Charleston SC golf for bachelor party

BL

Reaction score
Handicap
Short game
I've been put in charge of setting up the golfing for a friend's bachelor party in Charleston in early October. I've never been so I'm looking for help picking the two courses. We'd like to play somewhere within 30ish minutes of downtown Charleston. There will be approx 20 of us. Upper end limit on greens fees is ~$150/person all in.

Any recommendations?

@papajohick , please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Papajohick should be able to sort you out, he was an awesome tour guide and resource when we were there for the gathering in March.

Oh ya! Your price range is easy haha.

What are the skill levels of your players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ya! Your price range is easy haha.

What are the skill levels of your players?

Big spread. But, being selfish, I'd rather cater to the lower caps than pick a less interesting course.

I haven't lived in Charleston in awhile but my common courses I played were Charleston National, Wild Dunes, and Patriots Point. All of them are in Mt. Pleasant since I lived there which is right over the Ravenel bridge from downtown.

Big spread. But, being selfish, I'd rather cater to the lower caps than pick a less interesting course.

I would look into Patriots point, shadow moss, rivertowne, and wescott. Now wescott might be outside that 30 minute window but it’s a decent course and isn’t pricey.

Rivertowne might be close to that time limit but it’s fun and a great layout.

Dunes west is another good option but their conditions vary so much it’s hit or miss. Shadow moss is ok. It’s priced cheaply, decent layout. Just not a phenomenal course.

I would look into Patriots point, shadow moss, rivertowne, and wescott. Now wescott might be outside that 30 minute window but it’s a decent course and isn’t pricey.

Rivertowne might be close to that time limit but it’s fun and a great layout.

Dunes west is another good option but their conditions vary so much it’s hit or miss. Shadow moss is ok. It’s priced cheaply, decent layout. Just not a phenomenal course.

Dunes West when I lived in Park West was always nice, crazy to hear their conditions aren't the best always.

This advice request just made me smile. Having worked and been at golfing bachelor parties it brought back memories.
Weddings too.

bluemojo.png

Just have fun, but not too much...

Dunes West when I lived in Park West was always nice, crazy to hear their conditions aren't the best always.

I just checked out their website and got this:
Special Discounted Rate April 20th – April 28, 2019 due to work being done on the greens. Play for $49 + tax.

Special Discounted Rate April 29th – August 15th, 2019 due to playing on TEMPORARY GREENS while we change the grass from Bermuda to Paspalum on the putting surface. Play for $25 + tax.

So hopefully they're addressing the issues.

I live in Columbia and golf A LOT in Charleston.

Give Dunes West and Rivertowne on Mt Pleasant a try. They across the highway from each other
Patroit's Point is nice
Kiawah Island is about 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic Osprey is great there,

In Oct the rates should be great but call ahead and tell the proshop you are traveling a party and see if can get deals

Just a heads up about Patriots Point, its on the water so if it's windy it gets crazy.

Just a heads up about Patriots Point, its on the water so if it's windy it gets crazy.

I looked up their website and the course looks gorgeous. And $89 seemed real reasonable

I looked up their website and the course looks gorgeous. And $89 seemed real reasonable

It is awesome. Also if you are in the Dunes West/RiverTowne course area Charleston National is right across Hwy17 from Park West/Dunes West and I always enjoyed it. @PapaJohick may be better suited to talk about it as I haven't played it in years, but it ran along the marsh and was always an awesome time. October rate should be probably 60-65 a round I know after September the rates drop.

http://www.charlestonnationalgolf.com/

Yes sadly enough apparently they’re going to be closing somewhat soon to fix Every green.

papajohic, myself, and pjleduc played it in March and it was awesome. The wind didn't bother me as much as the bumps in the fairway. Relentless. Overall, I really enjoyed the course. There were times were you had room to miss, and some holes where you had to be spot on. The view was beautiful.

Charleston National is a phenomenal place to play. It is very tough though for people who may not be as well adapted to the game ha ha. You need to be able to hit a good ball off the tea and you’re putting needs to be above average

Special Discounted Rate April 20th – April 28, 2019 due to work being done on the greens. Play for $49 + tax.

