Know anything about new washing machines?

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
Short story long:
Our washing machine died two days ago and the clothes & frustration are piling up. Between the service call and possible costs of replacing parts, I don't think it is worth it to throw $100s at a 10+ y.o. machine in hopes to get it limping along for a few more years. (opinions on this may vary)

Anywho: Anyone in the industry or recently go through this?
It must be a large-capacity machine - we wash a lot of blankets, sleeping bags, etc.
We currently have top-load and are perfectly happy with that.
Stacking isn't an option, but a front load would be fine if there is a legitimate reason to go that direction.
Are there any must-have features for a family of four with two dogs?
Is the Steam Wash that so many push worth the money?

With all the different wash cycles and trademarked terms on these things (turbowash, jetwash, hydro-klean, allergy wash, blah blah blah) I am a bit confused.

Please help!

I just recently went thru the washing machine woes and the one thing I learned and didn't really pay much attention to or think of is making sure the machine is a steel tub and not a plastic tub. Not something I would have thought of when I purchased during the holidays that just past. And then there is price ..man they can get expensive for a whasing machine .

Steel tub for sure, front loads use less water, wive's always want a matching set (ugh) and in my house the number 1 rule: don't touch (i can live with that)

We don't really use the steam clean option on our front loader. Sears Outlet is a great place to look for washing machines.

I've worked in plastics for a long long time and can tell you the stuff in washing machine and dishwasher tubs should last the life of your unit. It's awfully good stuff. But so should stainless steel. Our dishwasher has a plastic tub and our washer a stainless. Both are about six years old.

I learned a few things about appliance buying in general when we replaced a refrigerator, gas range, and microwave in a six week span (!?)about a year ago. Almost nothing is stocked. Ordering locally could mean delivery in two weeks if you want a specific model. Keep that in mind - it shocked me. Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, Sears - all the same. I wound up buying our refrigerator online - at www.us-appliance.com, one of several online stores you can find - and got it delivered in about eight days. We saved almost $1,000 on a $2,800 model - but remember you should not have to pay list anywhere. But when I looked at dishwashers, their prices were prices were no better than local dealers.

According to Consumer Reports, there is about a 15% chance a washing machine will require a major repair within four years. Front-loaders are a little more reliable than top-loaders. Samsung and Maytag seem to be among the more reliable, Whirlpool and GE among the least. LG has the most reliable front-loaders and least reliable top-loaders.

The front loaders use a lot less energy, and water, as in a nice dent in both bills, but be sure the unit is well-reviewed. We bought a Bosch, which can no longer be had in these parts, and Bosch redesigned its long-running front-loaders in a larger size for the US market. It's never been good. Cycles always run longer than the timer says - sometimes it will stay at 0:02 for 21 minutes, for example - and sometimes the clothes end the cycle soaking wet. I am confident our next unit will be a top loader - my wife's preference - and we will probably end up with something like a Whirlpool Cabrio, which sort of mimics the efficiencies of a front-loader in a top-loading design. Our daughter the newlywed got one of those and is quite pleased with it. My son and daughter-in-law bought a new home and it came with all Frigidaire appliances. They aren't really happy with them, but seem to complain the least about their front-loader

In appliances, the big box stores often have exclusive models, made just for them - often to hit a cost/price point. That can, but doesn't have to, mean parts will be harder to come by. Speaking of parts, the plastic fill control valve on our dishwasher cracked at 8 pm one evening when we fortunately were home. There wasn't a replacement within 1,200 miles. I bought a new OEM one on eBay and had it delivered overnight - four days sooner - for 70% of the cost to get one locally. And that was a fairly generic Whirlpool part.

GE is in the midst of selling its appliance business. The first deal to Electrolux fell through and now the buyer is Haier, a large Chinese appliance maker. I don't know that would affect any manufacturing/quality for the foreseeable future. There has been a lot of consolidation in the industry, so if that sort of thing matters, check that out. Maytag, for example, is now owned by Whirlpool.

Good luck.

I hate front loaders. Had one, hated it ... so when our dryer died, I jumped at the opportunity to replace both. We went with a Samsung top loader and love it.

We got rid of our LG front end loaders and bought Samsung high efficiency top loaders, work very well and without the musk odor that you are constantly wiping down on the front end loaders

A few years ago we went from an old top loader to modern front loader. The FL is a million times more quiet, uses way less water and soap and does a better job of cleaning. We also are a very high use family. I'd buy FL (and this model) again.

I like the old clunkers because I can fix them myself with way less difficulty.

According to Consumer Reports, LG has the most reliable front-loaders and least reliable top-loaders.

Good luck.

We got rid of our LG front end loaders and bought Samsung high efficiency top loaders, work very well and without the musk odor that you are constantly wiping down on the front end loaders

Haha - it figures

Our first pick for a top-loader is an LG and my wife said she has friends who report similar odors from the rubber gasket of front-loaders.

:banghead:

Haha - it figures

Our first pick for a top-loader is an LG and my wife said she has friends who report similar odors from the rubber gasket of front-loaders.

:banghead:
FL odors are probably going to happen with any model. You want to be pretty diligent about wiping excess water off the top of the rubber seal (?) and leaving the door open to ventilate.

We have had a front loader for about 8 years and it is way better than the top loader with an agitator. My best friend has a top loader without and agitator and they like it too.

