Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what happened? Everything just go to pot, or one facet?

I couldn't keep it in play off the tee. I was just a slicing machine. I tried switching from the driver to the mini, but it was just more of the same. My normally atrocious putting was extra atrocious today. I'd guess I had more three putts than not.

Well, dumb, stubborn me insisted on using his driver during the sim leage round, and watched his ranking plummet.

That thing is coming out of my bag, never to be replaced. I cannot hit a driver, never have, never will.

Naughty bag or wood chipper?

Went 59/48 today. First round was a complete mess. Nothing happened right. Driver sucked, irons sucked, wedge game sucked. Was horrid. Things calmed down as I hit my first sub-50 9 of the year. The fourth hole was a disaster. Topped driver, whiffed 3W, topped 3W so bad I went back a yard, then another whiff. I conceded the hole and carded a 10.

Trying to Break 100

A couple of days ago first round of the year in this area. My brother and me played together and he scored 101. I holed out at 110. There was some dreadful chipping and putting was below par, so to say. The green was very slow and a lot of the putts fell short. Not so pleased with my iron play either. So yesterday I went to the driving range and had a good session. Hopefully will do better next time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was a tale of 2 nines.

Killed it on the front, a 45. Wedges were deadly. Putting was very good.

And then, came the back. Dropped a tasty 59. The 3-wood from the tee abandoned me. As did the fairway wood. Wedge play was still pretty good, though.

Rough going today...very rough going. Played 18, started on the back with a 62 and a 57 on the front for a disappointing 119.

This was the first time with the new clubs today and struggled a bit, especially with the putter, leaving quite a few putts short. Had 43 putts including 7 3-putts and a 4-putt.

There was a 9 hole stretch where I played pretty decent I felt. Ended up 18 over for those 9 holes, but that included an 8 on a par 4 and a 6 on a par 3.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get to try again this coming week.

Rough going today...very rough going. Played 18, started on the back with a 62 and a 57 on the front for a disappointing 119.

This was the first time with the new clubs today and struggled a bit, especially with the putter, leaving quite a few putts short. Had 43 putts including 7 3-putts and a 4-putt.

There was a 9 hole stretch where I played pretty decent I felt. Ended up 18 over for those 9 holes, but that included an 8 on a par 4 and a 6 on a par 3.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get to try again this coming week.

What new clubs did you get?

My oh my ..... last week I play 106 . So sad ... lack of short game skills.

My oh my ..... last week I play 106 . So sad ... lack of short game skills.
You will do better next time. Try hitting a small bucket with your wedges before the next round, get a feel for them before it's scoring time.

110 today. Back nine destroyed me. Three 10s, yet two pars. Golf is a fickle game.

110 today. Back nine destroyed me. Three 10s, yet two pars. Golf is a fickle game.

Golf is hard. Two pars though, that's excellent!

I couldn't keep it in play off the tee. I was just a slicing machine. I tried switching from the driver to the mini, but it was just more of the same. My normally atrocious putting was extra atrocious today. I'd guess I had more three putts than not.
Which mini are you gaming?

A couple of days ago first round of the year in this area. My brother and me played together and he scored 101. I holed out at 110. There was some dreadful chipping and putting was below par, so to say. The green was very slow and a lot of the putts fell short. Not so pleased with my iron play either. So yesterday I went to the driving range and had a good session. Hopefully will do better next time out.

a good range session can restore your faith.

Let us have a high-capper review of this club, please.

I certainly qualify as a high-capper, but I don't know how helpful my review will be.

When I first started playing I couldn't hit anything that resembled a wood driver, hybrids, and fairway woods were essentially useless to me. Even lessons didn't help that.

I was messing around at the store one day and found that I hit the Aeroburner Mini pretty well. It was new at the time, and I'm cheap, so I bought a SLDR mini instead. It was instantly my tee-off club. Unlike a real driver I could actually get it in the air. What was even better was that I even hit it straight a good portion of the time. It was the closest thing I've ever found to a miracle club.

Not only do I use it off the tee a lot (although I also swing a regular driver these days), but it works great for me off the deck as well (I still can't hit a fairway wood or hybrid). I find it easy to elevate, and get almost the same distance from the turf as from the tee. The deep face and rounded leading edge make it very difficult to hit fat.

It probably doesn't do a whole lot that a 3 wood doesn't do for most, but I can actually hit this club. Trying a 3 wood just results in topped balls and slices out of bounds.

Those that are having trouble breaking 100 the answer is pretty simple- get instruction, because the fact is you have multiple issues with your swing.

Don't want to do that? OK, then the next simple answer is buy a golf bag phone clip mount and look at your swing on video, it's so easy and I guarantee most that struggle have never even seen what their own swing looks like! it's nuts because I also guarantee they have a decent idea what a good swing should look like. So just watching some video and little range time to fix even one big flaw could reap all sorts of rewards, do it.

Those that are having trouble breaking 100 the answer is pretty simple- get instruction, because the fact is you have multiple issues with your swing.

Don't want to do that? OK, then the next simple answer is buy a golf bag phone clip mount and look at your swing on video, it's so easy and I guarantee most that struggle have never even seen what their own swing looks like! it's nuts because I also guarantee they have a decent idea what a good swing should look like. So just watching some video and little range time to fix even one big flaw could reap all sorts of rewards, do it.
MrDC, I believe all of have had at least some instruction, and I know I do a decent amount of range work. I'm going to be going back to get some more lessons in the next few week.

With all due respect, for some people it isn't as simple as you think. I've taken lessons. They helped to a degree. Often a lesson focusing on irons would kill my driver swing for a while or vice-versa. It gave me more of an idea of what I SHOULD be doing. Of course, knowing what a good swing should look/feel like and actually making that happen are two different things.

I don't say that to discredit instruction, as I actually plan on getting more soon. It's just not quite as simple as "take a few lessons and you'll be under 100".

For me it's not even about getting there anymore. I've broken 100 several times, but can't do it consistently. Some days things just seem to click and other days they don't. Figuring out the differences in those kinds of days is something I don't think lessons are necessarily helpful with.

I could be wrong, but I get the distinct feeling that most of the folks that come into this thread with a "sure fire" way to break 100 haven't struggled with doing so in quite some time.

One thing that I think would help me quite a bit is truly knowing how far I hit each club and then having some distance measuring/gps device to know exactly how far out I am. I'd still have to put a good swing together, but at least club selection would be correct.

What good is a perfect swing if you picked your 100 TD club for a shot that was 130 yds or your 150 yd club for a 120yd shot.

I'll be spending lots of time on the range working on the swing and on knowing my distances.

One thing that I think would help me quite a bit is truly knowing how far I hit each club and then having some distance measuring/gps device to know exactly how far out I am. I'd still have to put a good swing together, but at least club selection would be correct.

What good is a perfect swing if you picked your 100 TD club for a shot that was 130 yds or your 150 yd club for a 120yd shot.

I'll be spending lots of time on the range working on the swing and on knowing my distances.

This is my goal for the next few weeks at the range. I have the ProTracer app on my phone, and am just working through the bag trying to get average distances. I think doing this the week before Saturday's round really helped me score well.

I just go to the range at my local muni course, so no ProTracer available, but that sounds sweet. I may have to check some of the more expensive courses to see if any of them have it on their ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back