Rather play with somebody on the same level or it doesn't matter?

Makes no neverminds to me... My normal playing partner is a lower cap than I am so I guess I'm used to playing with folks better than I am.

Doesn't matter to me at all as long as the person is fun to play with.

Obviously playing with a friend or with a stranger who is really good company is more fun than playing with a misanthrope, head case, whiner or club tosser.

But leaving aside personalities, all else being equal I definitely enjoy chances to play with really good players. Not just better than me (I'm a bogey golfer at best) but the guys who can make five or six birdies on a good day. It's just fun to see someone hitting good shots and making putts.

By contrast, playing alongside a 100-shooter who is having a bad round can be torture not matter how nice a guy he is. Just the time spent looking for balls or constantly having to re-tee provisionals or second balls every other hole gets old, fast.

You are on the always play with list, esp when it is a handicap event #worldsbest20cap

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you sir always a pleasure to play golf with a legend AKA the Milk Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality of person is far more important than the quality of ones game!

I really enjoy playing with players that are better than me (which is most golfers). Seeing how they go about putting up good scores is always interesting and helps me focus on my own game. But really I just like playing with people that are in a decent mood and don't play super slow.

... Golf is such a unique endeavor and about the only sport you can play and enjoy the company of people much worse or much better than your level. That is one of the reasons I left tennis. As long as someone has a positive attitude, or at least not a negative attitude I enjoy just about anyone. I have been in Phoenix all winter and in 4 months I only did not play 11 days so I have literally been paired up with hundreds of strangers. Very few Richards and players of all abilities. I have found golf really does attract good people.

... One of the reasons I love golf is experiencing nature. The flora and fauna, wildlife of all kinds and just the beauty of nature is soul enriching. So that said, I hate playing with anyone that smokes or drinks on the course. By drinking I am not talking about 1 or 2 beers but enough alcohol to change ones personality from the first tee to the last. Loud and obnoxious does not mesh well with nature and in many cases, your playing partners.

Last edited:
I like playing with people who are a little better or a lot better as long as they play at a reasonable pace.

Doesn't matter to me. If I play with a better handicap I find myself focusing on my game more. If I play with a higher handicap I find myself rooting for that player to find that spark that makes them play better. Both are fun. It's all golf in the end.

Makes no difference to me what the skill level of anyone I’m paired with as long as pace of play is maintained and proper etiquette is followed. Play from different tees if so desired.

Sign me up for golf. As long as the people I am playing with are having fun, and keeping a good pace, I don't care how good or bad they are

It doesn't matter to me... I just love golf! More importantly is playing with someone with the right attitude. If you're a 24 and having fun, great... if you're a 4 and a Richard if a goose honks during your backswing, then no it becomes a grind.

I play like 99% of my golf as a single so any chance to join a group is fun.

I'm 34, in that awkward life stage where all of my friends *who never took golf all that seriously anyway* are having kids and can never play.

I play with people who shoot a few strokes better than me on average, and I play with people who shoot 20 strokes worse than me, and its all fun. As long as they are fun, and not ungodly slow, then I'm cool with anyone.

~Rock

Good attitude + good pace = great partner.

This. I don’t care about your skill level, but I play better when I am in a rhythm. So as long as your pace and attitude are good, I’m just fine.

I down to play with anyone who isn't a Richard.

I would rather play with a bad fast golfer then a slow great one. If someone had a huge issue with bad language it would be awkward as i am basically incapable of censoring what I say. . Eventually I might stop looking for a ball after the 10th search but that is nothing personal and more due to I normally walk. What I am mostly trying to say is skill level is probably the 24th most important thing when it comes to people I play with.

What matters most to me is someone's attitude.

There's nothing wrong with a casual "Dammit" or my go-to "Nice shot, genius" muttered to myself after a bad shot. Of course we all want to play well and get disappointed when we don't. But shouting, throwing clubs or slamming them into the ground or just any sort of tantrum ... man, I don't care if you're scratch or a 25, that just tells me you're an asshole that I don't want to be around.

Like, I have good friends I won't even play with anymore because of their ****** attitudes.

I’d say pace matters more than anything... I kind of hate playing with dudes who will wait on a par 5 when they have 280 into a hole with the 3wood in their hands only to hit it 20 yards down the FW.

Couldn’t care less how good or bad my playing partners are as long as everyone is enjoying themselves.

I do however sometimes play slightly better when I play with golfers who are better than I am. Not sure why but it’s almost clockwork

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I truly enjoy playing with anyone who loves to play the game, and knows how to get around the course without undue delay or obnoxiousness. So much better if they love golf. I enjoy getting paired up with strangers and watching/listening to their approach.

That being said, I really enjoy playing with good players and especially a foursome that can shoot lights out. That part of me misses competitive golf.

Around the same level or better. Don't like playing with someone who is significantly worse than I am.

Don't care really. I've played with them all. Great players, average players, & really bad players .... just play at a steady pace. Not saying really fast but don't take forever. If you stand over the ball long enough for me to count to 10, then that is too long. Hit the ball already. This goes for putting as well. Don't read it from 17 different angles .... you can't read the green correctly anyway! LOL Get over the putt, one look at your target, pull the trigger. Not going to get on a tirade about slow play here but as they say ... Don't be a Richard .... well I say don't be SLOW!

I don’t mind for the most part as long as they play relatively quickly.

I occasionally try to play with really talented golfers to see what I can learn from them.

I prefer not to play with beginners. I find it’s tough to keep my game on track when they’re taking 3 or 4 shots to my one.
I play a lot as a single and it seems to me the people I enjoy playing with are the ones that are laid back and enjoyable to be around.
On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve golfed with one guy that shot a 68 last year. Good for him but he had zero personality and he was a bit of a Richard. Didn’t enjoy that round. #DontBeARichard

If someone would be so kind as to direct me to the origin post for #DontbeaRichard, I’d be much obliged.

Back