Just don't wash your shower/bath mat in it if it has a rubber type of underside. They flake off and clog the drain and you have to suck it out with a shop vac. I know from experience.

I really like our front loader/dryer and they are an off brand Amana. Have had them for 7 years and they still work great.
They don't have the steam option but most people I know that have it rarely use it.

You can save a lot of $ buying whats on sale. They usually aren't much different than the non-sale versions.

Also look for free delivery and set up.

FL odors are probably going to happen with any model. You want to be pretty diligent about wiping excess water off the top of the rubber seal (?) and leaving the door open to ventilate.

^^^+1

and another in my wife's list of complaints about front-loaders in general. She reminds me a lot that I talked her into a front loader, and not without justification.

A few years ago we went from an old top loader to modern front loader. The FL is a million times more quiet, uses way less water and soap and does a better job of cleaning. We also are a very high use family. I'd buy FL (and this model) again.

I have Never had any odors from mine in 7 years. We never wipe it down either. We do leave the door open for an hour or so after a cycle but that's it to let it dry.

We had LG front loaders at our last house and the buyer offered us $2k over asking to leave them. IIRC it was just under that to replace them with another set of the same. I remember shopping around then asking Home Depot to price match Best Buy so we could use some gift cards I had. We use the steam option frequently on my dress shirts to save ironing(nearly eliminated) and I use the sanitary option anytime I'm washing stuff that has stains from work at the hospital. My only gripe is that the drier's auto sense is garbage, at least with certain fabrics. I can have a load of tee shirts with one synthetic golf shirt and as soon as the synthetic shirt rubs the sensor it claims the load is dry. I've just started using time dry on my golf shirts.

We had LG front loaders at our last house and the buyer offered us $2k over asking to leave them. IIRC it was just under that to replace them with another set of the same. I remember shopping around then asking Home Depot to price match Best Buy so we could use some gift cards I had. We use the steam option frequently on my dress shirts to save ironing(nearly eliminated) and I use the sanitary option anytime I'm washing stuff that has stains from work at the hospital. My only gripe is that the drier's auto sense is garbage, at least with certain fabrics. I can have a load of tee shirts with one synthetic golf shirt and as soon as the synthetic shirt rubs the sensor it claims the load is dry. I've just started using time dry on my golf shirts.

Thanks for this.

The steam feature seems to separate the mid-to-high end units and I wasn't sure it was worth the cost. If it works as they/you say - it would be worth the cost to me.

Thanks for this.

The steam feature seems to separate the mid-to-high end units and I wasn't sure it was worth the cost. If it works as they/you say - it would be worth the cost to me.

One thing to note about the steam, it works dramatically better on a couple shirts at a time rather than trying to steam a full load. I typically steam my shirt for Monday morning's meeting Sunday evening and hit the collar with the iron before hanging. On slacks I end up having to iron the waist and freshening up pleats which leads me to believe the steam can't penetrate thicker areas.(ie collars, waists etc.) otherwise it works great though if I had to wear a real dress shirt daily I'd likely be back at the dry cleaner. I probably wear legit dress shirts 2x a week max, otherwise I'm in a golf shirt. My shirts for tuxedos and formal evenings still go to the dry cleaners but that's more b/c the wife is more picky than I am when she's out with me. :)

Highly recommend looking into the Samsung top loading washers and dryers. They have larger capacity that handles blankets and such without issue. My washer is the 4.8 cu foot model, but they have a 5 cu foot version as well. Prior to the Samsung set I had front loading LGs, which were okay, but the Samsungs are much better IMO.

I've had the old front load...which I hated and let someone take it when a "parting of ways" happened. We bought the ultra high capacity front load KenMore Elite set from Sears on Black Friday last year and they have been outstanding. Went back and forth between LG/Samsung but these had better reviews and are larger. They have come a long way with the front load system and enjoy the lower water and run times. We always wipe down the door and rubber gasket and leave the door propped open with the magnet so there is always ventilation.

I've been told to leave the washing to her, but I try and help out when I'm not working. Why...they built them big enough to hold a whole laundry basket at one time...why not just through everything in! They have been great with large items and huge loads of jeans. The steam is great and we (she) uses all the features. She hasn't looked back yet. Built a stand for the units as I wasn't paying $600 (half of what we paid for the set...yep it was an awesome deal) and made it high enough she doesn't have to bend to load and unload.

Good luck as I know it was a pain in the butt when we were looking!

I have a Kenmore fancy dancy washer,dryer set and we love it. Does whats advertized and I like the uneven load alarm that seems to happen a lot with blankets and sheets. Delicate cycle for wifeys and kids school unis which cleans very well. Also has that steam wash thingy for severely wrinkled items. Got it at Sears on clearance. 1500 for both I believe

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We ended up ordering a Samsung top-load for a good/fair price. It has a tray/gadget for pre-washing or stain removal and I'm not optimistic, but hopefully the rest of the machine works as promised.
At the end, it came down to Samsung or LG top-loads and I put a lot of weight on THP user feedback.

If this goes belly up - I know who to blame...

:sarcastic:

LG. Cannot be happier. Steam cleaner, multi function and saves both energy and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did go with the steam-clean function. From the way it was described, it sounds like it was worth the upcharge.

Let whom ever does the laundry in you house deal with it and allow her/him to buy what what ever they want/need.....you will thank me later.

Back