If you could be a professional golfer during a specific time period, what era would i

NoShanks

Grandaddy 19 Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
What era would it be in?

I personally would love to be a professional golfer during the Ben Hogan, Sam Snead and Arnold Palmer years.

How about you? What era would you like to play in?

Now. Partly because the money is so good for middle of the road players, that financial freedom offers a lot.
Although previous generations had a different level of bonds that are hard to beat.

I would agree with JB. You don't have to be a top 50 player in the world to earn a comfortable living. I would almost choose now. Do I have a criteria on how I would place on average? I can be a professional golfer who never earns a paycheck and that would stink given any time period. If I could earn a comfortable living and wouldn't have to consider finances nearly as much, I would maybe go back a few generations.

I grew up with the game in it's current state. So, going back to a time of balata's and persimmon's would be foreign to me. I also like how the game has evolved to be a little more inclusive in this day and age. I have always liked the story of the golfer who didn't grow up at the country club making an impact on the professional tours.

Now, for the money. But their is allure to some of the older tournaments like the Crosby, and the era that transitioned from Hogan and Snead to the years of Nicklaus, Palmer and Player.

I would agree with JB. You don't have to be a top 50 player in the world to earn a comfortable living. I would almost choose now. Do I have a criteria on how I would place on average? I can be a professional golfer who never earns a paycheck and that would stink given any time period. If I could earn a comfortable living and wouldn't have to consider finances nearly as much, I would maybe go back a few generations.

I grew up with the game in it's current state. So, going back to a time of balata's and persimmon's would be foreign to me. I also like how the game has evolved to be a little more inclusive in this day and age. I have always liked the story of the golfer who didn't grow up at the country club making an impact on the professional tours.

Crazy stat of the day.
The top 114 players from 2018 all earned more than 1 million before even getting to a single dollar in endorsements, tee up money, etc.

In 1984, the 50th ranked player made approximately 130k (315k or so with inflation) and the #1 ranked player made 475k.

Id still rather have played in Hogan's era. Money isnt everything.

My first thought is 2010-2013ish. Post Tiger money, but getting to #1 was very doable.

Now. 75th on the money list at the end of the year, couple top 5's, 8 to 10 top 10's * make 75% of the cut's per year.

Living the Dream.

Crazy stat of the day.
The top 114 players from 2018 all earned more than 1 million before even getting to a single dollar in endorsements, tee up money, etc.

In 1984, the 50th ranked player made approximately 130k (315k or so with inflation) and the #1 ranked player made 475k.

I'd take top 50 then and top 114 now :)

Could still keep my card at 114 and have enough money to stash away for retirement or invest in off the course ventures.

If we're talking just for the spirit of the game, I don't know. I think the players mentioned in the OP had careers that overlapped one another. I'd love to say that I'm nostalgic enough to choose an era spanning from the 60's-70's, but I don't know enough about the era having been an 80's child who didn't take notice of pro golf until David Duval and TW were battling for world #1.

Honestly, I think the last decade had brought about some compelling stories and competition. Tiger wasn't winning at a ridiculous rate so the doors were open for everyone else. A lot of good players emerged in that time. The money is good, the fields are competitive. Plus, I'd have a close up view of the resurrection of TW. Not that it's a deciding factor. Just a cool thought to play along side arguably the best player to ever pick up a club. Plus, some if the legends of years past were still involved for the most part. Would have been able to talk to Arnie up until a few years ago, or pick Jack Nicklaus' brain to this day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd pick now. The equipment, quality course conditions, purses and endorsement money...

My sentimental choice would be the early 90s though as that's when I started following the PGA. The big tournaments and stars just seemed magical to me back then.

For the love of golf, it would be the early 60s. To be able to compete with Jack at the beginning of his career, Arnie in his prime, and Hogan towards the end of his career would have been incredible. If it were just for the money, I'd say the last 5 - 10 years.

I think the 1960's, when the big three were playing well. Golf still didn't pay that great, but there were still a lot of characters on tour, side hustles took place...from what I've read, that was a really freewheeling time in the world of golf where really serious players and hustlers rubbed elbows. I can't imagine ever being good enough to scare Gary Player or Jack, but the idea that I could get paired with them and pilot that into some money makes me smile.

As others mentioned the money is way better right now, so are the courses, the gear, the science etc.. but I think I'd choose to go back far enough to have had the chance to know, practice, and play with Seve and Payne.

The current era would be fine for me, there’s so much money out there right now it’s not funny.

Its truly a no brainer.
Id like to be a tour pro in about 20 years...…...because that would mean Id be really young right now.

Instead of 54 Id be about 3 again :)

Now.
Money.
No balata golf balls.
Technology.
More opportunities off the tour.
Senior tour.
Course conditions.

Now. Kind of a no brainer with all the money in the game right now. Schedules are more flexible with so many more tournaments available and almost there’s so many people on tour right now that can win any given weekend. The PGA Tour is in great place right now.

Now because of the money but PGA Tour pros travel way too much for my liking. 30 years ago the time away from home wasn’t worth the money they were making, now I might be able to make the argument that it is. It’s also so tough to get on tour and stay there so I see it as a job with a lot of stress and time demands.

Now. Travel and money are too good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now. Money they makes means you can be a professional golfer and not have to have another job.

Now. Back in the 60s and 70s (and earlier) they drove between tournaments, no money to fly. They didn't have sponsor trucks to make sure your equipment was what you needed for the course. Now the economics of the tour work so much better for players.

97-now. I’d want to see Tiger at his best and making his comeback from inside the ropes.

At his best he was the most dominant golfer, ever, period.

Now making his comeback and winning The Masters again? I couldn’t even begin to imagine being in that final group with him. All the pain and suffering he’s been through (some self caused, but we all have demons). Overlooking that and beating the best on the planet, again, when it matters most?

I love Jack, he’s still the Goat until further notice. But Tiger has bridged gaps and made the game attract a totally different golfer than in the past. When he’s at his best, no one has a prayer. He’s by far the most dominant golfer of all time. Without life and health problems he’d be closing in on 30 majors.

I’d want to play this era just to watch him. That and the money is good now too (for the same reasons).

Back