Special Discounted Rate April 29th – August 15th, 2019 due to playing on TEMPORARY GREENS while we change the grass from Bermuda to Paspalum on the putting surface. Play for $25 + tax.

So hopefully they're addressing the issues.

Unfortunately while I love the type of grass they’re changing to, that’s not their issue. The issue is they need a new superintendent. They always blame bad conditions on the recent winter or weather. But if you go just down the road to charleston National or other courses the conditions are just fine.

Charleston National is a phenomenal place to play. It is very tough though for people who may not be as well adapted to the game ha ha. You need to be able to hit a good ball off the tea and you’re putting needs to be above average

My first apartment ever with a roommate in Mt. Pleasant was in Charleston National(think they are condo now), and they used to give us the VIP rates for living there used to play it all the time. This was early 2000's. Used to love that course and used to hit balls every day living there.

Yes sadly enough apparently they’re going to be closing somewhat soon to fix Every green.

So hopefully they're addressing the issues and it'll be perfect by October

My first apartment ever with a roommate in Mt. Pleasant was in Charleston National(think they are condo now), and they used to give us the VIP rates for living there used to play it all the time. This was early 2000's. Used to love that course and used to hit balls every day living there.

I get the VIP membership every year because of their fantastic deal it is. It’s such a good course I love playing it.

I've been put in charge of setting up the golfing for a friend's bachelor party in Charleston in early October. I've never been so I'm looking for help picking the two courses. We'd like to play somewhere within 30ish minutes of downtown Charleston. There will be approx 20 of us. Upper end limit on greens fees is ~$150/person all in.

Any recommendations?

It's my opinion that Patriots Pointe is drastically overrated. You get a cool view of the harbor for a few holes, but the rest of the course doesn't offer much in terms of identity, aesthetics, or challenge.. Vastly overpriced for what you get.

I love Stono Ferry. It's probably 35-40 minutes from downtown, but very affordable. Beautiful course right on the river and marsh on the site of an old Revolutionary War battlefield. Very cool experience, and again, far under what you're willing to spend. Always in the top 10 courses in SC list year in and year out. See gallery on the website: https://stonoferrygolf.com/golf-course/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/0 (scroll down, below scorecard)

Dunes West and Rivertowne have been mentioned, and both are great from what I've heard. Never played these personally, althought I've done a lot of fishing around the channels and canals throughout Wild Dunes, and the course really looks gorgeous. Always been on my to-play list.

Wild card - If you want an affordable extra round if you have time, Crowfield Plantation in Goose Creek is a fun challenge. Very pretty course, lots of different landscapes and challenges throughout. Fun test for $40 or less typically. Very well kept. I play here regularly when I visit family in the area. #18 is one of my favorite holes anywhere.

Y'all are going to have a blast. I went to Charleston for my bachelor party 5 years ago, and we had the time of our lives. No doubt y'all will too!

Last edited:

So hopefully they're addressing the issues and it'll be perfect by October

Hopefully by October yes their greens are what they should be. I’m not sure if you have ever played a course that has redone the greens, but typically even once they open back up the greens are still very iffy when it comes to consistency.

It is a good golf course. Lovely to the eye. Good for all skill levels. I just wouldn’t take the chance to play it with some of the issues I have been seeing/hearing about the course as of late

If you don’t mind driving a bit then yes Stono is legit. I love that dang course. Just don’t know if it’s in your distance range haha. Crowfield is good value. A little ways away and depending on time of day traffic can suck. Although if you rent a bus or driver then it’ll be a fun ride haha

My votes go to Dunes, Stono Ferry and Charleston National in that order. In my opinion SF and Dunes are the best visually. CN has a few challenging holes and a few straightforward holes. For a larger group, Wescott Plantation has a nice bar, and 27 holes.

I have planned 3 golf trips to Charleston in the past 5 years.

Wild Dunes - Links Course is the best in the area in your budget. I would vote Rivertowne, Stono Ferry, and Wild Dunes - Harbor Course next.

Patriots Point and Dunes West are fine, but both can have condition issues.

Back