Everything you've wanted to know about golf but were afraid to ask.

Annhl8rX

Reaction score
Handicap
I've only been golfing for a couple of years, so there are things (aside from how to get better) that I'm still learning about the game. I'm also a guy that doesn't like to admit when I don't know what the heck someone is talking about. It took me quite a few rounds to figure out what "green in regulation" meant, and even more to deduce what an "up and down" was.

Since THP seems to be a fairly judgement free zone, I thought I'd start a thread for folks to ask these kinds of questions. I know I can't be the only one that has them.

I'll start it off. I admittedly have no idea what someone means when they say "over the top" in reference to a swing flaw. What the heck does that mean?

Over the Top means they swing like me, basically at the top of the swing moving your right shoulder out and coming across the ball in a cutting motion, from right to left (RH golfer) instead of being square at impact.

I like this...

What is the difference between a shallow or steep swing?

I like this...

What is the difference between a shallow or steep swing?
A shallow swing plane would be to imagine holding a broomstick across your shoulder and rotating only your hips left to right, keeping them on a shallow plane and not up and down, basically keeping your shoulders level. A steep plane would be to do the same with a broomstick across your shoulders, and only rotate them around your waist, making them go basically up and down and around your body.

A shallow swing plane would be to imagine holding a broomstick across your shoulder and rotating only your hips left to right, keeping them on a shallow plane and not up and down, basically keeping your shoulders level. A steep plane would be to do the same with a broomstick across your shoulders, and only rotate them around your waist, making them go basically up and down and around your body.

Is one better than the other?

Is one better than the other?
Neither is ideal, IMO. But finding a perfect mix with the right posture and body lean is what I try to get. However, I am a Over-the-top Steep-swinger, and play a slight cut.

Good thread. I think I've looked up this rule half a dozen times and never can remember but what's the difference in drop rules between yellow and red stakes?

Good thread. I think I've looked up this rule half a dozen times and never can remember but what's the difference in drop rules between yellow and red stakes?
Yellow stakes are regular hazards, Red stakes are lateral hazards.

So....what's the difference?
Red stakes are typically on the left or right side of the hole. Yellow stakes are typically for a forced carry or something of the like. If you are going for the green over a hazard, and it is yellow staked, and you dont clear it, you drop from where you are or closest to the point of entry.

Red stakes you can take a lateral drop from where you ball went in to the hazard.

Red stakes are typically on the left or right side of the hole. Yellow stakes are typically for a forced carry or something of the like. If you are going for the green over a hazard, and it is yellow staked, and you dont clear it, you drop from where you are or closest to the point of entry.

Red stakes you can take a lateral drop from where you ball went in to the hazard.

Excellent. Thanks! And both are a single stroke penalty? (i.e. drop 2, hitting 3?)

Here's the nerdy version of Rule 26 (you may clean or substitute a ball before dropping it):

You have three options from yellow stakes/lines:

a) play the ball as it lies
b) stroke and distance; drop the ball from the previous spot
c) drop the ball behind the water hazard, keeping the spot where the ball last crossed the hazard line between the hole and the spot where the ball is dropped, not closer to the hole

You have two additional options from red stakes/lines (lateral water hazard):
d) drop the ball within two club lengths from where the ball last crossed the hazard line, not closer to the hole
e) drop the ball within two club lengths from a point on the opposite margin of the hazard equidistant from the hole

I haven't figured out a mnemonic device or anything to remember the difference.

Here's the nerdy version of Rule 26 (you may clean or substitute a ball before dropping it):

c) drop the ball behind the water hazard, keeping the spot where the ball last crossed the hazard line between the hole and the spot where the ball is dropped, not closer to the hole

d) drop the ball within two club lengths from where the ball last crossed the hazard line, not closer to the hole
e) drop the ball within two club lengths from a point on the opposite margin of the hazard equidistant from the hole

Nerd

A good thread imo. There are always a bunch of things that one new to golf or even who may golf avidly are not familiar with and are afraid to ask about at risk of a bit of embarrassment. Though to be honest, anything I ever did not know and brought up on purpose or by mistake was usually answered or corrected without ever being made to feel embarrassed. That just the kind if place THP is. Too many good people here to be anything else.

OK, I will bite.

What does "tipping" a shaft mean?

OK, I will bite.

What does "tipping" a shaft mean?
Cutting the shaft back a bit on the club head end of it, to make the shaft play slightly stiffer.

Cutting the shaft back a bit on the club head end of it, to make the shaft play slightly stiffer.

What effect if any does cutting the other (grip/butt?) end have on shaft stiffness?

What effect if any does cutting the other (grip/butt?) end have on shaft stiffness?

You trim to length from the butt end. Will it stiffen it? Yes, but only a minor bit as it's just because you've shortened the length, not changed characteristics.

Easiest way I remember this is red 2 clubs, then yellow is any distance from the hazard back to your original position in line with the hazard.

You trim to length from the butt end. Will it stiffen it? Yes, but only a minor bit as it's just because you've shortened the length, not changed characteristics.

Next question.... Soft stepping is cutting the tip down (tipping) to intentionally increase flex so the shaft is between stiffness profiles? So a stiff flex that's been soft stepped would sit between an s and an x flex ( of the same model).

Can I use an Orange Whip once the round begins? Say standing on the tee box waiting for someone to hit? Or is it considered a training device?

Okay...this is a great thread, so since I'm no longer a stranger, what does it mean when they say he got a par with a "pop"? What does the word "pop" mean?

Okay...this is a great thread, so since I'm no longer a stranger, what does it mean when they say he got a par with a "pop"? What does the word "pop" mean?

I've never hear of this in all my years. New to me.

I've never hear of this in all my years. New to me.

A pop/dot/blow is just a stroke on a hole when you're playing in a handicapped event. Scoring a 5 with a pop vs a 4 would halve the hole with net 4s.

Back