Woodworking / Furniture Building

Yeah I see they have on in Rockville here. I will be checking it out. Can stand the big box stores for tools. 95% crap

Yeah I see they have on in Rockville here. I will be checking it out. Can stand the big box stores for tools. 95% crap

No argument there. You might also check out Fries, Beall, and Sharp in Lorton, if you get down that far. They're more machinery focused but still a good browse.

I'm guessing it's this one - going by his profile location.
Yes, sorry that's the one. I literally bolted after I wrote my last reply. Went to play. That woodcraft is next door to golf galaxy. I walk out of one and into the other. Both dangerous stores:act-up:

I think they are based out of PA. I don't know if they have stores out of state. They do have pretty big tent sale events. Since you are neighbors, it may not be that far of a trip for you.

Based out of good old Springfield, MO. They do semi annual sales there that are crazy. If I had the space I could go nuts in their Springfield store.

Based out of good old Springfield, MO. They do semi annual sales there that are crazy. If I had the space I could go nuts in their Springfield store.

I will outfit my shop with a bunch of there stuff when that time comes.

Sometimes a solid machine can be found on craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to get an 8" spiral jointer from them. I'm surprised more manufacturers don't utilize that tech.

I'd love to get an 8" spiral jointer from them. I'm surprised more manufacturers don't utilize that tech.

Does your planer already have a spiral head?

Does your planer already have a spiral head?
No, both my planer and jointer are standard 3 blade drums. I am pretty sure I could upgrade, I think Grizzly will fit Delta, would just have to change out the pillow blocks as well. I really should have gotten a 8" jointer from the start. I really can't use my jointer to face plane like your supposed to, I just rely on hand picking rough cut lumber that isn't twisted and run it right through the planer. I've seen jigs that allow you to face joint with a router, but that's too much extra work I'm not willing to do. For a really twisted board, I run through my drum sander, it takes a long time, but some boards are worth it if they are short enough. Sorry for the long response to a simple question. Tangent time.

I've got a buddy that started out making tables and such on the side but it's to the point now that he's close to doing it full time.
Check out his Hand Hammered Industries page on facebook if you have a few minutes to kill.

No, both my planer and jointer are standard 3 blade drums. I am pretty sure I could upgrade, I think Grizzly will fit Delta, would just have to change out the pillow blocks as well. I really should have gotten a 8" jointer from the start. I really can't use my jointer to face plane like your supposed to, I just rely on hand picking rough cut lumber that isn't twisted and run it right through the planer. I've seen jigs that allow you to face joint with a router, but that's too much extra work I'm not willing to do. For a really twisted board, I run through my drum sander, it takes a long time, but some boards are worth it if they are short enough. Sorry for the long response to a simple question. Tangent time.

You can always use a bigger jointer. You can also use the planer with a sled and shim the low spots to flatten your first face. Might be quicker than the drum sander.

As for the spiral I think you can get a Byrd that is a direct swap with bearings installed already. But it might be even money and no work to just sell your current rig and buy a new Grizz.

You can always use a bigger jointer. You can also use the planer with a sled and shim the low spots to flatten your first face. Might be quicker than the drum sander.

As for the spiral I think you can get a Byrd that is a direct swap with bearings installed already. But it might be even money and no work to just sell your current rig and buy a new Grizz.

I tried the sled thing, it didn't work too well. By the time I was done my 1 1/4" board was 1/2". Made some nice boxes with it though. I don't think I would get rid of the 6", It's part of a series Delta doesn't carry anymore. I'd just keep it set up for edge work. I just don't have room for 2 jointers right now. One day......

There's always room for the old fashioned kind:

421046_xl.jpg

Who wants to buy a raffle ticket?

287d57be57045df386585ee7ade95278.jpg

335c839460513b722d21903ea8c558e1.jpg

That came out great dude. Love the multiple grain patterns on the top. It looks chaotic in a good way.

That came out great dude. Love the multiple grain patterns on the top. It looks chaotic in a good way.

Still needs a bit more finishing. I didn't have time to do the whole schedule before taking it to the relay dinner.

Nice work!

It's time I tackle my whiskey cabinet think I will be using Curly Quartersawn white oak as it seams very fitting for the project. Now to come up with a design, which is gonna be the hard part.

Beginner here just replaced the top on our kitchen table.

33ac3b63d6cb3ecc5ec0fe31f155669a.jpg

Appears you did a fine job

Beginner here just replaced the top on our kitchen table.

33ac3b63d6cb3ecc5ec0fe31f155669a.jpg

I always liked the rustic look of a pine table top. Well done.

Woodworking / Furniture Building

Very rough sketch of the whiskey cabinet I'm gonna build. It'll be made from quartersawn curly white oak, door panels will be punched copper
5aa74a69925f720bb80cef674ed9a4df.jpg

Very rough sketch of the whiskey cabinet I'm gonna build. It'll be made from quartersawn curly white oak, door panels will be punched copper
5aa74a69925f720bb80cef674ed9a4df.jpg

Looks cool. You punching the copper yourself? I did it on tin for 2 doors on a hutch I built for the wife. She keeps potatoes and onions in there, works out well. Fun but tedious project. Very rewarding though.

Back