accurate with my driver but I would take more accuracy if I can get it. I carry a 3W (15 degree) and am good with it, just wonder if I could get more distance with the 3+.
Great input guys.

Forgive the dumb question, but would a significant increase in distance require a drop down to driver-esque lofts? I would surmise you are looking for 15-20 yards, or more, in distance gains?

Forgive the dumb question, but would a significant increase in distance require a drop down to driver-esque lofts? I would surmise you are looking for 15-20 yards, or more, in distance gains?

Yes I would be looking for more distance from a 3+ over my regular 3W. I am usually pretty close to 9-12 fairways a round and my misses are close to the fairway. But, on days where it is bad I will and have used my 3W for the rest of the round. I am generally pretty accurate with my 3W off the tee or the deck so that part doesn't bother me.

Well, I used to hit a 13.5 degree Cobra BioCell 3W which I could hit but I didn't use it often enough - I traded it in along with other clubs on a new driver............ Last year I bought a Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3+ which can go to 13.5 degrees but I played it at 15.5 because it had a stiff shaft, something alien to me. Today, with a 75g Aldila Trinity shaft in A flex on it that I had laying around, I tried it in the 13.5 degree position and we did not get along at all. I was spraying it all over the driving range. I went inside and adjusted it back to 15.5 degrees and suddenly the ball went straight again. I don't know what it was. Spin? And I talked with a low handicapper I know there who also had one and he had the same issue with his. I should have kept that old Cobra.

So if you're going to a strong 3W try out various brands and don't overlook Cobra.

All of this 3+ talk is making me ponder the upcoming Taylor Made Original One release.

I've used a strong three wood a lot over the past year plus. The only time I didn't was when I used a 4 wood running a single fairway setup.

The big thing for me is gapping between my 3 and 5 wood. For dropping my driver, I've never pulled it from the bag but there have been many rounds where I relied on my 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee to put me in the short stuff. Right now I'm running a 2 driver setup so im not afraid to try different ideas.

Days like today where I went 11/14 FIRs I don't really think about this much. The misses where one I sliced and the wind just carried it way far right OB. The other two misses where right but within 5 yards of fairway. So not terrible misses, but misses that where playable. On a different course maybe they wouldn't have been.

From the Distance event By Srixon I chose a 3+ instead of a standard 3W. Couple of thoughts behind me going with this was the 13.5* loft for a little lower ball flight than a normal 3W, and for tighter holes where driver can get into trouble and if it’s a decent par 4 in length, not sacrificing a ton of length. The Srixon 3W+ hits it a long ways and accomplishes exactly what I was hoping for in it. Into the green it still holds well and is still easy to hit off the deck. It’s a fun club that gives you options.

I have one in my bag. I never use it off the tee. If driver is risky, 3w+ is even more so. I’ll just hit 4i if that’s the case. But..... it’s a useful club for me to round out the top of the bag. It’s a punch out or “gee, I mishit driver so I need to get close to the green on this par 4” type club. I can count on it to hit low bullets if I have any sort of a lie at all.

I'm happy with my 3w+ being my tee club, especially after trying out 2 different drivers (my two playing partners - Ping G25 + Titelist 913(?) something) yesterday on the course (it was very early and dead quiet) - both times, Driver was an unplayable slice, followed by my 3w+ going pretty much where I'm aiming, and ending up around the 225-235 mark, in cold, damp and soft conditions.

Good enough for me, especially as I don't do well trying to swing faster/harder, so I'll take what I can and so far this gives me the best balance of distance and playability. Leaving the ineffective driver out also allows me to keep the 17° 2h in for low tee shots, punches etc.

Appreciate it won't work for everyone, but it works for me :good:

I'm happy with my 3w+ being my tee club, especially after trying out 2 different drivers (my two playing partners - Ping G25 + Titelist 913(?) something) yesterday on the course (it was very early and dead quiet) - both times, Driver was an unplayable slice, followed by my 3w+ going pretty much where I'm aiming, and ending up around the 225-235 mark, in cold, damp and soft conditions.

Good enough for me, especially as I don't do well trying to swing faster/harder, so I'll take what I can and so far this gives me the best balance of distance and playability. Leaving the ineffective driver out also allows me to keep the 17° 2h in for low tee shots, punches etc.

Appreciate it won't work for everyone, but it works for me :good:

So what do you think is the big difference between the two? Is it just looking down at driver and thinking, "oh this is not gonna be good" ?

So what do you think is the big difference between the two? Is it just looking down at driver and thinking, "oh this is not gonna be good" ?

Honestly - I haven't got a Scooby. I drove a cracker on the previous hole, so my tee mojo was good, hence why I said "let me try now".

What felt like a good swing just went way right - got to be an unconscious delivery quirk that I'm just not feeling. My oppos said it didn't look like I was swinging too fast or too much effort, but it was just horrific.

I've made peace with my fundamental awfulness.

But to come back to the point of the thread, a good 3w+ is a handy thing to have and can cover a multitude of sins, IMO.

Honestly - I haven't got a Scooby. I drove a cracker on the previous hole, so my tee mojo was good, hence why I said "let me try now".

What felt like a good swing just went way right - got to be an unconscious delivery quirk that I'm just not feeling. My oppos said it didn't look like I was swinging too fast or too much effort, but it was just horrific.

I am nowhere near being knowledgeable about this stuff, but maybe there is something in the make-up of the club that just doesn't suit you? Having watched a number of TXG videos on YT and especially one of the latest driver videos (Ping G410 fitting video), it was apparent that Matt could feel the differences between shafts and subsequently it affected how he was able to deliver the club

Maybe you have that same issue in that whatever setup you were hitting just didn't feel right for you?

Thanks, I know when mine will go right, shortened follow thru and not getting my hips started to turn will get me a big fade or slice every time.

Ordered a Srixon 3W+ today. Let the experiment begin, looking forward to this one.

Ordered a Srixon 3W+ today. Let the experiment begin, looking forward to this one.

Looking forward to your results. I have been loving the standard F85. I can get quite a pop off the tee. I kinda wished I would’ve gotten the 3+ myself.

Looking forward to your results. I have been loving the standard F85. I can get quite a pop off the tee. I kinda wished I would’ve gotten the 3+ myself.

I really like both the regular 3 and 5 that I have. I think I can swap out the 3 and 3+ depending on course I'm playing and the conditions. Looking forward to trying it off the deck also.

Yep gonna put some work in this weekend.
d3484de723d95f7d1155529663c889a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have had this 3w+ out for a couple rounds now. So far the results have been good. Easy to hit off the deck and no problems off the tee.

Back