ESPN-The Thug Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very limited view of an entire genre mostly fueled by the mainstream exposure. "They" includes record execs and reps who focus on what they think is most profitable. If people explored the genre at all, they would find a lot of fun, intelligent, positive, enlightening, unique and talented people and songs.

It is essentially judging a book by its cover.

Much of the hip hop I listen to actually speaks out against or makes fun of so-called thugs and posers. One album I have is a scathing parody of gangster rap.

Not exactly because there is no judgement.
I never said every rapper or group was like that. I said the industry erupted from it.

Not exactly because there is no judgement.
I never said every rapper or group was like that. I said the industry erupted from it.
Didn't mean you specifically, just in general. A lot of people have the wrong idea about rap/hip hop based solely on limited exposure (this is not unique to hip hop of course). A lot of people also label songs thuggish without listening to the lyrics.

Didn't mean you specifically, just in general. A lot of people have the wrong idea about rap/hip hop based solely on limited exposure (this is not unique to hip hop of course). A lot of people also label songs thuggish without listening to the lyrics.

I would say that is as much correct as the flip side of a lot of people willing to embrace things that are pretty objectionable.

I would say that is as much correct as the flip side of a lot of people willing to embrace things that are pretty objectionable.
absolutely true...people party to or pay for music of all genres and have no idea what the singer/rapper is even saying.

Many times people don't know what they are even supporting or embracing. Kind of scary and usually just people being sheep.

I think the OP should read up on modern marketing/advertising. Having a better understand the process that decides what is presented to us consumers can be eye opening.

I find the initial premise of this thread really jarring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the initial premise of this thread really jarring

Well, all that music about sex, drugs, and violence.

It's alright.....maybe I was a little non PC.

Rest assured, I won't be watching anything on espn.

They don't give a rats a## about the older viewers.

Hey ESPN:

You're carrying coverage of the 1st and 2nd round of the Masters.....

I would love me some J-Zee to open-up the coverage, while you pan the camera over prestigious Augusta in the blimp.:bashful:

Hey ESPN:

You're carrying coverage of the 1st and 2nd round of the Masters.....

I would love me some J-Zee to open-up the coverage, while you pan the camera over prestigious Augusta in the blimp.:bashful:

Jay-Z might be too much... Maybe some Eminem would be better or Dr Dre. I would love to see that

Who is J-Zee?

I don't think we need to worry about espn laying thug music over Masters coverage.

Edit: turns out there is a rapper named J-zee. He was/is not very popular

Way to surprise me ESPN......thug rap opening to opening-day baseball.....

What is the big deal with Rap/Hip-Hop being so pervasive in every facet of society?

What a slap in the face to the older fans. They act like the older fan doesn't even exist.

Newsflash for espn, fox, etc.

Not everyone is a gangsta.

So because it's rap, it's gangsta?! Are you serious? The artist is not a 'gangsta' rapper. He is an artist that has been sampled by tons of artist in the club, EDM, hiphop community. His music is party music for millions.

I get you don't like hiphop but at least know the difference between 'gangasta' and top 40. Sheesh what are you thinking. It's like comparing Led Zepplin to the Monkeys. I kid of course but it's funny.

I'm no fan of rap music but my remote has a mute button that gets used regularly when Obama is speaking or rap music comes on.

So because it's rap, it's gangsta?! Are you serious? The artist is not a 'gangsta' rapper. He is an artist that has been sampled by tons of artist in the club, EDM, hiphop community. His music is party music for millions.

I get you don't like hiphop but at least know the difference between 'gangasta' and top 40. Sheesh what are you thinking. It's like comparing Led Zepplin to the Monkeys. I kid of course but it's funny.

It's "The Monkees," and I'll thank you for keeping them out of this conversation.

:alien:

If they are trying to be 'cool' with the current state of baseball, i could think of a different genre of music that might be more appropriate than Rap...

As an older fan, they already have you. They need to continue to work to bring in that next generation of fans. It's just business and like today's rap or not (which I don't), that is what is popular.

I'm not a huge fan of the music either, but usually when I tune in to a baseball game on ESPN it is to watch baseball. The music isn't going to be the difference between me watching and me not watching.

So who is going to stop watching ESPN for the sports highlights and start watching for the music?

I have worked on a college campus for a long time including directly with vast numbers of students. Pop culture and music just become background noise. I watch ESPN for sporting interests and don't really care what music they play.

So who is going to stop watching ESPN for the sports highlights and start watching for the music?

They play more music than MTV.

Way to surprise me ESPN......thug rap opening to opening-day baseball.....

What is the big deal with Rap/Hip-Hop being so pervasive in every facet of society?

What a slap in the face to the older fans. They act like the older fan doesn't even exist.

Newsflash for espn, fox, etc.

Not everyone is a gangsta.

You are the reason why I frequent this site less and less. You could have kept all this to yourself or posted in the rant thread. Yet you feel it's so important to spout your ignorant ********

You are the reason why I frequent this site less and less. You could have kept all this to yourself or posted in the rant thread. Yet you feel it's so important to spout your ignorant ********

Whoa! There is no reason to go down a path like that.
Not sure how this poster and his limited posts keep someone from a website, but those are choices each individual will make. We hope they decide to stick around THP and enjoy the weekly contests, huge events and all around great time, however if they choose a different path, that is fine too.

You know they picked a good opening and song when my 5 and 7 year old daughters know the song and were singing along to the opening.

Whoa! There is no reason to go down a path like that.
Not sure how this poster and his limited posts keep someone from a website, but those are choices each individual will make. We hope they decide to stick around THP and enjoy the weekly contests, huge events and all around great time, however if they choose a different path, that is fine too.

Not just him specifically, but the pervasive slick undertones whenever anything political comes up. The random social commentary that happens on this site. I come to read about golf and products. This site is helpful but I shouldn't be subject to THIS. I stay out of the rant thread and saw this thread yesterday and did not respond. But hey it's my opinion that's what's wrong with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back