Question about Driver vs 3-Wood Shafts

TrojanMan

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm wondering how you guys set up your driver vs 3-wood, in terms of shaft profile.

I was fitted in the Tensei AV Blue 75-S shaft in my Flash SZ driver. And so far, it's giving me mostly good results.

Last week, my 3-wood shaft snapped on the course. So I ended up getting a Flash SZ 3-wood with the same Tensei AV Blue 75-S. I've only taken one swing on the course, and maybe 20 on the range with it so far, so it's an admittedly small sample size. But it feels really loose/whippy, relative to my driver. Seems odd to me, since they're the same shaft.

Thus my question.....
Do you guys play the same (or very similar shafts) in your drivers and 3-woods? Do you purposely play one that feels a little more stout in the 3-wood? Or some different setup entirely?

I'm wondering how you guys set up your driver vs 3-wood, in terms of shaft profile.

I was fitted in the Tensei AV Blue 75-S shaft in my Flash SZ driver. And so far, it's giving me mostly good results.

Last week, my 3-wood shaft snapped on the course. So I ended up getting a Flash SZ 3-wood with the same Tensei AV Blue 75-S. I've only taken one swing on the course, and maybe 20 on the range with it so far, so it's an admittedly small sample size. But it feels really loose/whippy, relative to my driver. Seems odd to me, since they're the same shaft.

Thus my question.....
Do you guys play the same (or very similar shafts) in your drivers and 3-woods? Do you purposely play one that feels a little more stout in the 3-wood? Or some different setup entirely?

some questions for real gear heads but, my take... Same shaft, even if tipped another 1/2" to an 1" will probably play softer since it is what, 2-3" shorter in playing length? I also don't know the actual weights on them, but I think the 3W would be lighter than the driver... could be wrong on that.

As for how you want it set up, depends on if you hit your FW off a tee vs off the deck more predominantly. If it is off the tee mostly, a similar profile makes sense I think, if you are mostly off the fairway (like I am) you might want something different since you are expecting 1 to hit up off a tee and the other to sweep or even be negative AOA off the deck.

I always went with lighter to heavier in terms of my bag, Driver 60g, fws 70g, hybrid 80g, irons 90-100g. But in my fitting I got fit into 65g or so in driver and fairways, 85g in hybrid and 110 in irons. So really depends on the swing I guess.

Ideally, the 3-wood would be used for both tee shots and off the deck. If I had to choose one, I suppose I would say off the tee more often.

I previously had 65g driver shaft, 75g 3-wood, and 85g hybrids. But when I did the latest driver fitting, I hit the 75g shaft better. That's why, at least for now, those two are the same weight.

Question about Driver vs 3-Wood Shafts

Ideally, the 3-wood would be used for both tee shots and off the deck. If I had to choose one, I suppose I would say off the tee more often.

I previously had 65g driver shaft, 75g 3-wood, and 85g hybrids. But when I did the latest driver fitting, I hit the 75g shaft better. That's why, at least for now, those two are the same weight.

I’ve heard that a general rule of thumb (which means it can probably be broken) is to step up 10g as you go from driver on to fw on to hybrids, so your previous experience makes sense.

Not sure about this, but headweight will typically increase from driver to fw, so I can see the same shaft feeling a little more loose and light in the fw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back