Rather play with somebody on the same level or it doesn't matter?

Tennis19

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I normally play with the same group of friends that shoot around the same give or take 5 strokes. The other day I played with a low handicap player. Super nice guy, even played from the whites for all 18 holes. For me it was cool to see the shots he was making. I really dont know how he felt. Im pretty sure at some point he was getting tired of seeing me hacking away. Reflected on his score. Front 9 he was -1, back he shot +6. My question is do you guys prefer to play with the same level golfer? Or it doesn't really matter?

To me it doesn't matter. I prefer to not have a search party hole after hole for missing balls, but I'm happy to play golf with anyone who keeps a solid pace.

As long as someone is not unreasonably slow or has a terrible temper I don't care.

Not being good is not an issue at all as long as they don't take a bunch of practice swings every shot / a minute to line up every putt / are not ready to play when it is their turn, etc...

Low caps may not like playing with me, but I do find it motivational to play with them.

Dave

In the long run there is something about playing with better people that seems to make you better, in my case anyways.

I always played with the same guys and while I progressed I really started to see lower scores when I joined up with some other buddies who where a lot better than me. The first group it was a great day if one of them cracked 100. The group I play with now are all mid 70s pretty consistent.

Watching their choices and mental approach was huge for me. Not bombing driver every hole, moving on from the bad shots, taking in to account lie or forced carry or seeing the line of the putt.

Also knowing the rules. The 100 group kind of had a grasp of the general stuff but the 70s group know them in and out and how to use them to your advantage when you can.

I enjoy Golf with anyone of any age or level, as long as you enjoy the game and don't mind the cigar smoke we are going to have fun.

It is true I think that playing with folks better than you helps you improve, if you are a learn by watching kind of person, seeing the way they attack the Course and their short game is just so interesting to me.

I do like playing with folks my age or Older since then I can be the long drive guy ha ha, playing with young guns (as I do a lot) makes me realize how much distance I have lost.

I'll play with anyone as long as they are nice. I play pretty quick so no one seems to mind playing with me.

I play with everyone but tend to play best when playing with people better than me

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Good attitude + good pace = great partner.

My typical Sunday group includes two guys with indexes between 2 & 3. I make sure they’re not waiting for me! We’re starting year 3 of playing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather play with somebody on the same level or it doesn't matter?

I like to play with people across skill levels. As long as they follow Harry’s #1 rule I’m good.

Like anything getting to watch someone who is really good at something up close is great but I think there are things to be learned from people who might not be at the same skill as well.

Last edited:
I can play with anyone. In my golfing life there has only been 1 person that is on the never golf with again list. Some of my favorite rounds have been played with strangers meet on the first tee.

ill play with anyone as long as they have a decent understanding of etiquette (including pace). but i seem to play my best with really good players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Play ready golf and don't be a Richard and I'm happy to play with you regardless of skill level.

I enjoy playing with anyone that has a good attitude no matter if they have their “D” game or “A” game that day. Recently my most fun golf is with my daughter and her friends on the high school team. The game is new to them and they have such a great attitude towards leaning the game.

I do enjoy playing with other low index players as well, but attitude and demeanor by far trumps their ability to shoot a low number.

Casual golfers or those shooting over 100 sometimes get nervous when playing with a scratch golfer. My advice is don’t, they are focused on their game and could care less if you are shooting 85 or 115.

It doesn't matter to me. I have met and made some good friends picking up singles and playing along with them. I have played with both guys and gals who are better than me and worse, just keep pace and play ready golf.

It doesn’t really matter to me. As long as they are cool their game is irrelevant

Playing with THP’rs has always been a great experience and a bonus

I can play with anyone as long as they're out there to have fun! It really is fun to play with everyone. I like watching low handicappers shoot par or better and the joy when high handicappers make a birdie! Its a game for everyone!

I'll golf with any level of golfer as long as they are out there to have fun and observe standard etiquette and don't have a temper. So like my others have stated, it's more about the attitude of the person than the golf ability. As been stated on every event THP does, ability isn't the concern, it's all about having fun and meeting awesome new people.

It’s more fun I believe as it focuses you to beat those on your level. Nothing worse in a competitive tournament when you play bad people, slows you down

While I will play with anyone, I prefer to play with around my skill level, or a smidge better. That way my stink doesn’t stand out, it kinda gets diluted with everyone else’s.

I'll play with any skill level as long as the person is pleasant and plays ready golf. I don't like sitting around waiting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’ll play with anybody. Beginners don’t bother me, since I was there once. While better players up MY game a bit. If beginners ask, I’ll offer general help- but tell them just play for now, wait until later to practice, no need to fill their heads with more stuff.
When I’m not hooking on with others while going out solo, I play with the same 2 guys all the time. Those rounds aren’t about playing golf so much as playing golf with buddies and having a good time. There are NEVER any wagers because they simply can’t beat me, and haven’t in 30+ years. So now it’s a bit of a joke if after the first hole I might mess up and take a 6 and one gets a 4 or 5, “gotta take a picture of the scorecard, I’m beating you” line comes up. They play their game and I play mine as always and take the mickey out of each other to no end. It’s 5 hours of being 15 again with no grownups around.
I’ve tromped around with players in their 90’s in FL, just played with a kid (15,16?)who was in his second season of playing who asked all kinds of questions (good swing with directional and length issues), and played with ‘rabbits’ who insist on trying to play in 3 hours on a 4:30 pace day. Running to the tee, then complain about waiting to tee off, hitting to par 3’s while in front they barely put the flag in, walking ahead after they tee off while others are still hitting, complaining the whole time. I play my game no matter who is with me. I only change a bit with those ‘rabbits’. I take a *bit* longer for this and *bit* longer for that just to wind them up. I’m not holding anybody up except him(in his mind). It’s fun to watch. And that’s what the game is about, right? To have fun?

If given the choice.....I would play with people who are better than me because of the opportunity for me to see how others play and learn from it. Otherwise, I have no issue with playing with people who have very high handicaps. I only have one etiquette request (demand) that drives me absolutely nuts....players who stand directly behind me when I am about to hit a shot. And even worse....they stand behind, and start moving.

I can play with anyone. In my golfing life there has only been 1 person that is on the never golf with again list. Some of my favorite rounds have been played with strangers meet on the first tee.

Dam I thought I passed the test lol now I am on another list lol

Dam I thought I passed the test lol now I am on another list lol

You are on the always play with list, esp when it is a handicap event #worldsbest20cap

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I will play with anyone as long as they are friendly and play ready golf. I do seem to play a little better when I play with higher skilled players for so.e reason though.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Back