Regional Rivalry DMV vs Carolina's Practice Trip Weekend of April 23rd

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Don't know if I'm the right guy to do this but I'll try.

1. Please post in this thread if you're going (doesn't matter what side)!
2. Everyone's input on when they want to arrive, the 23rd is a Saturday but maybe some people want to get there early for a Friday afternoon round or stay for a Sunday round???
3. Is there someone local who can make golf reservations once we determine the when and how many?
4. Can a local recommend a reasonable Motel / hotel for those who will stay overnight?

I'm sure there are other issues but it's a start! Feel free to add more inputs to this. I think the number going and for how long is the most important issue because of the advanced reservations that will be required.

Thanks guys!!!

Update!!!!

Ok, A Summary of where I think we are at this point! Please correct anything that is wrong! Made a couple of corrections!!!

RNG In

CAA_Beat In

tbanks5 In

Mesaman777 In Volunteered to make course reservations (Thanks!!!)
TheCrest4 In
Diveguy IN

T2GRN18 In
huhhh In
BigBall In

So as of now, we are set for Saturday 4/23/16. First Tee time is 11:00am. Greens fee $59. Time is booked under Rychalski. Ry-chal-ski.

That gives us 9 people at the moment with a few that are still determining their availability. Most people don't seem to be into anything more than a one day expedition. Mesaman777 has stated he needs about 10 days to make the course reservations so that's how much time we have left to make additional changes!

Last edited:
I'm (98%) in for a Saturday round. Probably drive up and back same day.

just my opinon. But I think somewhere around 11:00 AM or 12:00 PM would be good. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from the Baltimore area, and I know some of the Carolina guys will have at least that if not more. That way, everyone can get an early start without having to leave in the middle of the night. And be home after dinner.

I wouldn't be staying over Friday or Saturday for the practice round, I'd be going down and back.

Would love to, but that's date night weekend with my wife (I buy her season passes to the local theater every year and that's the last show of the season). I would like to play RNK before July and I'm free just about every other Saturday save June 4th (wife's birthday) and June 11th (our anniversary). RNK is a 5 hour drive from my house, so whatever day I do it, it's going to be a really long day since I'll have to make it happen in a single day. Hit the road by 4, to course by 9:30 hopefully, round and then home before the roosters usher in Sunday. Will be worth it, but probably only do-able once so I'd like to meet up with THPers if possible.

Would love to, but that's date night weekend with my wife (I buy her season passes to the local theater every year and that's the last show of the season). I would like to play RNK before July and I'm free just about every other Saturday save June 4th (wife's birthday) and June 11th (our anniversary). RNK is a 5 hour drive from my house, so whatever day I do it, it's going to be a really long day since I'll have to make it happen in a single day. Hit the road by 4, to course by 9:30 hopefully, round and then home before the roosters usher in Sunday. Will be worth it, but probably only do-able once so I'd like to meet up with THPers if possible.

Deuce, I would be down to do the drive with you once I'm in NC and settled.

And just to be clear, I'm not opposed to a bit earlier start. I didn't know if the guys coming from Carolina, would rather leave at the crack of dawn and be home earlier or vice/versa. I'm sure I can make either work.

From my previous trip down, the closest nice major brand lodging is probably Williamsburg, about 35 minutes East. There are some around RIC airport, but the area isn't the best.

Crossing my fingers that I am back on the course by April 23rd, I really, really want to join in. April 22nd is my wedding anniversary, so I will definitely need to drive down the morning of the 23rd. I don't know why but it seems like a lot of golf outings have conflicted with my anniversary over the years. Whether I will stay over for a Sunday round is to be determined.

Crossing my fingers that I am back on the course by April 23rd, I really, really want to join in. April 22nd is my wedding anniversary, so I will definitely need to drive down the morning of the 23rd. I don't know why but it seems like a lot of golf outings have conflicted with my anniversary over the years. Whether I will stay over for a Sunday round is to be determined.
Are you sure your wife isn't making you celebrate it more than once a year? At your age, it would be easy for you to forget the date AND that you had just celebrated it the month before :D

I might be down at the beach house that weekend, so I might be able to swing that Saturday if nothing else is going on. It's only 1 hour from the house :bananadance:

And just to be clear, I'm not opposed to a bit earlier start. I didn't know if the guys coming from Carolina, would rather leave at the crack of dawn and be home earlier or vice/versa. I'm sure I can make either work.

From my previous trip down, the closest nice major brand lodging is probably Williamsburg, about 35 minutes East. There are some around RIC airport, but the area isn't the best.

IME, the lodging in the W'burg area "require" a two night reservation on weekends. I put that in quotes because I a) Don't know the full truth to that and b) never bothered challenging because I typically stay two nights anyway.

