Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge Review

I've had these back in the bag for the past few rounds, and I'm convinced there's no better wedge for me around the green. I don't know if it's the profile, or the weighting, but I'm more confident with these on those half pitches and chips than I have been with any other club.

After months of hesitation to pull the trigger, I finally decided to do it: I’m buying a RTX 2.0 wedge set today.

As a lefty, I have one issue: They only sell them in 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 degrees in Europe, they don't go any lower. As my PW is only 44*, the gap is too big IMO, so when I talked to the pro yesterday he suggested to bend the 52 to 50, and the 56 to 55 to "equalize" the gaps. Bending them sounds a bit scary to me, but I don’t have any experience with it. Has anyone adjusted the lofts as well?

And I’m planning to get the 2-dot bounce; how much will the bending affect the bounce? Is it as simple as removing 1* of loft equals adding 1* of bounce and vice versa?
Why not get your set gap wedge then go from there with your loft selections with the Clevelands?

Why not get your set gap wedge then go from there with your loft selections with the Clevelands?
I really prefer the spin of the "real" wedges, and for some reason I'm a lot more accurate with them. Another issue is there's not a left handed Cobra AMP (or AMP Cell) GW to be found in the continent of Europe.

The 54 3 dot is such a money club for me. Chipped in with it today and had a few others just inches from the cup. It's so versatile i love it
Ditto!

Love the 54 3 dot but I swear I hit my old (and now sold) Vokey SM4 58 (12) much better than the RTX 2.0 CB 58 1 dot (08) so I'll use it for the rest of this year - but going to 2 or 3 dot in January.

Just got a call from the store I ordered mine at, apparently Cleveland still hasn't delivered them... CG is saying high demand for LH heads leaves them without any stock. I was supposed to get them 2-3 weeks ago, and Cleveland is now saying it will take at least 7-14 days to get them to the store in the UK, where they will bend and regrip them. Then it will take another 3 days to get them to me in Holland.

Bummed out about it, as I have a tournament in less than 3 weeks on a course that will leave you with a lot of wedges in to the shallow greens. You really need some stopping power, and while my current wedges are not bad by any means, I expect the 2.0's to perform even better department. Even if I get them in time, I won't have a lot of time to dial in the distances...

Played the 54* in the bag for the first time in a while and I still say that this is the best wedge I have ever used.

Played the 54* in the bag for the first time in a while and I still say that this is the best wedge I have ever used.
Wow, now that's a bold statement.

Wow, now that's a bold statement.

I just got done testing out a few other brands latest releases and still always come back to these. They have the look, sound, feel and performance that I look for compared to every other one I tried. There are other great wedges too, but nothing I have tried compares to these as of yet.

I just got done testing out a few other brands latest releases and still always come back to these. They have the look, sound, feel and performance that I look for compared to every other one I tried. There are other great wedges too, but nothing I have tried compares to these as of yet.

interesting. i gave these a good year and had to move on. glad to know there's something out there for everyone.

Mind blowing statement there!

Good to hear.

I'm putting mine in the bag and having a serious wedge session and let the results speak for themselves v MD3's.

I enjoyed my time with these and need to hit them again

I have not even thought about shopping for wedges since putting these in the bag 14 months ago.

I have been playing the 50 and the 56 and they are really first wedge in a very very long time that I am fearless of hitting it fat. I love these and the distance control is spot on.

I really enjoyed the 60* out of the sand today. It has been raining a lot and the sand was definitely compacted. I've had trouble with these conditions with my prior wedges where the club seems to bounce off the sand and I skulled the ball. I was 3 for 3 today from varying distances. The ball came out with nice trajectory, stopping quickly twice and rolling out once. Another time I was able to hit a nice flop shot downhill over a bunker to a short sided pin. The ball stopped immediately, leaving a very makable putt. I haven't gotten completely used to these wedges on full shots - I see irregular distances, which may be me making inconsistent contact - but I sure do love them around the greens.

I put my wedges from the Up & Down event back in my bag for fun and really had one of my best short game rounds in some time. I love the heft from the head and the sole was perfect for my shots.

Went to a demo day and ordered Ping Glides in 54 WS and 58 SS, but they barely edged out, in order, the 588 RTX 2.0 CB, Vokey SM6, and MD3. How close was it? The MD3 58-08 C Grind did everything I asked so well that I actually went inside to buy/order two until I found out I could not get the C grind in a 54, and the other options (S, W) just would not work for me. The CBs were awesome on full shots - stupid automatic, point-and-shoot, easy to hit, which is something I cannot say truthfully about anything I swing. On less than full shots - for me - they were less consistent than the Glides. Did not feel as nice as the others, but hardly unpleasant. I hit four very good clubs, and had I been in a hurry, hit only the 588s, SM6, or Glides, I would have been happy with the purchase. And I can see why the MD3 has so many fans too.

How much can these safely be bent?

How much can these safely be bent?

Soft metal and I asked Rob in the Tour Van during a changing of wedges for guys, and he said he has bent 4 degrees and thought he could do more with no issues. However at that point, you are really changing the dynamics of the rest of the wedge, so recommended sticking to 2 degrees, or find the right loft in a different wedge.

I currently use a TM Tour Preferred 56 ATV wedge and it's the sketchiest club in my bag. About 30-40% of the shots go as expected and that percentage drops on tight lies. My eyes see a very sharp leading edge and that creates some tension when hitting off tight lies. I often use a 3/4 swing with my gap wedge when faced with a 70 yard shot from the fairway instead of hitting the 56. For the record, I like hitting the TM wedge from the rough and sand.

Yesterday was Demo Day at my club and I focused on wedges. I tried Callaway MD3, Titleist SM6 S grind, TaylorMade TP EF and Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 ** bounce. The MD3, SM6, and TP EF felt like a slightly improved version of my current wedge. The Cleveland booth was last on my list and I went there expecting a similar result to the other stops. The rep gave me a 54 ** and 56 **. I immediately liked the look of the club at set up. It's so easy to hit ball and then leave a shallow divot. Note: I'm more of a picker than a digger. Cleveland wedges are heavier so finding the bottom of the swing is natural. This lead to consistency which is the biggest difference when compared with the other clubs. For me, the yardage difference between the 54 and 56 was very minor. I was considering changing from 51/56 wedge setup to a 51/54/58. After the Cleveland test; my new set is 51/56/60.

Ping didn't have a booth at our Demo Day so I didn't test the Glides. Nike and Mizuno were there but I didn't test their wedges.

Last edited:
I try cleveland 588 rtx 2.0 cb version in the shop, and I think I like the feel and balance of cb version. I am thinking to get 50 degree and 56 degree. Well, let see.

I try cleveland 588 rtx 2.0 cb version in the shop, and I think I like the feel and balance of cb version. I am thinking to get 50 degree and 56 degree. Well, let see.

The CBs are fantastic, especially if you take a full swing with your wedge. I wanted an entire iron set of them.

I put my wedges from the Up & Down event back in my bag for fun and really had one of my best short game rounds in some time. I love the heft from the head and the sole was perfect for my shots.

To me what really makes these stand out is the balanced head weight. They are solid and heavy but in a good way- always allows you to know where the head is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played with mine for the first time yesterday. 52 and 56 degree blades, both with 2 dots. Absolutely love them. Just the right amount of bounce to allow me to play the shots I want. I'm able to play delicate pitch's with the 56 without any fear of the club digging into the turf. They replaced MD2's that didn't work for me at all.

Back