TaylorMade M2 Irons Preview

Well I made a big mistake today, I hit the M2 Tour irons on the range. WOW WOW WOW, these are a fun iron to hit. They seem to have the same level of forgiveness as the Apex CF16's though they were longer (for me). The CF16's win in the feel department, all day however. For those looking to save a few hundred bucks or for TM loyalists these could be a solid option, I came away very impressed.

Good thoughts. I definitely am going to hit them this weekend. They just came out for sale today. All the reviews I have watched/heard have been very positive. Cant wait.

Took a few swings tonight with these at DSG just to get a feel for them, decent weighting and felt nice. I looked at them side by side with the Speedblades (which I have in my bad right now) and they set up a lot the same to my eye. I'd really like to spend some decent time with them.

Took a few swings tonight with these at DSG just to get a feel for them, decent weighting and felt nice. I looked at them side by side with the Speedblades (which I have in my bad right now) and they set up a lot the same to my eye. I'd really like to spend some decent time with them.

The Speedblades and I never got along, as much as I tried, ultimately with me it's about sole and shaft. Thinner the sole and the right shaft weighting and I can dial them in. The XP95's pair very nicely with the M2 Tour head. Headed out to the range in a few hours after it warms up a bit to try them out some more.

I'd love to hit the tours at some point, need to make that happen somehow.

Going for an iron fitting on April 2nd. Really, really hope they have the M2 Tours in. I want to try these real bad.

m2 tour 5 iron to 2 feet

67dfce58dd835b7f969113abb276d070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shot NoLine. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Good first run with the M2 Tour's. Very forgiving across the face, mid high ball flight, above average distance. I really like the smaller profile and thinner sole, feel like I can go after the ball more aggressively with these heads without risk of over cooking the shot.

The forgiveness was rewarded with great dispersion and minimal distance lost. I found them to be slightly more forgiving then the CF16's but that is only based on one round.

Looking forward to continuing to try these out. Great having these and the CF16's to alternate between. Really helps that they have the same shaft - makes the switching easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried out the regular M2's today. Performance was really good. Despite the cranked lofts, was still getting a very nice mid-high flight (I'm a bit of a lower ball hitter). I compared them to my RSI1, and they were about the same height, but was getting around 2-3 more ballspeed with the 6 and 7 irons between them. One area where I think they missed the boat is on the sound/feel. They are loud and feel hard. Remind me more of the rocketbladez in that regard than the speedblades and the RSI. Think it was a step backwards in that department for them. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I care way more about performance, but think its an area TM really needs to improve.

Tried out the regular M2's today. Performance was really good. Despite the cranked lofts, was still getting a very nice mid-high flight (I'm a bit of a lower ball hitter). I compared them to my RSI1, and they were about the same height, but was getting around 2-3 more ballspeed with the 6 and 7 irons between them. One area where I think they missed the boat is on the sound/feel. They are loud and feel hard. Remind me more of the rocketbladez in that regard than the speedblades and the RSI. Think it was a step backwards in that department for them. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I care way more about performance, but think its an area TM really needs to improve.
Boy I hate reading that. I had started pondering these irons yesterday very hard. But I had the RocketBladez and quit playing them after the test period for that very reason, the sound. I know some people said it wasn't loud. And I believe it may have been TM's first set with the Speed Slot, so I had hoped they had improved the sound on that technology since. I had not heard any other comments about it in the irons since then.

So these will definitely have to be hit before I make any firm decision.

Boy I hate reading that. I had started pondering these irons yesterday very hard. But I had the RocketBladez and quit playing them after the test period for that very reason, the sound. I know some people said it wasn't loud. And I believe it may have been TM's first set with the Speed Slot, so I had hoped they had improved the sound on that technology since. I had not heard any other comments about it in the irons since then.

So these will definitely have to be hit before I make any firm decision.

