Rather play with somebody on the same level or it doesn't matter?

I don’t care who I play with, although I will state that I usually play to the same level of competition. If I’m playing with a really focused scratch golfer I’ll often give him/her a run for their money. Occasionally even beating them. Same if I’m playing a 20HC. My dad is roughly a 20 and I usually play close to his level with him. I do just enough to beat him, lol. He hasn’t beat me straight up yet, which drives him nuts since he’s often just a stroke or two behind. I’ll get to 15/16 and say “oh crap, can’t let dad win” and that’ll do it.

I’m not above the hack em up party with higher HC’s and I can sometimes go low enough to scare low HC’s.

I think I just posted that I like to have fun golfing and can adapt to any group. I may decide to be more serious about this in the future but for now, I’m just out to have a good time and forget life for 3-4 hours. I have a HC, but only because I want to have something on paper if I get into an event here. It’s not like I don’t try, but trying is secondary to having fun. There’s rounds I’ve gone low without really trying and there’s rounds where I’ve gone high when grinding. Golf is stupidly hard, and for the twice a week hacker (at best) it’s insanely hard to string together 18 holes without blowing up once or twice. Or more.

It's nice to play with people around the same skill level when gambling but if there is no money on the line I don't really care who I play with. As long as they are decent people.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ability does not matter.
Instead, it is etiquette, pace of play and if I'm paying attention to where your shots go and helping look for balls, please return the courtesy.

#1 priority for me is playing with people who play quickly and want to have a good time.

The worse thing for me is a person is playing slowly and is angry with their game.

For preference on playing ability I like to play with people better than me. I like seeing what they do in different situations and treat it like a playing lesson. When its competitive as well I usually play better.

I find I play better & enjoy the round more playing with people around my level or better. Either way, just move with some purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really doesn't matter to me. As long as they play at a good pace, have good etiquette and are a nice person I'll play with anyone.

Play ready golf and don't be a Richard and I'm happy to play with you regardless of skill level.

Ditto from another Buckeye golfer, matters not to me regarding skill level, just keep pace of play and have fun. My brother once said "life is too short to play with aholes", advice well taken.

Anyone works for me.

Playing with better players is cool to marvel at the best among them. While being inspired by the perceived to be attainable elements of others' games.

Playing with beginners reminds me of fond memories of my own start and the desire to improve by beginners and intermediate players alike, stokes my passion for the game.

If someone loves the game, plays at a reasonable pace and has at least a decent demeanor, I'll be sure to enjoy the company.

I normally play with the same group of friends that shoot around the same give or take 5 strokes. The other day I played with a low handicap player. Super nice guy, even played from the whites for all 18 holes. For me it was cool to see the shots he was making. I really dont know how he felt. Im pretty sure at some point he was getting tired of seeing me hacking away. Reflected on his score. Front 9 he was -1, back he shot +6. My question is do you guys prefer to play with the same level golfer? Or it doesn't really matter?

I couldn't care less how good my playing partners are, as long as they are fun. Not a big fan of trolling through the heather searching for balls every hole, but I play with all kinds of player levels and that rarely seems to be the case.

Play fast, be respectful of the rules, and have fun. Do all those things, and I'm all over it.

I’m fine playing with any skill level. Just need to not be a d-bag and not take forever and im ok with it.

Some of my best rounds (at that time) have been playing with people who scored much higher than I. As long as they're not throwing clubs, ranting and raving, and they keep up, it doesn't matter to me.

I do enjoy playing with someone a but better than me, but not too much or it becomes intimidating. If I'm shooting mid-80's, I'd enjoy mid-70's, but I think mid-60's would be too much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Personally, it doesn't matter, but I would think that better players would get frustrated watching me duff it around the course. I'm also fairly chatty, as in I like to talk about the round, which can irritate people.

I would rather play with people of my level or a little better. I am capable of a good day, and capable of being spray and pray on a given day. When I am in spray and pray mode, and playing with a good golfer, I always feel as if I am holding them back, or interfering with their enjoyment.

I think I am an outlier. I tend to play worse when playing with better players. Part of it is because I start trying to play their game. News flash: I cannot hit it 290 in the fairway, I can't stick that 170 yard approach shot to 20', I don't have the putting game to make that a realistic shot to go in.

I CAN hit it 260, put an approach shot somewhere on the green or nearby, maybe get on in three and 2-jack when I lag it close enough to make the second. When I try to do that, whether playing guys above or below me I play fine. But when I start trying to hammer it out there 290, I slice into the woods, try to make it up in one shot...

so I actually slightly prefer playing guys at my level or below.

As others have said, play fast, have fun, I don't care what you shoot. Just came back from tournament where we were grouped by handicap. Within the spread, there were players better and worse than me. Both groups we were matched with just had a great time and that was all that mattered to me

I prefer to play with people around my level or better. But I do enjoy playing with certain people that are high handicappers and they own it, they don't get mad at themselves for it.

As long as I am not in the deep stuff on every single hole I don't mind. If you hit it way shorter than me and your ball is on this planet I'll have fun with you

Truly doesn't matter.

My usual golfing buddies range from a low single digit cap all the way to a 25 handicap. Music is in the cart, some great golf shots happen, some horrible golf shots happen, maybe a beer from the cart girl. Just having a good time overall.

I am good with players of any ability as long as they play at a reasonable pace. Used to mistakenly try to hit the ball farther with often disasterous results when I played with someone half my age that hit it 50 os so yards past me. Play with those guys all the time still but learned to just play my game and marvel at them hitting mid irons 2nd shots into par 5's while I am just trying to get my 2nd shot around the 100 yards marker to leave a full 54 or 58 wedge in.

Doesn't matter, but I would prefer better than me.

I enjoy playing with all skill levels of golfers.

I do admit that for some reason, when I am playing with a better player than myself, it seems to elevate my game.

I'm just happy to play. If I had a choice I'd prefer to play with golfers who are better.
Lucky for me, that isn't a hard request to meet. However, I'm always game.

Unless you're a jerk. Then I'm just glad to have found out, and will see if things change.

+ tee it up

I have no preference either way, I play with + handicappers and I play with those who have the maximum 54 handicap

The only thing that matters to me is that everyone enjoys and respects the game

I will literally play with anyone assuming they adhere to the etiquette. Keep pace, don't be an a**hole. I enjoy playing with someone who is an absolute stick. It feels like watching their steady play and smooth swing starts to cause me to follow suit and get more methodical usually resulting in me striking the ball better. I have played with all sorts and don't mind.

When I play with those that are better, I play worse.
When I play with those that are worse, I play better.

To me it doesn't matter, just happy to be golfing.

Playing partners, can be slow or fast, toss clubs, curse out their grandma's on a bad shot, be a rule nerd, can foot wedge every lie, be obnoxious, ect. It doesn't bother me, it is just free entertainment between my shots.

I seem to play better when partnered with better players. I am not sure if I focus more or if I mentally think my lesser play will negatively affect their experience so I play better. It could be I don't want to embarrass myself also.

I don't mind playing with both better or worse players than myself. As long as they respect the game and keep pace of play, I'm fine with it. For me playing with really good golfers is fun to see how they attack holes and shots. I try to be more aware of the pace of play with I am paired with a better golfer, as it's possible they are hoping I don't slow them down. More times than not my score is a little better since I am more focused though.

Back