OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
How is this even possible? I thought bidding was in increments of $0.50, $1, etc.
8f451e3a50b50290d2e1a52c72a078ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You got unlucky that he bid .01 more.

You got unlucky that he bid .01 more.
Yeah, I didn't think that was possible. I thought the bids were in increments.

I don't think that was a person. I think it was auto snipe. I was the high bidder with 4 seconds to go. That bid came in with 1 second to go.

I think it's because he set his snipe to be a lot higher but they probably just take enough to win? I think it did that whenever I would use e-snipe.

Some people don't like it, but when you know you aren't going to be around to bid at the end, it's a good tool. I don't ever bid until the end since I don't want any more people bidding early than is going to happen anyway. I don't want to start a bidding war early on.

I think it's because he set his snipe to be a lot higher but they probably just take enough to win? I think it did that whenever I would use e-snipe.

Some people don't like it, but when you know you aren't going to be around to bid at the end, it's a good tool. I don't ever bid until the end since I don't want any more people bidding early than is going to happen anyway. I don't want to start a bidding war early on.
Yeah, I know about the automated bidders, unjust thought it would still force the increment. I, too, think it's shady. I mean, it's not like you need to find a computer to bid. Who doesn't have a phone on them 24/7 nowadays?

I, too, think it's shady. I mean, it's not like you need to find a computer to bid. Who doesn't have a phone on them 24/7 nowadays?

Me, for one. About 11 hours a day at least 4 days a week.

Also handy for when the auction ends after you are in bed asleep.

with that kind of timing in play, it could very well be that you both put your bid in at the last moment and his happened to be higher, so he got the bump.

That's why I always go something weird like .57 or whatever.

with that kind of timing in play, it could very well be that you both put your bid in at the last moment and his happened to be higher, so he got the bump.

That's why I always go something weird like .57 or whatever.
Well, I used .01 to make it come out even after shipping. Again, I thought the bids had to be increments of at least $0.50 or it would be rejected.

Like this. I just bid $20.51 on this and my bid wasn't accepted.
9de1e57cd50405130df1fbd24972c127.jpg

But if you bid a maximum bid of 37.01 and someone bids 37.00 at the end, yours should beat that.

But I don't bid with maximum bid until the last few seconds if doimg it manually. But like I said before I don't have a problem using esnipe to make the same bid.

It's because the current bid was already $20.50 and the minimum bid increment is $.50.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I don't recall seeing a spot where you can set a minimum bid increment, and usually it's $.50 or $1.

There are plenty of paid snipes out there that can beat you by $0.01.

It’s annoying. But it happens.

It's because the current bid was already $20.50 and the minimum bid increment is $.50.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
So if he bid say $22.01, and eBay auto bid for him to $21.00 (minimum bid increment of $.50). Them someone bid $22.00 right at the end, would he still win it at $22.01?

eBay snipe?

So if he bid say $22.01, and eBay auto bid for him to $21.00 (minimum bid increment of $.50). Them someone bid $22.00 right at the end, would he still win it at $22.01?

That is correct. And the same goes if someone bids $22.02 in that situation at the end, they would overtake the $22.01 because the $22.02 bid is more than $0.50 over the current high bid of $21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBay snipe?

Minimum bid increments don’t apply to final bids when you are using eBay’s automatic bid system. If you tell eBay to bid automatically for you....with a cap set at $XX....the system will bid in $.50 increments on your behalf up to $XX. But eBay’s job is to maximize revenue for the seller while simultaneously minimizing cost for the buyer, so the rule doesn’t apply to final bids. The winner of the item was willing to pay an $.50 more than you, but that wasn’t necessary to beat you.....only a penny was necessary. The system knew you were maxed out at $122.01 and the other bidder at at least $122.50, so $122.02 wins it.

Minimum bid increments don’t apply to final bids when you are using eBay’s automatic bid system. If you tell eBay to bid automatically for you....with a cap set at $XX....the system will bid in $.50 increments on your behalf up to $XX. But eBay’s job is to maximize revenue for the seller while simultaneously minimizing cost for the buyer, so the rule doesn’t apply to final bids. The winner of the item was willing to pay an $.50 more than you, but that wasn’t necessary to beat you.....only a penny was necessary. The system knew you were maxed out at $122.01 and the other bidder at at least $122.50, so $122.02 wins it.

This exactly. I’ve bought many golf clubs on eBay with my max bid set 20% higher than the final price paid. It will bid a penny more than the 2nd place bid.

This has been a good education for me. Now I want to immediately apply what I've learned. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

eBay snipe?

Keep in mind that 3rd party sniping software is somewhat useless. eBay provides you with sniping software when you utilize their automatic bidding feature. These 3rd parties offer you no advantage that eBay doesn’t already give you.....for free. These software companies are trying to time the end of the auction to the nearest second. These 3rd parties are pro-active and decide when to submit the bid. The eBay automatic servers are reactive and will only bid on your behalf when someone else initiates the bid. They submit a bid before the eBay server can respond with an automatic bid. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that 3rd party sniping software is somewhat useless. eBay provides you with sniping software when you utilize their automatic bidding feature. These 3rd parties offer you no advantage that eBay doesn’t already give you.....for free. These software companies are trying to time the end of the auction to the nearest second. These 3rd parties are pro-active and decide when to submit the bid. The eBay automatic servers are reactive and will only bid on your behalf when someone else initiates the bid. They submit a bid before the eBay server can respond with an automatic bid. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

I think it's very useful. As I said before, esnipe is a very good tool for when you aren't around at the end of an auction. I don't ever bid on anything until the last few seconds. Putting in a max bid at the beginning is more useless in my mind since it starts the bidding wars early.

Back