Can't Hit New Fitted Clubs. No offset issue or break in period needed?

zooliu

Reaction score
Handicap
OK so i just got fitted for the first time after several years of really getting into the game. I had some 2015 Big Bertha GI irons but they were too long & heavy for me (i'm a shorter guy) and found that I was killing it (distance & accuracy) with some cheap costco clubs (callway edge) i bought for my wife recently. Definitely was due to their shorter club length and lighter flex as my swing speed isn't that fast. Really goes to show how much a proper club sizing plays a role.

I shoot in the low 90's and actually just broke 90 the other day with my wife's clubs (woo hoo!). Anyways, i went to a Callaway Center fitting and got recommended Apex 19 clubs (1" shorter & light graphite shaft flex).

The clubs just arrived a few days ago and i just cant hit them. I'm all over the place and not as far and it's causing some injuries.

Question i have is - is this just me needing to get used to new clubs esp since they're forged compared to the game improvement irons i'm used to? I'm wondering if things dont change if i should go back to more forgiving clubs.

These definitely don't have as much offset and so is this a big factor in getting used to these clubs? What suggestions do you all have with moving from GI offset clubs to forged/non-offset clubs? I'm going to focus on making sure my hands are in front of the clubhead at setup and impact to see if that helps.

I just got these and am a little frustrated/freaked out by what i'm seeing. Perhaps i'll feel better about these clubs after some time?

Thanks all,

Steve

Forging shouldn’t have anything to do with play as it’s how a club is manufactured. When you were fit you hit them better than current clubs?

Welcome to THP Steve!

What's the most common miss with the new clubs? The apex 19, have a ton of forgiveness and technology built in. In my opinion, the cast vs. forged thing is just a preference, and should have no impact on overall playability of the club. The decreased offset may take a bit of getting used to from a mental perspective but there's some good videos on youtube relating to minimal performance impact it has.

If it were me, I'd put in a few good range sessions with them, and see if I couldn't get into a groove with them.

If you’re used to swing hard to compensate for the older clubs, are you swinging these more like you’d swing your wife’s clubs or more like your old set?

Ya tighter distribution and longer.

So it’s definitely starting off slightly right (face issue) whereas before i was dead center. I’m wondering if that’s getting used to no offset? Also just not as long which may just be because its less forgiving?

I would relax, go to the range and have a few sessions. You were able to hit them at the fitting, so it may just be a mental thing. I had the same thing happen to me on my new iron set, sometimes it takes a little bit to get settled in. Or the fitter really screwed up.

If you’re used to swing hard to compensate for the older clubs, are you swinging these more like you’d swing your wife’s clubs or more like your old set?

I stopped using the old big bertha probably 3m ago (which were heavyh and so i had to really make sure i took it slow and “finished my backswing” so the timing was right). Right now i’ve been swinging these like i do w/my wife’s clubs. The biggest things I can see (outside of the technology in the club heads) is that the apex’s have Light instead of Womens flex and they’re not offset like hers are. -S

I would relax, go to the range and have a few sessions. You were able to hit them at the fitting, so it may just be a mental thing. I had the same thing happen to me on my new iron set, sometimes it takes a little bit to get settled in. Or the fitter really screwed up.

Yup i’m guessing its what you’re saying too. They seemed good at the fitting. Outside of any feedback here, i’m going to put some time in with them and happy to post how it goes.

Welcome to THP Steve!

What's the most common miss with the new clubs? The apex 19, have a ton of forgiveness and technology built in. In my opinion, the cast vs. forged thing is just a preference, and should have no impact on overall playability of the club. The decreased offset may take a bit of getting used to from a mental perspective but there's some good videos on youtube relating to minimal performance impact it has.

If it were me, I'd put in a few good range sessions with them, and see if I couldn't get into a groove with them.

So it’s definitely starting off slightly right (face issue) whereas before i was dead center. I’m wondering if that’s getting used to no offset? Also just not as long which may just be because its less forgiving?

That could well be part of it. I 2nd the “take them to the range” idea, get comfortable with the lack of offset.