Well sound/feel is always a subjective thing, and I was hitting range balls which doesnt help, but I was also going back and forth between my RSI1 and the M2, and to me, the M2s were definitely louder and felt harder. Playing a softer ball would definitely help I think. And for me, performance trumps all, and they performed well. But the sound to me, needs to be improved. Not sure why it didnt sound more like the RSI or speedblade.

Went to Golfsmith today to demo some irons. I'm going for an iron fitting and want to get some swings in with the current irons. Was hoping to hit the M2 Tours but they didn't have them available to demo so I hit the M2's. I came away very impressed with these. I hit the M2's, CF 16's, D200's, King F6's and the Psi's and the M2's and and CF 16's were the 2 clear cut winners. The M2's were very forgiving, launched the ball easily and gave me great distance and dispersion numbers. They don't feel quite as nice as the CF 16's (expected) but they didn't feel harsh. I still want to hit the M2 Tour's but I have to say I'm very impressed with this line of irons TaylorMade has put out. It is a very strong possibility the M2 or M2 Tours are in the bag this year. It's probably going to come down to the price of the M2's (around $300 cheaper) vs. the amazing feel of the CF 16's.

I compared these side by side with the Tour variant and I could NOT see a difference. I compared the 6 irons and pitching wedges.

I compared these side by side with the Tour variant and I could NOT see a difference. I compared the 6 irons and pitching wedges.

Did you hit them both or was this just based on looks? Golfsmith did have the Tours available to buy so I was able to compare side by side and looks wise the Tours were only slightly smaller.

Did you hit them both or was this just based on looks? Golfsmith did have the Tours available to buy so I was able to compare side by side and looks wise the Tours were only slightly smaller.

Based on looks only.

whats longer the m2's or rsi1's?

For me, the M2's were a bit longer, but they are also stronger lofts. So they should be.

Well sound/feel is always a subjective thing, and I was hitting range balls which doesnt help, but I was also going back and forth between my RSI1 and the M2, and to me, the M2s were definitely louder and felt harder. Playing a softer ball would definitely help I think. And for me, performance trumps all, and they performed well. But the sound to me, needs to be improved. Not sure why it didnt sound more like the RSI or speedblade.

Hit them again today. Still really liked the performance. Following up on my sound/feel opinion, I think it comes from the speed pocket. The other irons felt fine, but the speed pocket ones felt hard again, especially on mishits. Again, just my own opinion and sound/feel always subjective. I like everything else about them. Look good, perform great.

Hit them again today. Still really liked the performance. Following up on my sound/feel opinion, I think it comes from the speed pocket. The other irons felt fine, but the speed pocket ones felt hard again, especially on mishits. Again, just my own opinion and sound/feel always subjective. I like everything else about them. Look good, perform great.
Yep, that was my experience with the RocketBladez and the speed pocket irons. Especially the 4 and 5, seemed to sound very hollow and loud.

I've had the opposite reaction with the M2's with the speed pocket irons feeling better then the non-pocket. Admittedly it's tough to discuss feel in these though after hitting the CF16's, that's a tale of two cities.

Buddy and I played a few rounds with these tours feel good, m2 regular are longer in the stiff feel good good distance but I hit the same as my 2014 apex, but regular m2 irons it felt like a trampoline the ball coming off and they was longer than anything else we hit, I'm not sure how they be all the time distance control, but all three felt good, their are fun to hit,

Noline, any more rounds under your belt with the M2 Tours? How they comparing to the CF16's?

I saw Canes blast the 6i Demo that was sent to him. High, straight and Long

Noline, any more rounds under your belt with the M2 Tours? How they comparing to the CF16's?

Sorry Stan - didn't see this - I've been playing the CF16's somewhat exclusively but plan on putting the tours in play on Friday. Now the somewhat part, I've been using the M2 Tour 7 iron in my bag and have been liking the performance. There is a slight difference in turf interaction between the 2 clubs and if you come in shallow, like I do, I believe a minor edge goes to the M2T's. I'll try and post up some thoughts by the end of the week.

Back