If you head east down 64, the first places to stay pop up in the Lightfoot/Pottery area. There might be something over toward West Point but it's probably owner/operator type stuff.

ETA: Option 3 might be to just take over Golfinnut's place :alien2:

Im in as of now, just need to confirm plans. I would say 1030-1200 would be a good start time.

I'm in. Once all of the particulars are settled, I will make arrangements with the course. Another Hotel option would be in Mechanicsville, which is N/W of RNK off of RT295. The guy's coming from the N will most likely pass by this area if taking 95s to 295s to 64e. If the guy's from the S don't mind an additional 15 min ride up 295n past 64, the lodging and location will probably be much more desirable than the RIC airport area.

Edit: There is also a lodging option on rt10 for the Carolina boys coming from the South up 295. This is about 15 South of rt64.

Last edited:
Oh I am in for this for sure.

Thanks for getting the thread started. 10 to 12 range works for me but I am flexible.

I'm in. Once all of the particulars are settled, I will make arrangements with the course. Another Hotel option would be in Mechanicsville, which is N/W of RNK off of RT295. The guy's coming from the N will most likely pass by this area if taking 95s to 295s to 64e. If the guy's from the S don't mind an additional 15 min ride up 295n past 64, the lodging and location will probably be much more desirable than the RIC airport area.
Thanks for metioning that. I passed that exit on my way home the day we played, after I checked out the RIC area. But it was already late enough and I didn't stop. But looked like some good options. That said, it seems to be every bit of 30 to 40 minutes from the course. Fro the actual tournament, with tee times starting at 8:00 AM, that's an early wake up call. But just not many other options.

I'm in, I'll be down the day of and not staying over night

I am 95% in. It's about an hour and a half for me so 10:30 to 12:00 is good.

Absolutely dude

IME, the lodging in the W'burg area "require" a two night reservation on weekends. I put that in quotes because I a) Don't know the full truth to that and b) never bothered challenging because I typically stay two nights anyway.

If you head east down 64, the first places to stay pop up in the Lightfoot/Pottery area. There might be something over toward West Point but it's probably owner/operator type stuff.

ETA: Option 3 might be to just take over Golfinnut's place :alien2:

Perhaps the "2 night" requirement may be some sort of "in season" thing after Memorial Day. which hopefully means "off season" rates as well. For the DMV players, an option may be to stay near my old junior high/ high school home in Henrico near the 295/95 intersection. A course called "The Crossing" is near there. While I have never played it, I have been told I should play a course called "The Independence". At the minimum, it would make the ride home shorter on Sunday.

Perhaps the "2 night" requirement may be some sort of "in season" thing after Memorial Day. which hopefully means "off season" rates as well. For the DMV players, an option may be to stay near my old junior high/ high school home in Henrico near the 295/95 intersection. A course called "The Crossing" is near there. While I have never played it, I have been told I should play a course called "The Independence". At the minimum, it would make the ride home shorter on Sunday.
Crossing is nice IMO, Independecne is nice as well, but it would be more for the NC/SC boys on the way home, as it's south of Richmond.

I'm in. May come down Friday, but I won't know that for sure for a while. A tee time closer to noon works best, ( If I don't make it down Friday. Probably have one of, if not the longest, ride of the DMV guys ) but I'll deal with whatever

Thanks for metioning that. I passed that exit on my way home the day we played, after I checked out the RIC area. But it was already late enough and I didn't stop. But looked like some good options. That said, it seems to be every bit of 30 to 40 minutes from the course. Fro the actual tournament, with tee times starting at 8:00 AM, that's an early wake up call. But just not many other options.
Your right Rob, not a lot of options east of 295 on 64 until you get closer to Williamsburg. I'm sure there are a few straggler hotels around though.

The crossings won't wow you, some nice holes but not memorable. Independence is a very nice track but not worth the money imo. It's the home of the virginia golf museum. Now Viniterra, which is a few miles west of RNK off 64 is a great Rees Jones course that I would play before independence all day long. It cuts through vineyards and forest, and you hardly see another golf hole other than the one your on. One of my favs.

Ok, A Summary of where I think we are at this point! Please correct anything that is wrong!

RNG In
dazeedmonds 98% In
CAA_Beat In
deuce Maybe
MBurnham In
UVaWahoo Maybe
Golfinut Maybe
JohnSinVa ???
Emart2173 In
Mesaman777 In Volunteered to make course reservations (Thanks!!!)
TheCrest4 In
Lightningbolt44 In
T2GRN18 In
huhhh 95%
BigBall In

That gives us 14 people at the moment with a few that are still determining their availability. Most people don't seem to be into anything more than a one day expedition. Mesaman777, how much advanced time will you need to make 4 tee times? How close to the date can we change as folks plans get firmed up?

Back