Got my new fitted clubs at the beginning of the month. It has taken me a couple of weeks to settle in with them, but on Thursday, five birdies made me think they are all good.

Perseverance and practice will overcome.

for me there is always an adjustment period. keep plugging away, and if you don’t find consistency after the next several rounds i would contact the fitter to see if you can go back in and see if they can make any recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to THP Steve. I had some new clubs this year and felt the same when I was first hitting them. It took me a good month to feel comfortable with my new set. You have an awesome set of clubs so I would say stick with it for a bit. There is a ton of great information and knowledge on here to help you sort it out.

I know everybody likes to talk about how forgiving the Apex 19s are, but IMO that is only if you compare them to blades or something. You have to put a decent to good swing on them to get a good result unlike the GI and SGI irons I came from (Rogue, G400, G25, G10) which were really just point and click.

The offset might have something to do with it depending on what your miss is, but you just need to go out and hit the range with them. Great clubs but they require a bit more precision to use them successfully.

I've been there - I picked up a set of Ping G15 a few years back, and when I first got them I couldn't hit them to save my life. They ended up being a set of irons I had in the bag for longer than any set I've owned since.

While I do agree with tcugdu that "forgiveness" in the context of the Apex irons is sometimes overstated - I think just due to their size they are more demanding than some of the other irons they get cross-shopped with. But if you're shooting low 90s/breaking 90 occasionally, I think you'll be fine with them. After all, you hit them better than the clubs you were playing at the fitting. Trust the fitting, give it some time, and I bet they start clicking for you.

I agree with tcugdu. I think your new irons are simply harder to hit (i.e. Less forgiving) than your old ones. I've had a similar problem. I just got back into golf after a long layoff. All of my clubs were about 10 years old, so I upgraded my bag. I hit my current irons (Cobra F8s and Ben Hogan Edge) way worse than my old, heavy, perimeter weighted Nike irons. I'm having to learn how to swing better.

Another possibility is that the irons aren't to the spec you were fitted for. I have heard people on here talk about their order being wrong after a fitting.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I dunno, I have just a hunch that part of this is that golf is hard.

Trust the fitter.

I wouldn't sweat and give it time. I'm going through a little of the same thing. Started the season with new irons without knocking off the rust, so I'm putting some bad swings on the the ball. Conditions have been soggy and windy to make it worse with little time to get the the range. When I swing them well they are soooo good though so I know it's just a matter of time.

My previous set was the same. Struggle miserably at the start with them...and then it clicked. Best irons I've played until I just went OL.

Give it time.

Give it time and practice. You both need to get to know each other first. Especially if you are playing a different shaft.

Took me a couple range sessions to get used to my z forged after being with previous set for 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practice, practice, practice. Get used to them.

They are great irons and if you’ve broke 90, you are capable enough to take advantage of them. I have a couple sets that I use, depending on swing, mood, or any number of things. The difference between sets is stark. When I play my better player clubs (Raxr X Forged) I have to consciously remind myself every shot to hit it more towards the heel. If I don’t the result is a hand stinging toe shot that goes 50% as far as I want it to. I have to do that with my Epic long irons too, although not to the same degree. And a miss with them isn’t near as bad, but the ability to shot shape isn’t there either.

Thanks everyone. I think the consensus is to keep at them. Honestly just hearing that others needed a break in period was a huge relief.

Already the push/slice I was doing consistently is gone...just need to get the distance back up.

Here's a really interesting tidbit from all of this....when i moved from my wrongly fit off the rack Big Berthas (too long by 1", prob wrong lie because of that and too stiff of a flex) to my wife's shorter/flexier clubs, it was a pretty immediate & consistent improvement in my shots from thereon (as opposed to moving from her clubs to similar specification Apex clubs).

Basically it seems like just getting the right length/lie/flex is a way bigger deal than getting the right club type - at least in my case. Hope that helps anyone who's never been fitted and is in the wrong set specs.

Ok golf season, here i come!

I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm 6'4'' and always played standard clubs. Now have custom fit irons, and it's thrown me for a loop. I'm starting to adjust to them a bit better after practice. Just takes time and patience.

Back