Industry Talk & News - The Dean Has Spoken Volume 5 – THP Radio

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Radio is back with a bang in 2016 and today we are continuing with our new show called The Dean Has Spoken. Tackling on demand audio for the world of golf like never before, each episode will be filled with controversial topics where both sides will be presented and the Dean of THP will sound off on them.

Five Topics
Ten Arguments
Only One Right Answer

This Episode
Opinions on Callaway Live
Major Changes at Cleveland Golf
Can Toulon Design Survive
WGC Dell Matchplay Format Opinions
Grandura Shafts Future
And so much more

Join us by listening at the link below, or as always you can find us on iTunes at The Hackers Paradise.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-dean-has-spoken-volume-5-thp-radio/

You get us excited today with talk of Amanda Balionis and here comes Dean.

I kid, ddec has been great on this. Downloaded for a listen while I'm wide awake later tonight.

Listened to it all while Lotte was finishing her nap, 31 mins of fun.

Seriously some deep topics this time and I love that.

The Cleveland thing upsets me a bit, but I get it, it's a business. Toulon has got some solid buzz already rolling and I love that it sounds like they're doing thi gs the right way from the start. Grandura is mind boggling, and a let down to me as the tech in this shafts is silly legit.

Great stuff gents

Another good listen. The changes at Cleveland are intriguing and hope that it helps brings more marketing if their oviducts and not just their wedges.

The Grandura situation is interesting, that is a quick come and gone.

I hope Toulon can survive. They have some good looking putters and having them available to test in stores should help.

Dean and Josh are a great combination!! Exciting show for sure. Will need a second listen to pick up all the information! Really sad to hear about the Grandura shafts story!!

Listened to it all while Lotte was finishing her nap, 31 mins of fun.

Seriously some deep topics this time and I love that.

The Cleveland thing upsets me a bit, but I get it, it's a business. Toulon has got some solid buzz already rolling and I love that it sounds like they're doing thi gs the right way from the start. Grandura is mind boggling, and a let down to me as the tech in this shafts is silly legit.

Great stuff gents

The Cleveland thing upset me too, it was kind of hard to talk about it. Gone are guys that I always looked forward to seeing and talking to at the PGA Show and California trips. It's a business, I get it, but I don't have to like it.

I know this podcast ran a little long, but I wanted to throw out a nice thank you to all that have been listening or will give this one a listen.

The Cleveland thing upset me too, it was kind of hard to talk about it. Gone are guys that I always looked forward to seeing and talking to at the PGA Show and California trips. It's a business, I get it, but I don't have to like it.
Amen dude. I could tell by your reaction to the topic we feel the same about it.

I know this podcast ran a little long, but I wanted to throw out a nice thank you to all that have been listening or will give this one a listen.

You say that about this and most people apologize that their event recaps run long, but I always appreciate when people spend their time to bring their point of view to the forum. I know I don't apologize anymore when I write on and on in a recap.

Best show yet! Well done fellas. I agree with JB on Callaway Live, last year and I stopped watching half way through. I will give this year's version a try.

Cleveland is an interesting case and I will likely be sad to see many of those guys go. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

Ouch Grandura, at least I have a great fly swatter.

I agree Fresca is solid.

A tour behind the scenes at Toulon would be terrific.

Single elimination FTW!

Well done Guy's! Very informative!

Another good listen guys. I even downloaded a podcast app and subscribed. I learned a lot from this one. To me this had a different feel to it, was more of a conversation between you guys than the previous episodes. I really enjoyed the scoop on Cleveland Golf and Grandura....crazy.

Callaway Live I will admit, I watched a few last year and it was ok, but I have watched them all this season so far and they have been very well done. Phil's episode was really good.

As for Toulon, I'm not a big boutique putter guy but had no idea that Cameron dominates the market like that. I'm rooting for the them to break in and hang around.

With the match play, get rid of the round robin, one and done is how brackets should be!

Really enjoyed this episode and I'm with Dean on the need for a 'Breaking News' sound effect :D

It was interesting to hear about Cleveland and Grandura, but I think that just goes to show how difficult it is to continually produce and sell a product in the golf world.

I'm not a boutique putter guy, but I'm hoping Toulon makes it long term.

Well done, gents!

Great episode. So surprising to hear about grandura as they did move the needle very quickly with quality product. Even more surprising about cleveland/srixon/xxio, I knew nothing of it. I'm not a fan of the round Robin style of the early matches in the WGC match play. It should be win or go home IMO.

Have this teed up for my commute in the am, looking forward to hearing what's up

Great episode, guys. I commented that you just can't get insight like this on what's happening in the industry anywhere else. I was sorry to hear about what's happening at Cleveland and Grandura, but, it's still great to hear it. I also agree on what's happened to the Match Play tournament. It was interesting in parts, but, as a whole, to me, it wasn't that exciting, and I really enjoy match play, normally, playing or watching.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It was a tweaked format, due to the topics, but as The Dean said, we will be returning to our regular format next episode.

And yes Fresca is delicious.

Good episode, I had no clue about Grandura or Cleveland but great inside info on those companies.

I agree something needs to change about the WGC Matchplay format. I would propose everyone plays 2 rounds of stroke play so you get to see the big names play a few rounds and then take the top 16 from stroke play and rank them based on scores from the stroke play and do regular bracket from there on out. I realize you will need a tie breaker but it can be something simple with most eagles/birdies during the first two rounds.

Going to give this a listen tomorrow.

I will be listening on my way to corporate in the AM

Good show fellas. "7". Hahaha nicely played Dean.

Grandura thing was a little shocking. I'm not that shocked by the Cleveland thing. IMO they have been irrelevant for a few years really. I hope Tulon makes it. But it interesting to here the numbers you guys were throwing around, and how that would put them with regards to Cameron and Betinardi. I know the numbers were pin point accurate but interesting none the less. WGC Match Play is the worse week for TV golf. Watching 4 golfers play on Sunday is terrible. Consolation match....after they just lost the morning matches, seem like bad business.

Another great episode. That's really too bad about Cleveland and Grandura. It will be interesting to see how the future unfolds for Cleveland. I was also hoping to give Grandura a try in the future, probably not a big chance of that now. I completely agree on the WGC Matchplay format. Double elimination seems like a money grab and waters it down in my view. Nice job guys!

Can't wait to give it a listen once the kiddos go to bed!

Really enjoyed the episode yet again. I really enjoy Callaway Live and really think Season 2 has been phenomenal.

Disappointing to hear about Grandura and I really hope Toulon does well. Didn't really know where the putter sales were for the boutique putter companies were so that was interesting.

I am ehh on the WGC.. Never got excited about it until the weekend and I like the format but think 2 weeks before a Masters is bad scheduling like Dean said.

Great job guys! Honestly I don't think I've listened to one of these yet but now it looks like I'm going to have to dig them up. I enjoy the game of golf but I wouldn't consider myself an "interested in the industry" type of guy (don't hang me please). I enjoy it for the sport, probably like most here, but you know sitting here thinking about it, since I joined THP I've really learned a lot about the game, the companies and their products, and a little about the industry as well. Thanks THP!

Back