OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
It works. I have some thoughts, but will wait a day or two to give Freddie time to respond.

Video wont load for me, I hit play and it just spins/spools.

Video wont load for me, I hit play and it just spins/spools.
Me too. And I'm on an Android and he's posting from a Google account (I think). Surprised it didn't work.

That should be better...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Almost 3 days and no comment, so I'll share my initial thought. He's too low and inside at the start of the back swing. That's leading to the slight over the top move during the transition and the reason the ball starts to the left. If he is fading the ball and plays it well, it may be worth leaving alone. But he's loosing power and distance because of it.

I would recommend having him feel like he's taking the club straight back a little longer at the start of the back swing. That will help put him in a better position at the top, which in turn, will limit or remove the over the top move in the transition and help him improve his start lines. It may help for him to "feel" like he's doing the opposite of what he's doing now. He's currently shallow to steep, and needs to feel like he goes from steep to shallow.

If he currently draws the ball, it will result in the ball ending closer to his intended target (and more distance overall). If he fades the ball, the ball will finish right of target but should be longer over all. His next step would be to work on grip and/or release to get the ball drawing, or adjust his intended start line if he wants to play a fade.

His short back swing and lack of wrist hinge is not necessarily a problem as there are plenty of tour players with a similar swing. Check out this video of Jon Rahm on his down the line swing and you can easily spot the similarities and differences between Rahm's and your son's swing.

watch

Back